Sponsored

Redarc Trailer Brake Controller (Tow Pro Elite V3)

timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
I finished installing the newest version (V3)of the Redarc Trailer Brake Controller. I chose this controller as I didn't want to lose the existing factory 12v accessory port. I also wanted a dial mount location that was inconspicuous and looks factory installed. After much time sitting in the cab and trying placement options with the knob in my hand, I'm happy to share a spot that I haven't seen anyone else try. I installed the controller in the knock out next to the Cargo AC power button. It took a little bit of modification to the knock out and also the pod that the knock out clips to. See the pictures below for the trimming I did on the white plastic and the inside of the black plastic pod. It fits very nice and there is plenty of room behind this location.
I'm really happy with the way it turned out and hope this post helps others.

Jeep Gladiator Redarc Trailer Brake Controller (Tow Pro Elite V3) Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.49.08 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
timo

timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
I finished installing the newest version (V3)of the Redarc Trailer Brake Controller. I chose this controller as I didn't want to lose the existing factory 12v accessory port. I also wanted a dial mount location that was inconspicuous and looks factory installed. After much time sitting in the cab and trying placement options with the knob in my hand, I'm happy to share a spot that I haven't seen anyone else try. I installed the controller in the knock out next to the Cargo AC power button. It took a little bit of modification to the knock out and also the pod that the knock out clips to. I'm really happy with the way it turned out and hope this post helps others.

Jeep Gladiator Redarc Trailer Brake Controller (Tow Pro Elite V3) Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.49.08 PM
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.52.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.52.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.53.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.53.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.54.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.54.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.55.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.55.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 8.00.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 8.00.56 PM.png

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
You did a nice job. What is the V3? I can't find anything about it.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
On Redarc's website they don't list a Jeep Gladiator harness as being available. What harness did you use to connect between the Gladiator and their controller?

OP
OP
timo

timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
You did a nice job. What is the V3? I can't find anything about it.
The model I purchased is the tow pro elite V3. It is listed on the Redarc website. I also purchased the Jeep Harness (TPH-001) for a plug and play installation. Mine is a 2021, so I didn't have to worry about the diode.

Sponsored

OP
OP
timo

timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
On Redarc's website they don't list a Jeep Gladiator harness as being available. What harness did you use to connect between the Gladiator and their controller?
I purchased the Jeep Harness (TPH-001) for a plug and play installation. Mine is a 2021, so I didn't have to worry about the diode.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Jeep... ugh they have 2 different panels! I just picked up my 2021 today, and it doesn't have the panel that was shown in the first post.
Jeep Gladiator Redarc Trailer Brake Controller (Tow Pro Elite V3) Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.08.35 PM

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Nice job. I like the install location. How did you remove the panel insert?

OP
OP
timo

timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
Nice job. I like the install location. How did you remove the panel insert?
Thank you. I used some plastic auto trim removal tools. A flatblade screwdriver would work, too, but I was careful not to mar the plastic surface. I'd suggest removing the flat plastic piece first (the surface the knob sits against. Then remove the part that includes the existing switch for the 12v bed outlet). If you look at one of my last pictures, you will see there are two tabs on the top and two on the bottom. Slide a flat tool in that area, while pulling the assembly with your hand and it will pop out.

MJBoyle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Military
Jeep... ugh they have 2 different panels! I just picked up my 2021 today, and it doesn't have the panel that was shown in the first post.
Jeep Gladiator Redarc Trailer Brake Controller (Tow Pro Elite V3) Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.08.35 PM
That panel is only there if you got the cargo system option, as it adds a higher power inverter and outlet to the vehicle. That switch is for the outlet.

Sponsored

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Does anyone know if the TPH-020 cable work ok with the 2021? I picked one up thinking it was the right one...

Going to do my install when the cold snap is over in NE

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if the TPH-020 cable work ok with the 2021? I picked one up thinking it was the right one...

Going to do my install when the cold snap is over in NE
TPH-020 will work if you swap the blue and black wires. I did that on mine previously, it’s pretty easy to do.

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
TPH-020 will work if you swap the blue and black wires. I did that on mine previously, it’s pretty easy to do.
Thanks,
One way or another I'll get it to work!!

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Finally installed the Redarc brake controller.
I got a lot of great ideas from folks here on the forum so I want to share how it turned out.

The process was fairly simple, once I decided where to put things. I have the Overland without aux switches (I refused to pay that much for a handful of switches and relays). So I made an insert for the worthless cubby at the bottom of the dash for the controller and switches. I also ended up using the TPH-020 - just swapped the wires. Taking the dash apart IS intimidating the first time!

I used 1 1/2" aluminum angle stock for both the insert and the main controller bracket. Insert took about an hour to make - including spraying with flat black paint. Switch wiring I'll do later when I install lights, 110v inverted in back and an onboard compressor. I'll mount a fuse box under the hood and run low power control wire up to the switches then.

The advice I would give:
1. Be patient - take your time and think things through.
2. Have the right tools on hand - the trim removal tool set made a huge difference removing the dash. A step drill set makes the switch holes easy.
3. Don't leave anything that will shake around or vibrate - wire ties are you friend.

Most important - the blue light is on! Yes!

IMG_014097.JPG

IMG_014094.JPG

IMG_014092.JPG

IMG_014088.JPG

IMG_014087.JPG

IMG_014086.JPG

IMG_014083.JPG