Pulling a Camper

Rwpoling95

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Wrangler Unlimited 20 Gladiator LE
How long/wide is your trailer? How is the visibility on the mirrors?
It’s 23’ long and 8’ wide. Mirrors were not too bad because they are taller than many normal ones. I used add on mirrors w/ my Grand Cherokee, haven’t tried that w/ the Gladiator.
Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
18' Jayco slx 174 Baja. last weigh in was 4400lbs, JT towed just fine, even over the pass.
trailer crop.png

PropWash

First Name
Nickolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep JKU
Just installed my brake controller on the Gladiator, hooked up to my camper, and ran it down the road! Tracks nicely, brakes are working fine, nice low first gear to get things rolling! Highway speeds were good w/ this 5000# trailer hooked to it!

1CB3F5A3-F727-47AA-8324-84054489002B.jpeg

190FA1D0-B61D-4AAD-BA23-1B5CE1964ACA.jpeg
What kit did you use to hook up the controller? I just hooked up my Airstream using the same controller and the Tekonsha RAM adapter from Amazon and I'm getting full brakes when NOT activated and a Jeep systems error when I hit the manual override button. Working on troubleshooting now ;/

Rwpoling95

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Wrangler Unlimited 20 Gladiator LE
What kit did you use to hook up the controller? I just hooked up my Airstream using the same controller and the Tekonsha RAM adapter from Amazon and I'm getting full brakes when NOT activated and a Jeep systems error when I hit the manual override button. Working on troubleshooting now ;/
You may have the wrong wiring harness. The one pictured is the one I got for Jeep. I got one error initially when I hooked it up and used the manual brake function on brake controller. Trailer was not hooked up at that time, so I shut down the truck and restarted w no errors since then.

6B9D128F-DCA8-4F00-9E82-B39A38BB2A86.png

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Tell us about "the pass" please.

What pass? Elevation, grade?
Hwy 55, Maximum Elevation 4258 feet. Maximum Grade 7.0% ...
Hwy 21, Maximum Elevation 7037 feet Maximum Grade 5.0%
Headed to Yellowstone this weekend. Went on some ATV trails to Seafoam Lakes if you want to Google earth them (no trailer tho)
Installed a new bumper drain hole too.

IMG_2799.jpg

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Hwy 55, Maximum Elevation 4258 feet. Maximum Grade 7.0% ...
Hwy 21, Maximum Elevation 7037 feet Maximum Grade 5.0%
Headed to Yellowstone this weekend. Went on some ATV trails to Seafoam Lakes if you want to Google earth them (no trailer tho)
Installed a new bumper drain hole too.

IMG_2799.jpg
Thanks very much, I'm not being nosey or demanding (despite outward appearances), I have a very real and specific purpose for asking. You are validating my predisposition to de-rate towing capacity by 40%, thanks for that.

Now tell us more about the sweet "primitive bumper mounted trail obstruction detecting device". In the hood those are called curb feelers.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks very much, I'm not being nosey or demanding (despite outward appearances), I have a very real and specific purpose for asking. You are validating my predisposition to de-rate towing capacity by 40%, thanks for that.

Now tell us more about the sweet "primitive bumper mounted trail obstruction detecting device". In the hood those are called curb feelers.
There were longer and steeper grades on the hwy we took, Like I said trailer was 4400lbs (probably 4200 on the way back) Coolant reached 232 degrees, and I would say this weight was probably as high as I would recommend for rocky mountain towing. Concerning highway speeds, I think I was up to 80 once, 65-70 is comfortable, and it gets a little dicey above that. I'm running 500lbs tongue weight and a Blue ox anti sway/stabilizer. Engine ran cool the whole time. I would say above 5000 pounds in the Rockies would be torture, in my opinion. I'll update after Yellowstone, and it doesn't bother me if you need specifics. Feel free to PVT MSG if you like. Tell me what you are looking for before I leave so I can take notes for ya, and the site.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Pulled my Jayco this week. It's a 29 footer and weighs in at just over 7,000 pounds from the factory. Pulled it from my house about 40 miles over very windy up and down roads in southern Ohio. I was actually really impressed how it handled it. I was pulling it before with my 3/4 ton Silverado that I traded in on the Jeep.
20190720_091802.jpg

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Pulled my Jayco this week. It's a 29 footer and weighs in at just over 7,000 pounds from the factory. Pulled it from my house about 40 miles over very windy up and down roads in southern Ohio. I was actually really impressed how it handled it. I was pulling it before with my 3/4 ton Silverado that I traded in on the Jeep.
20190720_091802.jpg
is that with a manual or automatic?

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
20190720_091802.jpg
Fatty and Skinny went to bed, Fatty rolled over and Skinny was dead.

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
20190720_091802.jpg
Do you plan to tow this often?

Bullfrog

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Do you plan to tow this often?
No, we've been talking about downsizing to a smaller camper anyway since it's mostly just my wife and I anymore. Kids are growing up and less interested in camping with mom and dad. Even when I had my 3/4 ton we only camped 3 to 5 times a year.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
There were longer and steeper grades on the hwy we took, Like I said trailer was 4400lbs (probably 4200 on the way back) Coolant reached 232 degrees, and I would say this weight was probably as high as I would recommend for rocky mountain towing. Concerning highway speeds, I think I was up to 80 once, 65-70 is comfortable, and it gets a little dicey above that. I'm running 500lbs tongue weight and a Blue ox anti sway/stabilizer. Engine ran cool the whole time. I would say above 5000 pounds in the Rockies would be torture, in my opinion. I'll update after Yellowstone, and it doesn't bother me if you need specifics. Feel free to PVT MSG if you like. Tell me what you are looking for before I leave so I can take notes for ya, and the site.
Not sure how I missed this post, thanks for the additional information. I have my own proprietary and entirely unsupported by practical experience opinion of the maximum practical towing capacity, and every time someone posts information about towing it hells refine that opinion.

Thanks again for sharing
Sponsored