Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
May 28, 2021-
Found information today that supply of “higher brand oil” may soon run out, leaving us with budget oil as our only option for oil changes.

My son went today to KAL Tire for a set of tires and he told me the manager at the store instructed his Order Guy to stock up on their oil supply because an additive required in their oil is not being made available.

He came home after the install and told me. I drove right over there and asked the manager at KAL to clarify what my son heard him say. He said they received a memo to stock up as this additive in the oil has become hard to get for the oil manufacturer. They would normally order 350L at a time but this time they’ve had to order 1000L. Their store uses the Pennzoil brand. He said if the higher brands that use this additive in their manufacturing run out, we will only be able to use “budget low quality oils”. He told me this happened 4 years ago but nothing came of it but these days are different as products across the board are getting harder and harder to get.

I called my Amsoil rep about this and he didn’t hear of this yet. He called Amsoil Tech to ask and they told him products are getting hard to get but they have a good supply so far. If they run out of additives they will stop supplying that product. They will not sell a “low budget oil missing additives”.
That’s all the info I have on this so far.
Sponsored

Biff Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Truck
Well of course this is bound to happen, globally sources for good thin crude are getting sparser, that’s why you have to frack oil from shale or tar sands and it’s a dirtier, thicker oil that’s harder to refine.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
If there is a shortage of a particular necessary additive, then it’s just a matter of time before we’re clawing at cheap budget oil that don’t have those necessary additives. The manager’s concern I spoke with at KAL is that he wants to provide his customer base with the best oil they’ve been using for a longer period of time, hoping the additive shortage works itself out.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
This is exactly the kind of crap that causes shortages. Speculative hoarding. I can't find any evidence of shortages, upcoming or otherwise. Any shortages are going to artificial because people like this manager bought into the fear and caused it themselves.

5bad93d2200000e500ff0d8c.jpg

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
This is exactly the kind of crap that causes shortages. Speculative hoarding. I can't find any evidence of shortages, upcoming or otherwise. Any shortages are going to artificial because people like this manager bought into the fear and caused it themselves.

Jeep Gladiator Possible Shortage of “good oil” Coming 5bad93d2200000e500ff0d8c
It’s possible the unavailable additive is mined. Could be a mining issue or additive has to go elsewhere. Shortages are everywhere and availability of lots of items are now unattainable in reasonable time. Hell I ordered a simple tranny pan and gasket from Mopar On Line and was told I’d have to wait a month. The month went by and was told I have to wait two more months. These aren’t normal days we’re living in and you have to feel the squeeze. It’s weird.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Well of course this is bound to happen, globally sources for good thin crude are getting sparser, that’s why you have to frack oil from shale or tar sands and it’s a dirtier, thicker oil that’s harder to refine.
Sorry Biff, but I get to use my gif of the week here:

ko15870

First Name
ko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee; 2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
System Analyst
Has anyone heard what the additive is? So others can ask the same question and verify? Not trying to be smart or anything. Just curious.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Has anyone heard what the additive is? So others can ask the same question and verify? Not trying to be smart or anything. Just curious.
I will have to do some further enquiries.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Oils each have their own proprietary additives. It would be extremely unusual for all top oils to have this same problem. Additives are trade secrets. There's not a one fits all for oil.
Synthetic is also different, the base is different so if the base for non-synthetic is hard to come by, the base for synthetic won't necessarily be,
then there's bio-syn like I use in my classic cars.
To say they all use the same additive or even the same base stock is a bit - well, I'm very suspect to say the least.

Until or unless it's heard from a major REFINER, from a top oil company (like Mobil, Penzoil, Amsoil, etc.) - is it real?
The link is aimed at the European market............ makes me wonder.

Then there's the fact that there are dozens of top oils, all rated very highly at wear prevention.
All of them at once?