Overland trailer safety

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I have been following the overland threads, has anyone thought about safety? Do you walk up hill or down of your trailer? Trailer recovery points, trailer blocks for dropping the trailer, a working hand brake, spare parts for hubs. Ahh how about couple of spare lug nuts for when you drop one in the night while raining? Do you pass a vehicle on the drivers side when you walk by? I know from experience how frustrating it can be when things go south in a hurry. I will also mention when off the ground three points of contact, this does not mean you hitting your head on a rock as point of contact.
Sponsored

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
I’ll chime in, I have had an Offroad teardrop for over 3 years now. I purchased a Hiker trailer because bang for the buck they offered great capability, an affordable price, impressive quality, and most of all a proven and thoughtful design. Their Offroad trailer used a solid axle so you can readily limp it off a trail and get replacement parts if need be, jacks that can lift the tires off the ground for tire changes, and rated recovery points in the rear. I always walk on the uphill side if I’m on a slant, I chock my rig and trailer if I’m stopping on any slope, but prefer to keep going or keep someone in the driver seat when the situation is less than ideal. My trailer has entry doors on both sides so I can access the interior no matter where danger (traffic, cliff, etc) is. First thing I do if I’m stopping is chock wheels and put down stability jacks, even if I’m just stopping for lunch. Jacks are on all 3 corners so the trailer is as stable as can be. My trailer is also using the same hub and lug pattern as my tow vehicle so I can share wheels and tires.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
No, if things get that rough I leave the trailer. It becomes a burden at that point. On the JL I had a roof bubble for added storage, the JL has a bed. Might have to pare down what I bring or set up a base camp and leave the trailer.
Sponsored