Sponsored

*POP* Spiiiiiiiiiiiiin HOLY SH!*

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
So, hop in the JT this morning, start her up, put her in gear, roll forward about 40 feet and do a left turn to back up and turn around and *POP* in the front end, steering wheel jumps out of my hands and spins. Vehicle unstable light starts flashing, while slowly going straight steering wheel is 90 degrees counterclockwise from centered, entire truck is wobbling like it's on square tires.

I stop and climb out to look things over. Passenger front is straight, driver front is toed in, bad. Tie rod bar and drag link bar are both very loose when you grab and try to move them. Truck is not stable enough to drive.

Nothing appears broken, bent, or missing.

Rubicon, stock suspension, aftermarket 17" wheels and 35 " tires. Has NOT been offroad. Has hit the normal city potholes that can't always be avoided.

Will call dealer in morning, expecting a forever waiting period.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Sounds like some threads skipped on the tie rod. Could have been a loose collar or just a random failure

OP
OP

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Sounds like some threads skipped on the tie rod. Could have been a loose collar or just a random failure
I thought about that, but usually you will see evidence of them jumping. The normal grime build up looks undisturbed on both tie rod and drag link bars.

She is parked until Jeep can look at her. If I can't get a satisfactory response/repair then an excuse to throw Synergy parts in that area.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Pics? Need more info to see what's happening. Its not possible for one tire to be toed in without the other unless the tierod/balljoint/hub has experienced a failure.

OP
OP

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Sorry, no.

Already ran adjuster for tie rods out and drag link out so I can drive it to Jeep.

Unstable idiot light no longer flashing so I got it somewhat close.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not clear on what happened but I sure wouldn't drive it.
No kidding - if it's a part that's broken, it could let loose at any time, and at speed is when there's great FORCE wanting to move those wheels toe-out. No way I'd drive it until I knew EXACTLY what caused it. No chance. It would be up on my trailer post-haste and hauled in.

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
If you've still got the factory rims and tires I'd toss those back on before taking it to the dealer. I could see them blaming it on an alignment shop or whoever installed the aftermarket wheels/tires (which is certainly a possibility).

Sponsored

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
+1 on upgrading drag link and tie rod. The stock one is like spaghetti on heavier equipment. I hate this happened to you good luck getting it straightend out

Jeep Gladiator *POP* Spiiiiiiiiiiiiin HOLY SH!* AD130703-9BF7-420C-922D-BA2A988B50D4
Jeep Gladiator *POP* Spiiiiiiiiiiiiin HOLY SH!* 5E453372-A31B-471D-8DCF-0881C69DD4ED

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
First thought was you left it in 4WD on drive pavement.

Be interesting to hear what the dealership says on this.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
First thought was you left it in 4WD on drive pavement.

Be interesting to see what the dealership says on this.
My F250 would bind up so hard it would pop and actually make it hard to move it.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
My F250 would bind up so hard it would pop and actually make it hard to move it.
Everything the OP mentioned reminded me of the same thing that happened to me when I turned in 4WD on drive payment in my Tacoma one time. Massive wheel pop and/or axle wrap situation.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
+1 on upgrading drag link and tie rod. The stock one is like spaghetti on heavier equipment. I hate this happened to you good luck getting it straightend out

Jeep Gladiator *POP* Spiiiiiiiiiiiiin HOLY SH!* 5E453372-A31B-471D-8DCF-0881C69DD4ED
You people with these gigantic steering components clearly never owned a stock CJ. JT/JL stock stuff is huge compared to past offerings...
Sponsored