Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Emissions are bullshit anyway, so I could give a shit about the EPA or emissions testing. And yes, I care about the environment, but global warming is bullshit...Let's just be real and honest about it.

As for crash tests...It's already passed crash testing as a vehicle...It's in production for over a year now. Slapping 2 extra cylinders on an engine should not cause it to fail a crash test...Unless the vehicle was complete garbage to begin with... In which case, I'm sure as long as Jeeps have been around, and other than the JK with their well-known flaws, the Jeep Wrangler (as a whole) has been known as a very reliable and well-built vehicle.

Just personal thoughts, but I don't think that 2 extra cylinders should make that big of a difference... Now, the 200 extra HP and lbs.ft. of torque WOULD make a difference on how fast and hard you hit the wall, or another vehicle, but that would be on the driver's stupidity, not the crash-test capabilities. I mean, the 707HP Hellcat is legal in a Charger, and most of that car is made from recycled Rubbermade containers. ;) But then again if they test it at the same speeds, theoretically it shouldn't make a difference on how many cylinders, or how much power it has.
It's not just 2 cylinders, it's all the associated mass that goes along with it and the decrease/change in crumple zone because of a larger engine. Perhaps it is just fine, perhaps they didn't want to pay previously to certify the chassis for V8. Who knows for certain
Sponsored

Gymguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hydro Blue Unlimited Rubicon
Anyone have a guess as to when we could actually order the hemi JL or JT?

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Anyone have a guess as to when we could actually order the hemi JL or JT?
I'll bet they are peddling as fast as they can to get it to market in time to stop a few Bronco orders...

I'd seriously think about trading in the Mojave on a Max Tow Hemi if they make that available.

Finnmalloy04

First Name
Finn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
Occupation
High School Student
I would hope Jeep makes this a package tbh I would love a Sport S with a 6.4L!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Jeep has reportedly said that the Hemi has not been available because it wouldn't pass the crash testing.
Well, first, "Jeep" has said no such thing.

This belief that the Hemi couldn't pass crash tests comes from an interview that Australian media did with Tim Kuniskis. He was asked about the Hellcat, which is when he said it wouldn't pass crash tests.

https://m.drive.com.au/news/jeep-gauging-interest-in-two-door-ute-121117

Kuniskis also watered-down any possibility of high-performance versions of the Wrangler and Gladiator, potentially powered by the company's fire-breathing Hellcat supercharged V8.
I think that the way this was worded suggested to people that ANY high performance versions were not possible. But his quote continues, continually referring to "IT," as in the Hellcat.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
In this podcast, starting at 1:16:30, they begin to discuss the 392.

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/truckshowpodcast/Ep_130_Bonus_comp_v2.mp3?dest-id=671427

One of the hosts says that he was told that the Hemi was definitely going to production back in November 2018.

The Kuniskis quote about crash testing was from April 2019.

So either Kuniskis was unaware of production plans, he lied, or he was specifically talking about the Hellcat.

The host also says that there are big plans in the works for Wrangler, that he can't discuss yet, for embargo reasons.

akguy47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Oilfield
Vehicle Showcase
One of the reasons I bought a gladiator was because I wanted a mid sized jeep truck without the typical tool mentality of the fly by hemi trucks. I guess I'll have to trade this thing in sooner than I thought. Hmm maybe I should flip it now with all the mods I got done with it.
I am going with a supercharger. For the money and HP gain I figure it's the way to go. I don't want to go over 400 HP. At around that much power no hemi truck should pass you.

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I am going with a supercharger. For the money and HP gain I figure it's the way to go. I don't want to go over 400 HP. At around that much power no hemi truck should pass you.
I would politely suggest you go conservative on that tune. I've read about a number of boosted late model Jeep engines self destructing.

RenoRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA REALLY needs to bring the V8 to the gladiator, it makes more sense than for the wrangler.
@JeepCares
Bronco is already moving in on a Jeep Gladiator competitor in a pickup truck form quickly....

No IFS

First Name
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Banned
One great thing if FCA does put the hemi in the jeep wrangler and gladiator it’ll make Hemi conversions much much easier at least here in California. They would be legal.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One great thing if FCA does put the hemi in the jeep wrangler and gladiator it’ll make Hemi conversions much much easier at least here in California. They would be legal.
And CHEAPER for aftermarket kits. If you can get a 6.4 Hemi for less than $10K upgrade option, you should be able to get a Hemi conversion done for WAY less than $25K-$35K. Probably bring it down to $15K or so...Hopefully.

Last edited:

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Over 50% of the conversion cost is labor and yes, welding is involved!
Sponsored