First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
The Kuniskis quote about crash testing was from April 2019.

So either Kuniskis was unaware of production plans, he lied, or he was specifically talking about the Hellcat.
It was said again in that online call with all the Gladiator people earlier this year. So even just a few months ago they were either lying or confirming that the V8 is terrible in crash test safety.
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I think it would be cool to see a factory supercharged version of the 3.6 utilizing the Hellcat architecture. The platform is already in the ECM and cannot be used cause the aftermarket stuff is missing the electrical bypass and some sensors. Supercharged 3.6L would definitely give the bronco turbo a run for its money. If they wanted to get really sophisticated throw in the Sahara transfer case with part-time AWD and Eaton Helical LSD with front locker. Make the 2 inch lift and 35s a package, like Bigfoot or something, Yeti!

No IFS

First Name
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Banned
Maybe it’ll be like the Hellcat Durango one year only , Just to say they did it.?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I think it would be cool to see a factory supercharged version of the 3.6 utilizing the Hellcat architecture. The platform is already in the ECM and cannot be used cause the aftermarket stuff is missing the electrical bypass and some sensors. Supercharged 3.6L would definitely give the bronco turbo a run for its money. If they wanted to get really sophisticated throw in the Sahara transfer case with part-time AWD and Eaton Helical LSD with front locker. Make the 2 inch lift and 35s a package, like Bigfoot or something, Yeti!
According to multiple sources/articles, the Pentastar engine was actually designed for supercharger and turbo applications.

Xtream1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch edition Granite Crystal Metallic
According to multiple sources/articles, the Pentastar engine was actually designed for supercharger and turbo applications.

Unfortunately they installed cast parts in it that need to be changed before it'll be boost compatible.

Personally I would love to have a set of twins under the Rubi hood ! maybe a bigger gas tank also...doh

Sponsored

EagleGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep LJ
One of the reasons I bought a gladiator was because I wanted a mid sized jeep truck without the typical tool mentality of the fly by hemi trucks. I guess I'll have to trade this thing in sooner than I thought. Hmm maybe I should flip it now with all the mods I got done with it.
And loose all the money you've put into it?

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
One way or another, I will have a Hemi in a Gladiator, its just a matter of time. There are companies that can mate a 5.7L Hemi to my 6 spd. Transmission.

That's going to be the deal breaker for me though... They would need to offer it in a manual transmission to sway me away from installing it myself in my JTR. I would be very suprised to see them offer a manual Hemi Jeep. It would probably me automatic only like most of their SRT builds.

Either way I'm waiting, because I promised my wife I wouldn't do the engine swap while we still have warranty. But my eyes are peeled for cheap, written off, low km parts trucks to nab a 5.7 from. And a company that will offer a swap kit to do it myself.

If they bring out a manual transmission SRT V8 Gladiator I'll order one faster than my wife could say divorce. I think trading in or selling my jeep privately would be cheaper than building my own into a Hemi Jeep. Plus then its a special edition, warranty, and probably better engineered. Depends what they add to the package!

I'm really excited to see what they bring to the table, and hope its not 80 to 100k USD Raptor price territory. Price point may lead me to a DIY answer, being a mechanic by trade I have that luxury.

I truly love my Jeep, I really do. But when I drive my other 400whp hoon machine E39 M5, I get hooked back into wanting and needing that kinda power and V8 sound. Its addictive. And when fully loaded up and/or towing, my Jeep really struggles especially with the mountain grades I drive daily.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
The Pentastar engine may have been designed for boost, but I doubt the configuration that's in my JT was designed for boost. A Pentastar designed for boost would no doubt have lower static compression, forged pistons, larger ring gaps and different cam profiles. The cam profile is no big deal. The current cams are simply less than optimal for boost. The compression, pistons and ring gaps are a big deal.

Turbos and superchargers create more compression and put a lot more stress and heat on pistons. Therfore, forged pistons are necessary to handle that stress and heat. Extra heat in the combustion chamber causes the rings to heat up and expand more. Without a larger ring gap, the rings can easily bind and that creates catastrophic conditions that cause an engine to fail.

I'm sure the manufacturers of supercharger kits designed for the Pentastar consider these factors, but no doubt, they're still less than optimal. Likely, that's why we hear of boosted Pentastars self-destructing.

As for the Hemi, I think there is zero chance Jeep will offer a swap kit/swap service for Pentastar-equipped Jeeps. Custom shops offer Hemi swaps because, currently, there's no other way to get a Hemi in a Jeep. So, someone who REALLY wants a Hemi Jeep is willing to pay the huge price necessary for the labor and hardware. I get that.

But if I can buy a Hemi Jeep off the dealer lot, there's no incentive for me to pay all that money to do a swap. It's literally cheaper to sell or trade my Pentastar Jeep and buy a new Jeep. And that's exactly what Jeep wants me to do. Jeep's primary objective is to sell new Jeeps. They also support accessories because it promotes the brand and makes a little money on the side. But they don't really care about used Jeeps. Thus, there is no reason to design and engineer a factory-supported Hemi swap kit/service. And there's no way they could make such a swap cheaper than buying a new, Hemi Jeep. An assembly line will always be way cheaper than custom, hand-built labor.

That's my take, anyway.

Last edited:

Ark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle :)
I see the JL test mule grille slots seem to be the same size. I highly doubt they will they will do this but here's to hoping a Hemi option will up the towing capacity by 1,000lbs or 2,000lbs....

I've read that cooling is the main towing concern but I'm sure weight and the soft suspension is a close following limitation

Sponsored

No IFS

First Name
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Banned
I see the JL test mule grille slots seem to be the same size. I highly doubt they will they will do this but here's to hoping a Hemi option will up the towing capacity by 1,000lbs or 2,000lbs....

I've read that cooling is the main towing concern but I'm sure weight and the soft suspension is a close following limitation
Do you think maybe functional hood scoops / venting would help cool things down like on muscle cars ?

Ark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bicycle :)
Do you think maybe functional hood scoops / venting would help cool things down like on muscle cars ?
That's a good point! I don't think that scoop will help the radiator get more airflow but perhaps it would alleviate other heat issues

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If that's all that was needed, Jeep would have added it for the diesel equipped trucks to increase towing capacity. The front end has to be closed to control the air flow through the grille and around the engine. Due to the shape and size of the front end, the cooling capacity is limited.

No IFS

First Name
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Banned
I guess we can only wait and see what Jeep has to say when the time comes regarding towing numbers.