Sponsored

Pulling a Camper

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
You all act like this thing is a 1 ton ready to pull down the gates of hell...its a midsize truck that you can hook a trailer too. Want to tow with comfort buy a full size truck.
Agreed. Midsize trucks are for pulling UTVs, Snowmobiles, Dirt Bikes, and small light campers that you'll set up for base camp to go explore from and maybe a Bass boat or Jet Skis. Its not for heavy duty towing. If you have a yacht to pull or a horse trailer or anything of that sort you need to buy a full size. As a mid-size is the wrong tool for the job.

With all this bitching about towing I can't wait to see everyone reactions on the handling (of people that haven't owned a wrangler before)
Sponsored

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I’m sorry but I have a very different take:

I don’t expect it to pull like a one ton.

I don’t even expect it to pull like my Chevrolet Colorado. The numbers are obvious and I can read. However I live not to far from the Ike tunnel and most traffic keeps up just fine. Slowing below 50mph wide open is simple unsatisfactory.

My Colorado does just fine by the way pulling 4,600 pounds.

Also, comments about going to the Mopar parts counter “they should have it”....

Well, they don’t. I’m fine that the brake controller doesn’t come with the tow package but it was promised to be available as a dealer add on. It’s not.

This is what was promised:

upload_2019-5-24_22-14-31.jpeg

That promise was broken and, no, I’m not drilling holes in my new Gladiator because “it’s super easy”.

I’ll continue pulling with my little Colorado with almost 50% more power AND a BRAKE CONTROLLER! ( so glad I didn’t sell it) until Jeep makes this right.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Looks the controller is back on the Jeep.com homepage, at least the picture of it.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Yes. The picture is back again. I keep hoping this is a good sign.

I’ve asked several Mopar parts counters and one summed it up rather concisely after showing them this picture:

“ I need a part number. If it doesn’t have a part number, it doesn’t exist”.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I just contacted Jeep and they knew nothing about it. I gave them the link and they verified that the picture was there but confirmed that no trailer brake controller was available. (?!).

Too weird. By the way. The tube doors seem to have disappeared from the Mopar website as well. I would have liked those.

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Yes. The picture is back again. I keep hoping this is a good sign.

I’ve asked several Mopar parts counters and one summed it up rather concisely after showing them this picture:

“ I need a part number. If it doesn’t have a part number, it doesn’t exist”.
Buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRWR1YI

And this:
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90885-Prodigy-Electronic-Control/dp/B002YIACG8

Then reach up under your dash on the drivers side, plug it in and go. It's not rocket science. Hell, it's not even grade school math. If you can't handle that, you'll never be able to figure out taking the top and doors off.

I installed one in mine earlier this week, took me a whopping 5 minutes.

Or, if you HAVE to get it from Jeep, here's the part number:

82213173AB

This is the brake controller with pig tail that plugs in under the dash. They should also be able to install it for you. I think the above Tekonsha is better, though. Yeah, it's not the pretty one they were showing off, but it's not like you can't easily get a brake controller installed. Or you can sit around and wait for that nice one.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I have a Prodigy P2. Uh. Yeah. I can handle it. I could also whack my hood with a hammer. I simply find drilling holes in a brand new vehicle and suffering the associated (and deserved) hit in resale value to be unwise. Especially since Jeep continues to promise that it’s unnecessary.

Also, the real estate in Jeeps around my knees is adequate but not excessive. Jerry rigging an add-on box is so 90s. I’m just beyond that on a $60,000 vehicle.

It’s becoming a matter of principle.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I have a Prodigy P2. Uh. Yeah. I can handle it. I could also whack my hood with a hammer. I simply find drilling holes in a brand new vehicle and suffering the associated (and deserved) hit in resale value to be unwise. Especially since Jeep continues to promise that it’s unnecessary.

Also, the real estate in Jeeps around my knees is adequate but not excessive. Jerry rigging an add-on box is so 90s. I’m just beyond that on a $60,000 vehicle.

Yeah, you'll take zero hit on resale. And if you're so worried, you can buy a new kick panel. Or use 3m tape to fasten it.

