Sponsored

Protecting Your Rear - Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
One of my biggest concerns with wheeling the Gladiator has been the departure angle.

My Mojave came with a plastic rear bumper and no protection for the ends/sides of the bed. One of my first mods was to swap on a Rubicon take off and I felt like that was some relatively cheap insurance when dropping off the ledges in Moab.

Second thing I did was purchase the Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab. This thing is nicely made (in the USA) and I finally got a chance to put it to the test this last weekend on Hell's Revenge. Not a difficult trail by any means, but it presented lots of chances to drag my rear end.

I got a tiny bit of abrasion on one of the Rubicon skids and dragged the hitch mount skid all over creation. No body damage or sheet metal havoc. Success!

If you aren't ready to throw on some big tires or a lift to fix the departure angle, I highly recommend the hitch skid. And the Rubi bumpers can be found pretty easily and for decent prices if you shop around.

c093ebd9-2e3e-4f76-903d-8bf08d244746-jpeg.jpg

e6b41daf-4bb6-48a9-a10c-33146c7441bd-jpeg.jpg

96a449f2-9e98-4d9b-9402-ef6fbfbe9193-jpeg.jpg

b2b3eea8-ef7b-4d73-b9e2-fa7cb12b181c-jpeg.jpg

d64d1811-4945-4e45-967a-b5329aaa9e55-jpeg.jpg
Sponsored

NACLS6

First Name
Rome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Infiniti G37S 400+HP (For Sale), 14 Subaru Impreza
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Looks nice and beefy. I think even if you have the steel bumper, the hitch is still exposed and a good hit could carry some damage to the hitch I assume.

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Looks nice and beefy. I think even if you have the steel bumper, the hitch is still exposed and a good hit could carry some damage to the hitch I assume.
The bumper would have taken a beating for sure. Even though the steel bumper is stronger than the plastic, it wouldn't take much to mangle it. I didn't want to tear up the bumper, or the hitch so this work perfect. It gives a strong sacrificial surface to grind on. I hate to lose the inch or so of clearance, but its going to drag anyway so it might as well drag on this skid.

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
So no contact issue with the spare tire itself ?

Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
That's sweet! My shackle hitch might end up in the recovery kit instead

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
So no contact issue with the spare tire itself ?
I did not hit the tire. Most of the ledges and drops were pretty flat, so no big jagged rocks to poke up. I was pretty careful to watch for that. I am sure you COULD catch something on the spare, but it would be pretty hard as the skid hangs down about an inch or two lower and is further back.

pluikens

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
Very interested. I might need to go this route vs a hitch mount shackle. Did you order straight from warfab or through a reseller?

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Very interested. I might need to go this route vs a hitch mount shackle. Did you order straight from warfab or through a reseller?
I got it direct from Warfab. It came quicker than I expected. From their Instagram I know they are rather busy and it may take a week or three. I believe mine came in about a week. Good folks.

Sponsored

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I find these things to be a waste of money... But if I was going to get one that WarFab one would be the one since it does double duty..

From experience I scrape the bed corners a hell of a lot more then my hitch. Thats what led to the demise of my original plastic bumper.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I got this one from Go Rhino after seeing this thread. It's was like $125 on Quadratec but I found one for like $40 on Amazon so it was a no-brainer

Only problem was I had to chamfer out the holes just a tad to fit my hitch pin through. I'll post a pic of it on the truck when it's light outside

thumbnail__1_.png

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
I got this one from Go Rhino after seeing this thread. It's was like $125 on Quadratec but I found one for like $40 on Amazon so it was a no-brainer

Only problem was I had to chamfer out the holes just a tad to fit my hitch pin through. I'll post a pic of it on the truck when it's light outside

Jeep Gladiator Protecting Your Rear -  Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab thumbnail__1_
Is it just a step or does it have a skid plate for under the hitch?
Sponsored