Protecting Your Rear - Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Is it just a step or does it have a skid plate for under the hitch?
It has a skid plate under the hitch as well. It just doesn't tuck as well as the one in the OP.
Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Here's what it looks like on the truck

Jeep Gladiator Protecting Your Rear -  Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab IMG_4077.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Protecting Your Rear -  Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab IMG_4078.JPG

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I looked at that Go Rhino one briefly, thanks for the pics. I wish it covered the chain loops like the others do. They tend to get beat up.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
One of my biggest concerns with wheeling the Gladiator has been the departure angle.

Jeep Gladiator Protecting Your Rear -  Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab IMG_4078.JPG
I like it. Wish it was tucked up a little tighter to the hitch. Would like to have that extra 1/2 inch.

Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I find these things to be a waste of money... But if I was going to get one that WarFab one would be the one since it does double duty..

From experience I scrape the bed corners a hell of a lot more then my hitch. Thats what led to the demise of my original plastic bumper.
I have the warfab one, and glad I did. In theory you don't *need* it-- the hitch won't break. But it will look beat to S and ugly. I smashed the warfab one all over the rocks on my past trip. I like having a step where the hitch is, and the skid is taking the hits instead as intended.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I have the warfab one, and glad I did. In theory you don't *need* it-- the hitch won't break. But it will look beat to S and ugly. I smashed the warfab one all over the rocks on my past trip. I like having a step where the hitch is, and the skid is taking the hits instead as intended.
My hitch drags less then my rockers or the bed side protection out in the rocks. With all of them if it gets uglier then I am ok with then a quick bit of black spray paint will be applied.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Do you loose much in the way of departure angle? With all of them it looks like the bottom plate. Is about an inch lower than the hitch.
and what about the leading edge looks like a mud scoop. Any issues there?

Sponsored

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
One of my biggest concerns with wheeling the Gladiator has been the departure angle.

My Mojave came with a plastic rear bumper and no protection for the ends/sides of the bed. One of my first mods was to swap on a Rubicon take off and I felt like that was some relatively cheap insurance when dropping off the ledges in Moab.

Second thing I did was purchase the Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab. This thing is nicely made (in the USA) and I finally got a chance to put it to the test this last weekend on Hell's Revenge. Not a difficult trail by any means, but it presented lots of chances to drag my rear end.

I got a tiny bit of abrasion on one of the Rubicon skids and dragged the hitch mount skid all over creation. No body damage or sheet metal havoc. Success!

If you aren't ready to throw on some big tires or a lift to fix the departure angle, I highly recommend the hitch skid. And the Rubi bumpers can be found pretty easily and for decent prices if you shop around.

Jeep Gladiator Protecting Your Rear -  Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab A54225A1-5F4A-435F-AFA8-DE5FF4ABB9A2

Jeep Gladiator Protecting Your Rear -  Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab A54225A1-5F4A-435F-AFA8-DE5FF4ABB9A2

How did you paint/finish the skid? Per the website it comes naked. Thx

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Personally I used Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating, I use that for everything. It's not quite the same matte/shinyness as powdercoating, but I use it for all my trail scratches on my rails and bumpers. I love the stuff. You can see on my right tow hook where it's slightly shiny, that's a spray I did on some rust.

Jeep Gladiator Protecting Your Rear -  Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab 0601211833_HDR

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
How did you paint/finish the skid? Per the website it comes naked. Thx
It actually came with some kind of ecote. So I have not painted it. But its starting to get pretty beat up so I am going to pull it off, rough it up with some sand paper and hit it with some cheapo paint or bed coating as above.

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
I just saw on their website they use a Steel-it product that looks really good!

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7

My Mojave came with a plastic rear bumper and no protection for the ends/sides of the bed. One of my first mods was to swap on a Rubicon take off and I felt like that was some relatively cheap insurance when dropping off the ledges in Moab.

Second thing I did was purchase the Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab. This thing is nicely made (in the USA) and I finally got a chance to put it to the test this last weekend on Hell's Revenge. Not a difficult trail by any means, but it presented lots of chances to drag my rear end.

I got a tiny bit of abrasion on one of the Rubicon skids and dragged the hitch mount skid all over creation. No body damage or sheet metal havoc. Success!

If you aren't ready to throw on some big tires or a lift to fix the departure angle, I highly recommend the hitch skid. And the Rubi bumpers can be found pretty easily and for decent prices if you shop around.

Jeep Gladiator Protecting Your Rear -  Sheridan hitch mounted skid from Warfab 0601211833_HDR

I like it . How much overall length does it add to the vehicle?, IOW does it protrude beyond any other existing point? Also is the loop on the top designed for a shackle? Is it rated as a tow or winching point?
Sponsored