First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You people with these gigantic steering components clearly never owned a stock CJ. JT/JL stock stuff is huge compared to past offerings...
Thats true, very robust stock setup compared to the old school. I owned a 91 and 92 YJ and a 2000 xj. None of those had 37’s and a gvwr of 6,000 pounds with front factory lockers either.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Dealer told me two weeks before they could get me in :swear:

So, it went to my alignment shop. They went all over the front end, said there is evidence of jumping threads on tie rod and drag link bars. They did an alignment, test drove it, told me it was all good but would recommend something a little stouter.

No, was not in 4 wheel drive. Was not even a hard left turn, just a standard 3 point turn to head other way.

Alignment shop did say they have had a high number of front end jobs due to the plethora of Charles Depressions around town.

Dunno, but there is some beef in her future.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Dealer told me two weeks before they could get me in :swear:

So, it went to my alignment shop. They went all over the front end, said there is evidence of jumping threads on tie rod and drag link bars. They did an alignment, test drove it, told me it was all good but would recommend something a little stouter.

No, was not in 4 wheel drive. Was not even a hard left turn, just a standard 3 point turn to head other way.

Alignment shop did say they have had a high number of front end jobs due to the plethora of Charles Depressions around town.

Dunno, but there is some beef in her future.
Good luck man. Lots of good options out there with regards to steering components. The reason i went with the stuff i did was I liked the adjustability. Specific to the aluminum, i liked how aluminum remembered it shape. The tie rod can take 17-20 degeees of bend and return to original shape. Good insurance for the lowest piece of the steering system.

OP
OP

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Went with Synergy. Tie rod bar and track bar should ship today. Drag link is on a 60 day ship notice, which is down by several weeks from not long ago.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Sorry, no.

Already ran adjuster for tie rods out and drag link out so I can drive it to Jeep.

Unstable idiot light no longer flashing so I got it somewhat close.
Why though? Your insurance (or even Jeep) should have free towing. No way in hell would I touch it, they have to see it exactly how it is. Messing with it means now the monkeys at the shop can miss something and say that since they didn't see it how it was they aren't able to "reproduce" or fix it properly. Admittedly I'm not that knowledgeable about vehicle mechanics.

Glad you're OK and now you get to play with shiny new parts, I would just want to make sure Jeep did what they needed and made sure it was fully documented before I did anything. Also, if you had all brand new components replaced you could've sold those off or kept them as spares ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Why though? Your insurance (or even Jeep) should have free towing. No way in hell would I touch it, they have to see it exactly how it is. Messing with it means now the monkeys at the shop can miss something and say that since they didn't see it how it was they aren't able to "reproduce" or fix it properly. Admittedly I'm not that knowledgeable about vehicle mechanics.

Glad you're OK and now you get to play with shiny new parts, I would just want to make sure Jeep did what they needed and made sure it was fully documented before I did anything. Also, if you had all brand new components replaced you could've sold those off or kept them as spares ;)

Why?

Because waiting for 2 weeks for 1st inspection is intolerable for less than a year old vehicle.

Why?

Because the feedback I got from MY trusted shop tells me warranty would be denied because of the pot hole situation in my town.

Why?

Because it is MY truck and I'm not waiting for 2 weeks for them to look at it and then tell me it will take 3 weeks for parts to get there and another month before they can get to it.

These Dealerships are NOT Jeep first. Their money is in the Dodge trucks.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Went with Synergy. Tie rod bar and track bar should ship today. Drag link is on a 60 day ship notice, which is down by several weeks from not long ago.
Let us know on your trackbar if you have to trim the metal out of the bracket and end. Lots of posts on the synergy trackbar not fitting well and getting a squeaking noise. Some say its no big deal to trim the metal away, but I'm not sure I would want to give a dealer an excuse to deny a steering issue if I had to grind away metal to make it fit.. Even synergy released new directions on what specifically to grind away to avoid contact

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
+1 on going own way and bypassing the stealership.

not to hijack this thread but while visiting in laws i had some time to go get first oil change at local DCJ dealer. All seemed well till i got home (3 miles) and noticed jeep was dumping oil everywhere. Not being familiar with the 3.6 as i should be, didnt realize filter location. Dealer made me drive it back to fix. Nursed it back watching oil pressure whole way. Oil everywhere from motor to transfer case. Geniuses didn’t tighten the canister cap. Had i been on my way back to birmingham instead of staying in tuscaloosa, I would have blown it up.

many dealers dont care. Could have been a disaster.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
+1 on going own way and bypassing the stealership.

not to hijack this thread but while visiting in laws i had some time to go get first oil change at local DCJ dealer. All seemed well till i got home (3 miles) and noticed jeep was dumping oil everywhere. Not being familiar with the 3.6 as i should be, didnt realize filter location. Dealer made me drive it back to fix. Nursed it back watching oil pressure whole way. Oil everywhere from motor to transfer case. Geniuses didn’t tighten the canister cap. Had i been on my way back to birmingham instead of staying in tuscaloosa, I would have blown it up.

many dealers dont care. Could have been a disaster.
This is exactly why I have passed up the “free” Jeep Wave oil changes, and do it myself. I sure hope they compensate you in some way.

OP
OP

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Tie rod bar and steering stabilizer relocation showed up today. Less than 24 hours after order.
Track bar will be here Friday.

Unfortunately the drag link bar is 60 days out, but that is everywhere I looked.

So this weekend will see some front end work on the JT.

As to the trimming of axle side bracket on track bar, that doesn't bother me. I will do a dry fit and see if there are any clearance issues. If there are, I'll break out my angle grinder and end grinder to do some metal rubbing.
Sponsored