Sponsored

Pulling a Camper

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
So what you are saying is: The trailer/tow package does not come with a brake adjuster package to activate the electric brakes on your trailer???

IF that is the case [and I assume it is by your and other statements] then someone at Jeep needs to lose their job. To say that I am disappointed would the understatement of the year...This is a 2020 model for the year 2020! This also tells me that most likely it does not have a 7 pin connector.

"7650 lb towing capacity"

I can see a class action lawsuit in the making for this one debacle.

Jeep beating the band and touting their tow/haul and no braking system...I gotta ask does the radio come with SPEAKERS???
It does come with a 7 pin connector, a 7 pin connector isn't just used for electric brakes it's also used for trailers that have hydraulic brakes.

The user manual also states that if you are towing a trailer with electric brakes you will need a brake controller.
Sponsored

Cobraowner

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I pulled a 24ft Yamaha Jet boat w/ my JT Rubicon. I definitely knew that boat was behind me compared to my 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew. Boat is 3800lbs dry + fuel + personal items + trailer. So probably around 5000lbs-6000lbs.

The boat would start swaying in the mid 70s with wind and pulled the JT around. Plus you could feel it bouncing the rear end a bit on pavement seams. The swaying could be weight/balance on the boat trailer as well. This was a customers boat so not one that I knew exactly what was in it.

However, I have since found that my tire pressure was too high. I was having issues with wandering/loose steering and just lowered my tire pressure to rated 37psi which has initially seemed to make a night/day difference.

Hopefully the next experience towing another boat will be a bit better w/ the tire pressure corrected.

Cjsmith

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
The real world towing is coming in with poor results. TFL has done some thorough towing testing. It will be a real chore to tow 5k at highway speeds and safely. Disappointing.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The real world towing is coming in with poor results. TFL has done some thorough towing testing. It will be a real chore to tow 5k at highway speeds and safely. Disappointing.
I just watched the TFL 'tow-mileage' video and came to a different conclusion. Seemed to tow the trailer they had on flat ground just fine @ 70mph, yes it does need a brake controller but that is doable as discussed in several threads already. They even confirmed that the nice oem controller will be coming soon also. They said mileage was comparable w/ Colorado & Tacoma also.
But can a JT pull 7K# cruising 'The Ike' at 70 mph? Not likely.
Will be interesting to see how the diesel performs also - the TFL guys even commented on this more than once.

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
So what you are saying is: The trailer/tow package does not come with a brake adjuster package to activate the electric brakes on your trailer???

IF that is the case [and I assume it is by your and other statements] then someone at Jeep needs to lose their job. To say that I am disappointed would the understatement of the year...This is a 2020 model for the year 2020! This also tells me that most likely it does not have a 7 pin connector.

"7650 lb towing capacity"

I can see a class action lawsuit in the making for this one debacle.

Jeep beating the band and touting their tow/haul and no braking system...I gotta ask does the radio come with SPEAKERS???
Installing a brake controller is plug and play, there's a plug for it under the dash pre wired to the 7 pin plug. You can install it in 5 minutes and the jeep parts department should have it. I ordered the plug on amazon for $15 and installed a brake controller I already had. I don't see why this is remotely a big deal.

cajun charlie

First Name
Cajun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I pulled a 24ft Yamaha Jet boat w/ my JT Rubicon. I definitely knew that boat was behind me compared to my 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew. Boat is 3800lbs dry + fuel + personal items + trailer. So probably around 5000lbs-6000lbs.

The boat would start swaying in the mid 70s with wind and pulled the JT around. Plus you could feel it bouncing the rear end a bit on pavement seams. The swaying could be weight/balance on the boat trailer as well. This was a customers boat so not one that I knew exactly what was in it.

However, I have since found that my tire pressure was too high. I was having issues with wandering/loose steering and just lowered my tire pressure to rated 37psi which has initially seemed to make a night/day difference.

