Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

Fishee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys NACHO
Just to verify and some notes.

So I went to check if my 2021 Willy’s has the wiring. To open the plastic cover you pull straight back towards the seat. It has 2 clips. I pushed the red tab up towards the roof to unlock, pushed the tab under the white lever towards the wall the connector is sticker to, then flipped the white lever from the down position to the up position. That lever actually pushes and pulls the plug.

I first looked at the plug stuck to the door (that was wrong… the door harness has no pins because it has no keyless entry installed… duh. So after my brain figured that out…

stuck my camera under the connector stuck to the body of the body wall. (In the dark and cold) finally got a shot of the plug wires and pins.

I believe I see a green wire with a yellow tracer and another wire which I’m guessing has the white tracer.

I believe I see that I have the 2 pins (15 and 16) marked with red in the connector picture.

I then cranked my head around to look inside and under the dash. I think I see where you would plug in a Tazer mini. I can get my hand in there but I think I will order the extension cords to make plugging things back in for the dealer easier. (I have small Asian hands and even then it looks pretty tight… and my middle finger knuckles get stuck closed sometimes…trigger finger?)

Thanks for this helpful thread. Does this sound/look right?

4D07E164-4EC3-4B79-8B12-E5C6CE581C6E.jpeg

3CECB097-D2FF-47EE-A458-7AECB153C92A.jpeg
My 21 Willys had the pins and I got my handles installed and they work great
Sponsored

JT-Mojave

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
R&D
So regardless of trim and other options, you always need the wiring harness when doing this retrofit correct?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So regardless of trim and other options, you always need the wiring harness when doing this retrofit correct?
You always need the door wiring harness.
Correct.
You need handle, button, door wiring harness;
if you do both doors, you need the left and the right door harnesses, if you do only left, you only need the left door harness.

JT-Mojave

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
R&D
You always need the door wiring harness.
Correct.
You need handle, button, door wiring harness;
if you do both doors, you need the left and the right door harnesses, if you do only left, you only need the left door harness.
Thank you sir. I was searching (outside of the forum) and I thought that I had read that some models have the proxy harness present even without the handles. After reading through this thread it clarifies it and rocks that All Mopar has the kit already to go. 👍

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you sir. I was searching (outside of the forum) and I thought that I had read that some models have the proxy harness present even without the handles. After reading through this thread it clarifies it and rocks that All Mopar has the kit already to go. 👍
Benny at AllMopar is a good guy, great to work with. I bought my stuff from him early on - before he actually had a kit to make it simple to order.

Sponsored

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well I just finished reading this whole thread and bit the bullet and ordered the parts from Benny... Man this thing is a MOD money pit !! LOL

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well I just finished reading this whole thread and bit the bullet and ordered the parts from Benny... Man this thing is a MOD money pit !! LOL
Don'tchaknowit!

And I'm looking at MORE -steel rear bumper might be next. My wife seems to be ok with it if I spread things out and keep each item under a certain price point. So far, so good............. bumper may take some talking, though.

The passive entry is what we told the sales guy we wanted when we ordered the truck. My wife has had that on her Jeep Grand Cherokees for years and she loves it. But the guy didn't get that box checked or something and it came without it. So when I told her I could add it - she was good with doing it.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
This was probably the most useful mod I’ve done. My last car had passive entry, and I really missed it on the Jeep.

Kevin

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Don'tchaknowit!

And I'm looking at MORE -steel rear bumper might be next. My wife seems to be ok with it if I spread things out and keep each item under a certain price point. So far, so good............. bumper may take some talking, though.

The passive entry is what we told the sales guy we wanted when we ordered the truck. My wife has had that on her Jeep Grand Cherokees for years and she loves it. But the guy didn't get that box checked or something and it came without it. So when I told her I could add it - she was good with doing it.
Well I have already did the new steel front bumper with winch plate and installed a X-Bull winch and got that all wired up and connected to the Aux. switch and is working and might add she purrs like a kitten . Installed the Mopar Aux. switch .Changed out to a steel rear bumper , 15"rubber antenna , wired up the rear bumper lights that came with the new bumper to the Aux. switch... Waiting on delivery on the back ordered Mopar trailer brake controller and have a Tazer installed ! And now this !! Whats Next ??

JT-Mojave

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
R&D
Benny at AllMopar is a good guy, great to work with. I bought my stuff from him early on - before he actually had a kit to make it simple to order.

Oh I’ve gone back plenty of pages to read your remarks. Good to have a vendor supporting us so when I order they’ll be getting my business for sure.

Sponsored

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wow ordered my wiring and handle kit yesterday and they are being shipped today ! Question I have a Tazer and activated the passive entry and I can see it on my U-connect screen now but I never found where AP1 & AP2 show up......

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow ordered my wiring and handle kit yesterday and they are being shipped today ! Question I have a Tazer and activated the passive entry and I can see it on my U-connect screen now but I never found where AP1 & AP2 show up......
I can't tell you how to get to those settings or check boxes using tazer, I've only done it via software.
I can believe that since tazer has access to so many other settings that it's probably in there, just can't say where.
It's going to be body control module - can tazer access things based on the modules, that sort of thing?

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
I can't tell you how to get to those settings or check boxes using tazer, I've only done it via software.
I can believe that since tazer has access to so many other settings that it's probably in there, just can't say where.
It's going to be body control module - can tazer access things based on the modules, that sort of thing?
I do not think it goes that far into the system at least you can't see it.. going to try it with the way I have it set and see when the parts come in if it works . maybe with the Tazer once the input is done it activates AP1 & 2 in the background ?

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
I do not think it goes that far into the system at least you can't see it.. going to try it with the way I have it set and see when the parts come in if it works . maybe with the Tazer once the input is done it activates AP1 & 2 in the background ?
I don't recall needing to do anything beyond that single enable setting, which it sounds like you've already done. I'm not sure what AP1 and AP2 would be in reference to?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't recall needing to do anything beyond that single enable setting, which it sounds like you've already done. I'm not sure what AP1 and AP2 would be in reference to?
You need to be sure the 'antenna' are enabled. That's what scans for the FOB being close by.
Enabling APx sends the message to the rest of the system to scan for keyfobs in range and monitor handle sensors.
If you don't set those to "smart switch" it won't look for a fob and monitor the handles.
So if you can't change those they won't look for a fob being out there and pay attention to the handle sensor.

I believe the choices are - Smart Switch, Simple Switch, CAN, Not Present........
Sponsored