Sponsored

Plasti-Dip'd the roof white this weekend

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
This is something I wanted to do to my JK but never got around to it. The interior temps in the summer are brutal with a black top and no insulation so I figured I'd do something about it. I wasn't going to paint the entire top since there's no way that rattle-can white would match my white Gladiator so I only coated the very top. I popped out the freedom panels, cleaned and masked them and sprayed them white with plasti-dip on Saturday and reinstalled them. Sunday morning at around 10AM with the air temp at 70°, low humidity and sunny skies, I measured the interior temp of the freedom panels at the thickest part with an IR thermometer, 89°. I then measured the the hardtop in the exact same way, 128° !!! A temperature differential of 39° is HUGE!!! The plasti-dip didn't cover as well as I hoped, I went through 5 cans and a total of 8 or 9 coats. Depending on how well it holds up I may just redo it later with automotive paint.

Jeep Gladiator Plasti-Dip'd the roof white this weekend IMG-0377
Sponsored

Last edited:

mjgpol99

First Name
manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
This is something I wanted to do to my JK but never got around to it. The interior temps in the summer are brutal with a black top and no insulation so I figured I'd do something about it. I wasn't going to paint the entire top since there's no way that rattle-can white would match my white Gladiator so I only coated the very top. I popped out the freedom panels, cleaned and masked them and sprayed them white with plasti-dip on Saturday and reinstalled them. Sunday morning at around 10AM with the air temp at 70°, low humidity and sunny skies, I measured the interior temp of the freedom panels at the thickest part with an IR thermometer, 89°. I then measured the the hardtop in the exact same way, 128° !!! A temperature differential of 39° is HUGE!!! The plasti-dip didn't cover as well as I hoped, I went through 5 cans and a total of 8 or 9 coats. Depending on how well it holds up I may just redo it later with automotive paint.

You can go to an automotive paint supplier (ppg) and they will make you a rattle can that will match your paint code.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Better yet, have them mix your color and provide you with hardener and reducer. Then mix your own and spray it with a Preval sprayer.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
got

any photos of the JT while standing on the ground? I wonder if the white top looks goofy.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland

It was 94 here today. We have white with painted top. Just that alone has kept things very cool when entering and the AC gets it cold fast.

wiredup60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2012 Audi R8, 2018 Land Rover LR4
Nice job! I am thinking about painting my black hard top white to match the rest of truck. I hadn't thought of plasti dip. Like you said, hard to match. Maybe I will take to a paint shop.

OP
OP
Psycho Squirrel

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
I’m 6 feet tall at this pic was taken at eye level. I left about a 3 inch band of black all the way around.
Jeep Gladiator Plasti-Dip'd the roof white this weekend C75DF139-5D7A-4235-8869-5FDF5A84F61E

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
A temperature differential of 39° is HUGE!!!
This is why I bought a white JT with white top. And why I bought the HotHeads headliner kit. (Shouldn't they call it NotHotHeads?)

Where I live, it's summer year round.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Azriel62

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Dodge dually, 05 Toyota Sequoia, 49 power wagon
Occupation
Retired
I’m 6 feet tall at this pic was taken at eye level. I left about a 3 inch band of black all the way around.
Jeep Gladiator Plasti-Dip'd the roof white this weekend C75DF139-5D7A-4235-8869-5FDF5A84F61E
Psycho Squirrel, nice to see some one had the same idea I've had.. How is your top holding up? Planning on doing mine with white line X when they start their colors back up around June.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Cool idea, I had some surprisingly good luck with Plasti Dip on my old truck. Would be curious how it holds up when you're handling the freedom panels taking them off and on.
Sponsored