Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
You need to be sure the 'antenna' are enabled. That's what scans for the FOB being close by.
Enabling APx sends the message to the rest of the system to scan for keyfobs in range and monitor handle sensors.
If you don't set those to "smart switch" it won't look for a fob and monitor the handles.
So if you can't change those they won't look for a fob being out there and pay attention to the handle sensor.

I believe the choices are - Smart Switch, Simple Switch, CAN, Not Present........
None of that is needed with the Tazer.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
None of that is needed with the Tazer.
So you are saying with a tazer you don't need to make any changes other than say there's passive entry?
And if you remove the tazer, you lose passive entry, correct? You'd have to if you didn't make changes in the BCM because you are saying the tazer does all of that while installed.

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
So you are saying with a tazer you don't need to make any changes other than say there's passive entry?
And if you remove the tazer, you lose passive entry, correct? You'd have to if you didn't make changes in the BCM because you are saying the tazer does all of that while installed.
Correct, a single setting within the Tazer menus makes the necessary changes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, a single setting within the Tazer menus makes the necessary changes.
He's programmed it for simplicity. There's only 1 way I figured it could work - choose proximity/passive entry exists and it goes in and sets the APx accordingly.
I am thinking if you went in and looked with jscan or AlfaOBD (just looking so no need to bypass for changes) you'd see those already changed.
If that's the case, removing tazer they would still work.
He's done an "if then" sort of thing. If you set that to present you have to have those changed - it's taken care of.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
He's programmed it for simplicity. There's only 1 way I figured it could work - choose proximity/passive entry exists and it goes in and sets the APx accordingly.
I am thinking if you went in and looked with jscan or AlfaOBD (just looking so no need to bypass for changes) you'd see those already changed.
If that's the case, removing tazer they would still work.
He's done an "if then" sort of thing. If you set that to present you have to have those changed - it's taken care of.
Correct. Tazer is just a menu item to turn option X or Y on/off.

Sponsored

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, got that part. They made it a menu option which changes the other settings when you choose it. That's fine............ It's good for those who can't handle specific settings and software. It's good for simplicity.

I personally prefer the software settings, seeing things happen, full control over every detail, that's all.

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, got that part. They made it a menu option which changes the other settings when you choose it. That's fine............ It's good for those who can't handle specific settings and software. It's good for simplicity.

I personally prefer the software settings, seeing things happen, full control over every detail, that's all.
The above info was not aimed at you I just posted the link to help those that are not aware of what the Tazer Mini can do ! I was in this boat 5 weeks ago and have learned a lot about it and purchased one and has saved me some bucks by unlocking the multi switch / passive entry with out having the dealer do it at a cost of $60~$100 each. And for me it does not matter if these two items do not show up under my vin. # .. I know its there..

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The above info was not aimed at you I just posted the link to help those that are not aware of what the Tazer Mini can do ! I was in this boat 5 weeks ago and have learned a lot about it and purchased one and has saved me some bucks by unlocking the multi switch / passive entry with out having the dealer do it at a cost of $60~$100 each. And for me it does not matter if these two items do not show up under my vin. # .. I know its there..
My bad, good point. I guess since there was so much back and forth I didn't differentiate.

I wanted it on record as like my insurance agent keeps saying "we go by what's in your VIN in case of accident". I can provide a list and prices and such - but it's one less thing to argue about this way. My agent though is really good and the adjusters I've dealt with were top people so I'm not too concerned.

Since you have the tazer, if they DO flash your truck according to your VIN for some future service, it won't be hard at all to go back in and tell it you have it again.

Some day I may go there but for the couple of things I'd use it for, I can't justify 300 bucks. I'd likely only want the ability to lock the brakes and set the idle up when winching, maybe 1 or 2 other things I'm living ok without. I'd rather put that money in a steel bumper for the rear. Maybe I should look for a good used tazer LOL

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I should look for a good used tazer LOL
Well that would still cost you something not sure how much because you would have to have a new activation fee if moving it to a different vehicle that it was not originally "Married" to !

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well that would still cost you something not sure how much because you would have to have a new activation fee if moving it to a different vehicle that it was not originally "Married" to !
Yeah, Z Automotive protects these things so they can't be shared. I've seen fees talked about from $50 to upward of $100 so likely zero savings at all to buy used in the end.

Dafryinpan

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2022 Jeep Sahara 4xe, 2007
Wow ordered my wiring and handle kit yesterday and they are being shipped today ! Question I have a Tazer and activated the passive entry and I can see it on my U-connect screen now but I never found where AP1 & AP2 show up......
Where did you order from?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Dafryinpan

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2022 Jeep Sahara 4xe, 2007
OK sweet and it came that fast? I was seeing 45 days everywhere.

I have a question for the community, as i am just getting started on this journey. Actually two questions.

Would it be normal to have only pin 16 and not 15? I just want to make sure I am looking at it right. It's a 2021 Gladiator Sport.

And my second question is. I just bought a Sahara 4xe, that has 3 handles for proximity. I really only need 2. Would I be able to remove the passenger handle and hanress and put it on my Gladiator?

Thanks again. Really excited about this.
Sponsored