Proximity Entry should be added to IPhone

chsapeak

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Diesel Rubicon Stingray
It sure would be nice if this feature could be added onto my phone. Kinda like disable the fob and enable the phone to take its place. I hate having to carry that dumb fob everywhere I go when I exit my truck.
Sponsored

lobelsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Gator

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It sure would be nice if this feature could be added onto my phone. Kinda like disable the fob and enable the phone to take its place. I hate having to carry that dumb fob everywhere I go when I exit my truck.
The FOB transmitter is in a frequency range that the mobile phone likely does not support. Each FOB has a specific electronic key sequence and has to be paired to the vehicle to be used. Providing a way to transfer the FOB functionality to a phone would likely make the truck much easier to steal.

You could keep the FOB in a metal box in the vehicle, and use the phone app to unlock the truck (if it's capable).

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I just want a fob that will replace my phone, it's already just about big enough..

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
The FOB transmitter is in a frequency range that the mobile phone likely does not support. Each FOB has a specific electronic key sequence and has to be paired to the vehicle to be used. Providing a way to transfer the FOB functionality to a phone would likely make the truck much easier to steal.

You could keep the FOB in a metal box in the vehicle, and use the phone app to unlock the truck (if it's capable).
Not sure about the JT, but I know my wife’s Journey won’t allow you to lock the doors with the FOB inside the vehicle.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about the JT, but I know my wife’s Journey won’t allow you to lock the doors with the FOB inside the vehicle.
A metal box (lead is probably best) is needed to contain the RF signal from the FOB so the computer doesn't see that it is inside the truck. Just be sure to have another method to open the truck (like phone app, or key).

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
A metal box (lead is probably best) is needed to contain the RF signal from the FOB so the computer doesn't see that it is inside the truck. Just be sure to have another method to open the truck (like phone app, or key).
I use a Faraday bag like this to hide an extra key fob inside my JT, have an extra key to unlock the door hidden outside of the interior.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1C21O2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found out later, A LOT less expensive method is to wrap the fob in aluminum foil to contain the RF signal.

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I use a Faraday bag like this to hide an extra key fob inside my JT, have an extra key to unlock the door hidden outside of the interior.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1C21O2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found out later, A LOT less expensive method is to wrap the fob in aluminum foil to contain the RF signal.
LOL I did the same thing. I keep the extra fob in my glove compartment for emergencies. Doors locked with the main fob no problem, but then I realized three months in that anyone could come in and start the car if my doors were left unlocked or if they simply broke a window.

Wrapped the fob in foil and problem solved. At least until they go and check the glove compartment...
Sponsored