Put the diesel to work last weekend...

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I had the Max Tow for about a year and a half... and I finally got the Diesel a little over a month ago that I had ordered. Last weekend I wanted to see how it would tow... as I towed my previous boat with the Max Tow a few times... the 22 VLX Malibu is about 400 pounds heavier than the T22 Axis I had that I towed a few times with the Max Tow. No question I personally would take the diesel over the gas now. Wish I had done it sooner. I towed it back from Knoxville over 100 miles interstate, normal roads, up and down hills, etc. Never struggled at all, did really well down hill, had plenty of power given the set up. Hummed a little over 2k rpm most of the time... going up a hill would jump to around 3k... but really really impressed. All around an excellent experience considering the set up. The diesel is just awesome...

2B09AE51-5917-415B-8C73-0D2CDF7EF66E.jpeg
Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
know what the tow weight is?

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I had the Max Tow for about a year and a half... and I finally got the Diesel a little over a month ago that I had ordered. Last weekend I wanted to see how it would tow... as I towed my previous boat with the Max Tow a few times... the 22 VLX Malibu is about 400 pounds heavier than the T22 Axis I had that I towed a few times with the Max Tow. No question I personally would take the diesel over the gas now. Wish I had done it sooner. I towed it back from Knoxville over 100 miles interstate, normal roads, up and down hills, etc. Never struggled at all, did really well down hill, had plenty of power given the set up. Hummed a little over 2k rpm most of the time... going up a hill would jump to around 3k... but really really impressed. All around an excellent experience considering the set up. The diesel is just awesome...

2B09AE51-5917-415B-8C73-0D2CDF7EF66E.jpeg
What part of K-Town? I live west near Kingston. Fixin to order order one almost identical, Willys in Stingray. Are those 35" tires?

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
know what the tow weight is?
What part of K-Town? I live west near Kingston. Fixin to order order one almost identical, Willys in Stingray. Are those 35" tires?
37’s - we were over at Concord that day

send me a msg if you want - I can hook you up with a guy that will make you a deal on ordering new

Sponsored

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
These are the threads I was hoping not the read that make me want to trade in for a diesel.
Those wake boats are heavy so def 6000+ right? My brother is into that. Have fun!

OrangeTJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKUS, 05 Dodge 2500 CTD
That is an amazing looking rig and a beautiful boat! What are the specifics of your Gladiator in terms of trim level?

This is super useful information for me, as I'm going to be getting a Gladiator and debating with myself between gas and diesel. I will occasionally be towing our MB F22, which is likely very similar to your Malibu in terms of towing demands. Right around 6,000 - 6,200 on the trailer, depending on how much gas and other stuff is in the boat. I also have a Ram 2500 diesel I can tow with but for a variety of reasons I'd like to have the option to sometimes tow with the Gladiator as well. Maybe a few times a year. Lots of hills around here, too.

No question the diesel will make easier work of it than the 3.6. We have the 3.6 in our JKUS, (but that's a 5 speed) and while it is great for normal use, I'm not sure it feels like it has enough grunt to to hitch my boat to it! Can't try it with the JK since we'd be waaaaay over limits and frankly the chassis clearly wouldn't react well. While I love torque, I just haven't quite decided if I can justify the extra $4K for the diesel. Your post pushes me in that direction, though.
Sponsored