First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
So as I get more familiar with off-roading/camping/beach driving, I'm in search of a portable grill/griddle. Looking to see what everyone else is cooking on when out in the wilderness.

Was originally looking at a Blackstone Adventure ready 22" griddle, but I'm hearing of some variances with production quality (construction and inner workings) and for 200 bucks, I'd rather try something true and tested, especially if I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Some places Dont allow open flame pits, so it's gas grill all day long for me.

So what's everyone's trusty cooking source?
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Rob
You can try a low cost propane grill that uses 1 lb propane tanks. One cost $25-45 that and a large baking pan / cookie sheet that's slightly larger than it you can then set the grill in or on top of to catch drippings and spills. Plus keep from sinking in sand. Then after you figure out it out how much you need or want. I have a few Coleman gas stoves and single burners from many years of use. After buying a few home / deck gas grills I just went with the low cost ones they last a few years then toss start with a new one. If you have the Coleman 2 burner stove, that and a Lodge cast iron grill / griddle will do. A while back I started making a wood box to store my Lodge sportsman grill in then I got carried away with it then made legs for it. It's easy to over think and spend on simple things :) with that I wish my small cast iron habachi grill didn't "grow legs" on me or I'd still be using it. I think I got it in West Germany (I thought I would "date" it's time frame) :facepalm: I hope that gives you some ideas and or direction. :like:

gonzoy5

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Unless you're doing a drawer system or something bigger, I'll add another vote for two burner stove. Basically all my cooking gear goes in a large Plano trunk (Moved to the 108L size since this pic) and goes along with a camp kitchen table and I'm set. If you want griddle they have griddle tops that fit over the two burner so you have options. I use a 5lbs propane tank now, but can use the small green 1lb tanks too to keep it smaller. Here's a view with my Outback as I just got the Jeep and haven't been camping yet :D Good luck!

Jeep Gladiator Portable Cooking 1593286979047

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
Jeep Gladiator Portable Cooking 2DD524D1-0B06-4A4B-B437-43545EC5AC0D

so for the time being I picked up this bad boy. Wanted something for my beach trip yesterday so I grabbed this, seasoned it properly the other night, and seasoned myself with a few cold ones. Performed admirably on the beach and quick cleanup. A little big for a small day trip so I’ll be looking at other smaller options, but this worked nicely for a group of 6

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
^^^ THIS ^^^ close thread :)

There's not many "lifetime" products on the market anymore but a Partner Steel stove is one of them.

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Jeep Gladiator Portable Cooking 2DD524D1-0B06-4A4B-B437-43545EC5AC0D

so for the time being I picked up this bad boy. Wanted something for my beach trip yesterday so I grabbed this, seasoned it properly the other night, and seasoned myself with a few cold ones. Performed admirably on the beach and quick cleanup. A little big for a small day trip so I’ll be looking at other smaller options, but this worked nicely for a group of 6
I have been struggling with what to get for car camping all week. I have typically just been a drive and hike in type when camping except for when with the Boy Scouts. The scouts had a whole trailer full of stuff so I never really accumulated any car camping cooking gear. The only thing I have are tiny little burners you can put in a pack.

I ended up getting the 17" model without the stand or top. I have never really cooked on a propane griddle before but it seems like a better option for camping. Going to season it tonight but I like the size and weight after the unboxing. I really wanted the one you have from a cooking standpoint but thought it would just be too much weight and bulk for tent\truck camping. I am only $80 in it so far and if I find a love the griddle I would probably just get on of the big ones for the deck. Hope I don't regret not going for the 22" with the stand.

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
I have been struggling with what to get for car camping all week. I have typically just been a drive and hike in type when camping except for when with the Boy Scouts. The scouts had a whole trailer full of stuff so I never really accumulated any car camping cooking gear. The only thing I have are tiny little burners you can put in a pack.

I ended up getting the 17" model without the stand or top. I have never really cooked on a propane griddle before but it seems like a better option for camping. Going to season it tonight but I like the size and weight after the unboxing. I really wanted the one you have from a cooking standpoint but thought it would just be too much weight and bulk for tent\truck camping. I am only $80 in it so far and if I find a love the griddle I would probably just get on of the big ones for the deck. Hope I don't regret not going for the 22" with the stand.
youll be more than happy with the 17. Honestly the only reason I went bigger was it came with the stand and hood. 17 would’ve been plenty and still might get one of those for the smaller 2 person day trips. Nice even heat though, very happy

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
^^^ THIS ^^^ close thread :)

There's not many "lifetime" products on the market anymore but a Partner Steel stove is one of them.
that thing is badass looking. Maybe that will be my smaller option. Very nice

Sponsored

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S. Max Tow.
Vehicle Showcase
Coleman Road tripper
Jeep Gladiator Portable Cooking 5df772df-cee8-406a-b136-72f3f3eac73a_1.9577e1db19d1b8566e1aa4709408109b[1]

Coleman Two Burner Stove
Jeep Gladiator Portable Cooking campingstove-2048px-19[1]

This should take care of all my needs.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I've got plenty of stoves at home for camping. My go to has always been my triple burner white gas 1960's Coleman. When I get my camper on the truck. I need to down size a bit. So I'm looking at the Cook Partner 9" dual burner with take apart hinges and a Southwest disk for cooking outside.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Costco had a travel size Traeger on sale this weekend. Between that and my coleman 2 burner, we are set.

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Blackstone griddle and PitBoss table top pellet bbq/smoker (cheaper version of a Traeger)
Sponsored