First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
What made you choose passenger side over driver side?
I might get flamed for this but here goes…

These awning systems were first developed in South Africa and Australia where they drive on the left side of the road. So when these were first developed they were offered to deploy on the left side of the road. This is in case you wanted to pull off the road for a quick lunch etc. you would not be on the traffic side.

Now we drive on the right side but the same principal applies. Also most campgrounds allow space on the right side of where you park to set out your awning so that’s why we went this route.

Hope this makes sense…
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
what does this thing look like all packed up. seems to be very few photos showing that.
Thanks to @Rokon for posting that picture. Depending on how you mount it it may look a bit different. Let me know if you want a pic of my set up.

One comment about the bag in reading about all the different manufacturers a common complaint is that it’s hard to close up the bag when putting things away, particularly on units that have hinges front and back. But I can say it’s not that hard to do with the OVS system.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
if it's not much trouble. The system intrigues me, but my fun money is burned out for the moment with the purchase of the new jeep. My finance manager (wife) has me on lock down.

That being said, living in the land of the sun I am always looking for ways to stay out of that laser hot stuff.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
nice setup Eddie, we went with the LT version for the super fast setup. They had just released the awning walls for the LT, just received it and looking forward to trying it out. I agree on packing it away, figured it out after several tries on how to roll it up, zips up tidy with no issues.

tempImageuktsBK.png

Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
OK guys here are some additional pictures…

I ordered the 3 walls in an effort to increase useable space even if the weather isn’t cooperating and I have to say I’m impressed. The 3 walls easily zipper to the awning and to each other (except wall 2/3 interface which has Velcro).
They are labeled which makes installation a breeze after a day of hard driving. The base where you install the stakes have shock cord to minimize stress on the system. Very nice! As you can see in the pictures the walls don’t just hang down but extend out maybe 3.5 to 4 feet giving you much more useable space!

It took me maybe 15 minutes to set everything up my first time. I’m sure it will go a lot faster next time…
Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review tempImageuktsBK
Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review tempImageuktsBK
Looks awesome but more than the look, the utility of the walls is what I'll appreciate. You dont have to re position your car everytime the sun moves, instant privacy and good for windy and rainy days. I wish they made an option for a wall to be netting so you can see through it.

It looks like I got it at a great price because the prices went up. Granted i have to wait another month but a month wont kill me. I looked up the walls on amazon and it was 300 dollars per wall if purchased seperately😮.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
We love our AluCab camper and awning. I have been considering the walls for the winter but not sure how much we would use them. I may figure something our for a temporary system to test it and decide.

I like the idea of having the awning on the right for pulling off the road.

562B657F-50CA-4B6F-AA5B-68B9BBC2401A.jpeg

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
nice setup Eddie, we went with the LT version for the super fast setup. They had just released the awning walls for the LT, just received it and looking forward to trying it out. I agree on packing it away, figured it out after several tries on how to roll it up, zips up tidy with no issues.

Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review 562B657F-50CA-4B6F-AA5B-68B9BBC2401A
I have the same awning on the way. Did you use the supplied brackets or the Leitner HD brackets?

Reactions: aai

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same awning on the way. Did you use the supplied brackets or the Leitner HD brackets?
I used the supplied OVS brackets, very strong. I did use the heavier T nuts and bolts from Leitner to mount the OVS bracket to Leitner rack. Had ordered several packs of them to have them around for future expansion on rack. Images loads up incorrectly, sorry about that

Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review tempImageC5avHA

Jeep Gladiator Overland Vehicle Systems 270 Batwing Awning - an initial review tempImageY8HPUN

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I used the supplied OVS brackets, very strong. I did use the heavier T nuts and bolts from Leitner to mount the OVS bracket to Leitner rack. Had ordered several packs of them to have them around for future expansion on rack. Images loads up incorrectly, sorry about that
Perfect, thanks! I have about three bags of the Leitner T nuts for the same reason.

Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered the 270 awning for my next RTT Trailer build. So stoked.

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk
Has anyone installed the OVS 270 on an RSI platform rack?
any issues? Experience?

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Question, for those that have the 270 awning. So today I used the awning for the 1st time since last fall. When I set it up I noticed 2 small blemishes that seem to be pre maturely wearing..... I couldnt figure out what could of caused this because these points where they were located were not stressed from tension. As I was folding it back up I found out what caused these blemishes. The bars when they fold, the upper and lower bars make contact at the exact same spots as the blemishes. I think when the bars vibrate from normal driving, it runs against the fabric and causing the premature wear. Has this happened to anyone else that has this awning or do I just have bad luck 😂
It's the same exact points on the left side and right side.

Will be contacting ovs monday...

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Are you guys still happy with your awnings ?
I'm going back and forth from the "regular" 270 to the LT version

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
We love ours. No issues, sturdy, huge, and easy to deploy/fold up.

IMG_20220702_161615303_HDR.jpg
Sponsored