Poll: If you removed body bolts did any break

Body Bolts, If you removed some and they did or did not break

• Total voters

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I am considering installing sliders that require removing 6 body bolts and was curious if this problem was as widespread as it seems.
Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Some folks use heat; we did not. We were very careful and didn't have any problems. A couple are tricky because of the way they only partly unscrew then feel sort of odd, like you may have stripped the threads. You just have to pull them out.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
The front two are the only ones I was worried about breaking. They used red locktite on them from the factory. I used a breaker bar on them and then hit them with an impact slowly working them in and out. The rear driver side bolt would not drop out all the way so I had to put the a wrench around the bolt and washer and pry on it as I spun the bolt the rest of the way off.

I ordered two new front bolts from the dealer before hand. I wanted to replace them after putting all that stress on them while taking them out. I cleaned off the red locktite with a wire wheel and just used blue on them.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
No impact. Breaker bar and use steady force. Go slow. Not a race, just another project to get done.

Depending on who you buy sliders from, you may get all new hardware with sliders.

There are metal retaining clips, some say they are plastic but I pulled them out, that hold the body bolts so they don't fall out. They can be a bear to get bolt out of or started back in.
If you want to remove them, after bolt is out take long needle nose pliers, grab the little sucker and pull it out.

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
If you did manage to break one, what then? Curious as sliders are on the list, just haven’t gotten there yet.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you did manage to break one, what then? Curious as sliders are on the list, just haven’t gotten there yet.
Then you're looking at cutting sheet metal. They are all captured nuts in internal pockets.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Then you're looking at cutting sheet metal. They are all captured nuts in internal pockets.
I was also worried about this so I went and talked with a local body shop. The owner said he breaks the body bolts once in awhile and that they are easy to drill out. He even showed me one that he did so on recently. He told me that if I ended up breaking a bolt that he could have it drilled out and fixed in no time. $50 charge.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
No problem removing 6 of mine. Slow and steady with a breaker bar. Easy peasy

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I cleaned off the red locktite with a wire wheel and just used blue on them.
Were you not concerned about removing the corrosion protection on the bolt (using a wire wheel) - be it plated or black oxide?

Sponsored

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I did the six when installing the rock slide engineering step sliders. No impact, just loosing with ratchet a turn or so out and the half that back in and repeat. No issues and seemed to clean the locktight from the threads. It sounds a little scary if you go too far, but everything was good.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Regular 1/2” drive ratchet. If it binds up, run it back in a little, and let the bolt cool for a minute. Repeat as often as necessary.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Didn't break any bolts, but I wouldn't describe it as easy. I used a breaker bar, and it took a lot of force. Typically, it was only a half turn or so, and then back a quarter turn. Reversing when it gets seized is very important, as it clears the threads of debris.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I cheated and used a Induction Heater. Came out with little fuss.

20201109_172858.jpg

20201109_131914.jpg