Or you can be obstinate and not tow with your $60k vehicle while you wait for the pretty one. In the mean time, the rest of us will go ahead and use ours with a $150 investment in a good brake controller, 5 minutes of time and live with the horror of drilling holes that nobody will notice on a black kick panel (especially compared to the rock chips you'll get on your door hinges within a thousand miles).

You're picking a really odd place to take a principled stand, one that only hurts yourself, but have at it.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

This. ^^^

SCJ Zach

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU/2020 Gladiator Rubicon (on the train currently)
I love the complaints on towing.....I don't know single person that ever bought a Tacoma (GASP) as a tow rig. It is a jeep with upgraded towing capabilities, not a tow rig with a removable top. If you use it for what it was designed for, you'll be a happier person. Being a Jeep person, I am extremely satisfied with my Gladiator. I can haul a quad in the bed, pull a trailer with 2 quads or a SxS, or haul lumber/camping gear/mulch/whatever fit's your lifestyle. OIIIIIIIO

Sponsored

TommyTFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A smattering
It would be interesting to run the Ike with an unladen Gladiator just to see the impact of towing on its performance. It would be interesting to see that comparison for all of the vehicles they test, but clearly the time demands for that would be too high.
I can tell ya it would easily exceed the speed limit all the way up the like unladen

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
Wish I knew someone locally with a gladiator so I could tow the same trailer my 05 4.7l Club Cab 6 speed Dakota pulled so well. 6500lb and no complaints at all in that truck. I really miss it.

A 3.0l gladiator could do pretty similar, but there seems to be lots of reports of the tail wagging the dog with the gladiator.

Plus when I can buy a decked out power wagon for less the luster really dissapears. I just want a powerful midsize again I'd happily pay the gladiator price tag had it a hemi. Heck I'd toss in a few thousand if it had a hemi 6 speed manual and club cab.

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can tell ya it would easily exceed the speed limit all the way up the like unladen
Probably but I guarantee the engine will still be screaming to keep the speed limit. My jk 2 door has to be in 4th and sometimes 3rd to keep speed up the Ike unladen.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Wish I knew someone locally with a gladiator so I could tow the same trailer my 05 4.7l Club Cab 6 speed Dakota pulled so well. 6500lb and no complaints at all in that truck. I really miss it.

A 3.0l gladiator could do pretty similar, but there seems to be lots of reports of the tail wagging the dog with the gladiator.

Plus when I can buy a decked out power wagon for less the luster really dissapears. I just want a powerful midsize again I'd happily pay the gladiator price tag had it a hemi. Heck I'd toss in a few thousand if it had a hemi 6 speed manual and club cab.
Well, the 3.6L V6 has 50 more horsepower, and the Gladiator has a superior rear suspension design, and the Gladiator has two more transmission gears, as well as deeper axle gearing, so my guess is the Dakota wouldn't hold a candle to the Gladiator with a 6,500 lb. trailer.

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, the 3.6L V6 has 50 more horsepower, and the Gladiator has a superior rear suspension design, and the Gladiator has two more transmission gears, as well as deeper axle gearing, so my guess is the Dakota wouldn't hold a candle to the Gladiator with a 6,500 lb. trailer.
Interesting. The dakota made 35 more ft/lb of torque at ~800rpm lower than the 3.6. My dakota was also lighter than the gladiator by a couple hundred pounds and had 3.92 gears with shorter tires (29.5 vs 32.7) meaning my dakota actually had a lower final axle ratio on the ground than the gladiator. Based on the simple gearing charts @65mph the dakota 3.92 with 29" tires would spin a driveshaft at ~2900 rpm vs gladiator 4.10 with 33" tires at ~2700 But then again, I also wasn't towing through the mountains in high altitude. I'm sure the dakota would weeze at 6500k pounds going up the ike gauntlet too.

I'm not convinced on the differences in suspension making a huge difference. I have towed with old leaf springs and coil springs didn't really notice any difference towing with one versus the other. Maybe coils make a huge difference above 10k lb.

Dakota also had the old 9.25 axle which was for all the world darn close to a dana 60. just with c clips and slight taper on the axle shafts. Not that a heavier axle directly impacts real world towing performance.

Id like to see a dyno graph of both vehicles side by side to see how each vehicles power curves look per RPM.
Sponsored