Sponsored

Re-calibration of ACC/FCW camera after windshield replacement?

abugarcias

First Name
Reuben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The time has come to replace my windshield due to a large star/crack from a rock. I don't have insurance coverage for glass so I will be paying out of pocket. Safelite quoted me $950 which includes re-calibration of the ACC/FCW camera. It doesn't make sense to me why the camera needs to be re-calibrated as it's not attached to the windshield and doesn't need re-calibration after folding the windshield down. Anyone else replace their windshield and not go through this costly step ($300 alone for re-calibration).
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Sounds about right.... I just got mine replaced also by safelite and it cost me approx. $600 for Mopar with no safety group...... -- and he told me it is more $$ if you have the safety group... California is bad because it goes under comprehensive, so, your deductable applies.... I just put Racing Optics film over my new mopar windshield for protection and I am really happy. Here is the link for the install. Super easy. At least I have some peace of mind now..., and I do not freak out when I am behind a semi.... lol..

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/anybody-got-gorilla-glass.23797/page-3#post-516872

Last edited:

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
When I needed a windshield in my '19 Forester, I was told there are slight differences in thickness and curvature (aberrations) in each windshield, and the cameras need to be adjusted to each specific piece of glass.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder why they quoted you so high. I swear they quoted me $545 which included calibration when mine was cracked but my wife looked at our policy at it was a $100 deductible so I went that route. There was actually two options they quoted me one without the Willy's Jeep on the windshield which was $405 and the OEM with the Willy's which was $545, both included Calibration. I'm in NC but I don't see it being a $400 swing just because of what state your in

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
It doesn't need it. I ran into that with Safelight and had to prove to them it doesn't. There's nothing attached to the windshield. Jeep doesn't even mention it in the service information under windshield replacement.

Sponsored

Dean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Gladiator4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my windshield replaced at just over 5000 miles also using Safelite. I have glass insurance coverage being from Arizona (rocks on every road). Its a requirement here in AZ, on my 2014 JKU I replaced my windshields several times a year. Anyway, the total was pretty scary and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it out of pocket myself.

Here is the breakdown: OEM Windshield (jeep graphics) Lists for $869.70 but Safelite discounted it to a selling price of $278.30, Labor $108.50, kit parts $18.00, Re-calibration Dynamic (Safety Group) $200.00, Cleaning $15.00, taxes $24.00. So the final insurance cost was $643.80. (And it did take them over an hour to do the work properly)...

For what its worth my only suggestion is to try and negotiate for the "selling price" instead of list if you don't have any glass coverage on your insurance. You can also shop around but Good luck getting a small company to do the work with the liability potential on the new enhanced "Safety" group equipped Gladiators.

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
I just had my windshield replaced at just over 5000 miles also using Safelite. I have glass insurance coverage being from Arizona (rocks on every road). Its a requirement here in AZ, on my 2014 JKU I replaced my windshields several times a year. Anyway, the total was pretty scary and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it out of pocket myself.

Here is the breakdown: OEM Windshield (jeep graphics) Lists for $869.70 but Safelite discounted it to a selling price of $278.30, Labor $108.50, kit parts $18.00, Re-calibration Dynamic (Safety Group) $200.00, Cleaning $15.00, taxes $24.00. So the final insurance cost was $643.80. (And it did take them over an hour to do the work properly)...

For what its worth my only suggestion is to try and negotiate for the "selling price" instead of list if you don't have any glass coverage on your insurance. You can also shop around but Good luck getting a small company to do the work with the liability potential on the new enhanced "Safety" group equipped Gladiators.
Did you go into the store or call to negotiate?
Sponsored