Sponsored

Overland or Rubicon - Can't Decide

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Yes, I was concerned the Overland would need a lift and gearing change. However, I have had zero issues running the trails around Central Florida. So, if you are not rock climbing and need a truck for the sand, mud and Florida beaches, you may want to look at the Overland and save some money.

<snip>This truck has exceeded my expectations.
Good post!
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have had zero issues running the trails around Central Florida.
OK, now I am getting interested in those Central Florida trails. I have driven Hwy 19 through Ocala National Forest many times, but never stopped to do a trail. After reading your post, I tried to find some info, but mostly I see hiking, horseback, and ATV trails mentioned. Can you save me some time and point to a website with info on trails where jeeps are allowed?

Pug

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
OK, now I am getting interested in those Central Florida trails. I have driven Hwy 19 through Ocala National Forest many times, but never stopped to do a trail. After reading your post, I tried to find some info, but mostly I see hiking, horseback, and ATV trails mentioned. Can you save me some time and point to a website with info on trails where jeeps are allowed?
There are miles and miles of trails right off 19 near Salt Springs. The trails are marked with a motorcycle, atv, and/ or Jeep Wrangler. I have run on these trails for hours and never taken the same trail. There is a ranger station with free maps of the trail. Not sure exactly where on 19 but this is where I first went and got the information. You can go a number of miles north and south of Salt Springs on 19. There is also another more challenging place with trails north of there. It is about an hour from Salt Springs near Interlockin I believe. Been there a couple of times. I can look it up if you are interested.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
There are miles and miles of trails right off 19 near Salt Springs. The trails are marked with a motorcycle, atv, and/ or Jeep Wrangler. I have run on these trails for hours and never taken the same trail. There is a ranger station with free maps of the trail. Not sure exactly where on 19 but this is where I first went and got the information. You can go a number of miles north and south of Salt Springs on 19. There is also another more challenging place with trails north of there. It is about an hour from Salt Springs near Interlockin I believe. Been there a couple of times. I can look it up if you are interested.
Thanks! And yes I am interested. I have traveled between SW Florida and SE So. Carolina so many times, but usually just passing through. With family, it's usually I-75, US-301 and I-95. but when I am by myself I go right up through the middle of the state.

I think I've seen the ranger station just as you enter Ocala N.F. from the south.

Pug

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Thanks! And yes I am interested. I have traveled between SW Florida and SE So. Carolina so many times, but usually just passing through. With family, it's usually I-75, US-301 and I-95. but when I am by myself I go right up through the middle of the state.

I think I've seen the ranger station just as you enter Ocala N.F. from the south.
Yes, that is where the ranger station is. There is a strip shopping center with a diner very near to the station. Only place to get food except for a convenience store

Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
And after all that money, you have the least capable truck in the country because your payload is now likely down into the 3-digit range and your towing is a miserable <5,000 lb figure on a good day with nothing else in the truck. And as far as off-roading, you still don't have the 32-spline heavy duty axle shafts or diffs, regardless of what you re-geared your axle ratio to, and your track width is still 1.5" narrower which reduces your off-camber stability.

But... whatever.

I haven't found a single way yet to slice the watermelon where the Overland is a better purchase. It doesn't have the off-road chops the Rubicon has, it doesn't have any options or features you can't get on the Rubicon, and it also doesn't have the ability to do the work of a pickup truck that the Sport can do. It's very much a black sheep in the lineup.
hey trxman all Gladiators have 32-spline axles even narrow track so

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Some benefits of Rubicon:

4.10 gears
Wide track axles
Lockers
Electronic swaybar disconnect
Highline fender flares
Nicer looking hood
Fox shocks
Bigger/nicer tires AT or MT

Overland

More of a feminine model
Better daily driver
More luxurious
Feminine?
Jeep Gladiator Overland or Rubicon - Can't Decide jeep2

jeep1.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was talking about the JK. Mine had 3.73. Unless you special order it, it'll come with 3.73 with the auto
We are on a JT forum...

You are still incorrect, ALL Rubicons models (regardless of engine & transmission options) have always came with 4.10 gears from the factory.

*** Read the last line...

Jeep Gladiator Overland or Rubicon - Can't Decide Jeep Gear Ratios

Jdyowa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
Manager
We are on a JT forum...

You are still incorrect, ALL Rubicons models (regardless of engine & transmission options) have always came with 4.10 gears from the factory.

*** Read the last line...

Jeep Gladiator Overland or Rubicon - Can't Decide Jeep Gear Ratios
You sure like telling me I'm wrong. I'm so fing right. My 2016 Rubicon Unlimited had 3.73 gears with auto.
Thats a fact. You have to special order them with the auto. The JT does come with 4.10 regardless

Observe....

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/rubicon-gears-3-73.1378249/

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You sure like telling me I'm wrong. I'm so fing right. My 2016 Rubicon Unlimited had 3.73 gears with auto.
Thats a fact. You have to special order them with the auto. The JT does come with 4.10 regardless

Observe....

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/rubicon-gears-3-73.1378249/
You said they they came with it, as if they all did straight from the factory... Special order is not all. You never said “you can get it special order”...”

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Im confused on how this turned into a JK/JKU discussion??? Last Generation Wrangler? Maybe the JL has some relevance? But this is JT land (and for the record my non Rubi JKU originally had the 3.73).
Sponsored