Hopefully the next experience towing another boat will be a bit better w/ the tire pressure corrected.
It's around 5000lbs, towing with a Rubicon (rated 7000lbs).
If you think about it, an evaluation truck's handling would be greatly appreciated. I too will be pulling a 4800 lb (empty) camper and would appreciate some insight. :)

TacoNoC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4Runner, 2009 Nissan Altima, 1993 Honda Prelude
If you think about it, an evaluation truck's handling would be greatly appreciated. I too will be pulling a 4800 lb (empty) camper and would appreciate some insight. :)
We just bought a 4800 lb camper, and was really hoping to pull it with the JT...but im not so sure anymore...Most of our towing is flat or in the mountains of NC.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
We just bought a 4800 lb camper, and was really hoping to pull it with the JT...but im not so sure anymore...Most of our towing is flat or in the mountains of NC.
Why are you concerned? Because it slowed to 42 mph at 12,000 feet with a 7k lbs trailer on a 6-7% incline? I can tell you most 4 cylinder cars slow down to that speed on that section of road without a trailer and only one other skier with them. In fact to be honest it is very rare to see the general speed of traffic much about 45-50 mph in that section.

cajun charlie

First Name
Cajun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Why are you concerned? Because it slowed to 42 mph at 12,000 feet with a 7k lbs trailer on a 6-7% incline? I can tell you most 4 cylinder cars slow down to that speed on that section of road without a trailer and only one other skier with them. In fact to be honest it is very rare to see the general speed of traffic much about 45-50 mph in that section.
Honestly I feel pretty confidant towing thru the flatlands of Texas and Louisiana, which is where we will be doing most of our camping. GEAUX TIGERS

Sponsored

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
It would be interesting to run the Ike with an unladen Gladiator just to see the impact of towing on its performance. It would be interesting to see that comparison for all of the vehicles they test, but clearly the time demands for that would be too high.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I like your reasoning. I have been through that tunnel a few times and I can say as a boy from Tennessee it is hard for me to breathe up there so the Jeep is going to labor a little bit too. Why do people expect that a Jeep loaded to it's maximum GCVWR should not break a sweat on a long steep climb. I can tell you with 100% honesty that tractor trailers, which are made to tow heavy loads struggle on that hill. When you pass a truck with his flashers on and running 35 mph you will hear that he also has his fan running at full velocity. The 3.6 makes it's power up high in the rpm range. Once you get used to hearing it scream a little you'll most likely be happy with Gladiators performance.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Installing a brake controller is plug and play, there's a plug for it under the dash pre wired to the 7 pin plug. You can install it in 5 minutes and the jeep parts department should have it. I ordered the plug on amazon for $15 and installed a brake controller I already had. I don't see why this is remotely a big deal.
Bob, think you are missing the point. I just ordered a $60,825 +TT&L JT that Jeep has been splashing its tow/haul capabilities all over the Internet for months and it does not come with a built-in brake controller...GIVE ME A *&%ING BREAK! Someone in Jeep needs to find a new line of employment.

Jeep has jumped into the Truck business with Ford, Ram, Chevy, and GMC, they better show up like they came to race and have their big boy pants on.

Jeep.com:

"Class IV Receiver Hitch
A frame-mounted Class IV hitch lets you connect a trailer for serious towing."

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Bob, think you are missing the point. I just ordered a $60,825 +TT&L JT that Jeep has been splashing its tow/haul capabilities all over the Internet for months and it does not come with a built-in brake controller...GIVE ME A *&%ING BREAK! Someone in Jeep needs to find a new line of employment.

Jeep has jumped into the Truck business with Ford, Ram, Chevy, and GMC, they better show up like they came to race and have their big boy pants on.

Jeep.com:

"Class IV Receiver Hitch
A frame-mounted Class IV hitch lets you connect a trailer for serious towing."
So what's an extra $200 to have them throw a brake controller on it? Most boats have surge brakes and don't need a controller, that's why they're optional even on full sized half ton trucks. My chevy Silverado with tow package wasn't available with one either, but came with the pig tail to plug one in. Integrated brake controllers usually aren't a thing until you hit 3/4 to one ton trucks. This isn't remotely a big deal, it plugs in under the dash, there's no wiring or anything.

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know if Jeep will be releasing tow mirrors?
Sponsored