Sponsored

Regearing for towing (sometimes) and driving in Colorado: 4.88 vs 5.13 can you share experience?

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
I've read all the forums and now have myself second guessing!

I've got a Rubicon Launch Edition. Currently stock 4.10 gears and 37" Patagonias (on spacer lift). I live in Colorado Springs and do a bit of wheeling in the mountains around the state. Next spring we are buying an Opus OP4 trailer (2800 empty/4000# gross weight) and hope to take that on the majority of our overnighters as well as a 30 day "road trip" across several states next summer. I'm Installing a 2.5" Clayton lift in about 10 days, FWIW. The truck is my DD but I don't have a long commute as I work from home so it would be mostly around town to BJJ or dropping kids off at school, etc. Longer trips on weekends in the mountains to go skiing/wheeling/camping.

Originally I was thinking of regearing to 4.88s as that seems to be what most people get (and I also forgot about altitude). Then I thought I'd simply get a 2nd set of lighter method rims and 35s for long distance towing and keeping on the Patagonias for local excursions and wheeling.

In reading online and talking with my local shop, they recommend 5.13s for the 37's if I were to tow with them for better power here in the mountains.

I don't ever intend on running larger than 37". Sometimes I think I'd be OK with going down to 35" but the 37" look soooo good lol!

RPMs appear to be same between 37" on 5.13 vs 35" on 4.88. Maybe better mileage on 35"s due to 1" lower and slightly lighter rotating mass.

So any opinions or experience on these options (particularly those with 4.88 and 5.13 already) or is there other major considerations I'm missing?:

1. Regear to 4.88: Pros--Flexibility in more towing power with 35" tires but better mileage and not wearing out the 37" when not trailering. Cons--COST of having to buy another set of wheels tires, store them, and swap out as needed & Slightly less power when trailer with 37" on shorter/offroad trips.
2. Regear to 5.13: Pros--SIMPLICITY by sticking with one set of 37" with similar power as 35"/4.88 combo; Cons--slightly worse mileage & faster tire wear plus 35" tires would probably not be an option in the future on 5.13. I'm NOT concerned about the smaller pinion size, FWIW.

I am taking it to the shop next Friday so would need to get this decision made and ordered up asap! Thanks in advance!

Jeep Gladiator Regearing for towing (sometimes) and driving in Colorado:  4.88 vs 5.13 can you share experience? IMG_2612 2
Sponsored

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR; 2020 JLUR; 2015 JKW; 2016 JKUR (Sold); 2014 JKSS (Sold); 2008 JKUR (Sold)
5.13s all day long in that scenario...because you're not going to want to swap tires every time. Unless you highway distances a lot, 5.13s will be fine and you wont have to worry about gearing for tow over the passes on the front range.

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2016 Husqvarna FE350S
The local shop here in Utah recommended 5.13 gears to me as well for similar use.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I live in Kansas but I pull a 3200 lb RPod camper to Colorado. I have a Rubicon with 37" Patagonia's and regeared to 4.88's. I wish I would have went to 5.13's especially in the mountains. RPM's would have only been around 150 higher with the 5.13's over the 4.88's and while I was towing I played around with tap shift and when I was in a cruising gear I would drop a gear and see what rpm's and mileage looked like and at times the mileage would actually go up when I dropped a gear as the motor did not have to work as hard to maintain speed.

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I think I’ve answered my own question and your responses so far confirm it. I believe my best solution is found with the simplest option: 5.13. One set of wheels, power whether I’m towing or not. 4:88/5:13 is 5% difference so most likely less than 1 MPG difference.

I’ll leave it open to other opinions but I think this is the way and will get it ordered up Monday.

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I think I’ve answered my own question and your responses so far confirm it. I believe my best solution is found with the simplest option: 5.13. One set of wheels, power whether I’m towing or not. 4:88/5:13 is 5% difference so most likely less than 1 MPG difference.

I’ll leave it open to other opinions but I think this is the way and will get it ordered up Monday.
I’m in the exact same boat as you.

Has anyone used Colorado Axle and Gear or have any recommendations in the Denver area?

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m in the exact same boat as you.

Has anyone used Colorado Axle and Gear or have any recommendations in the Denver area?
I’m going to do it at Tanner 4x4 here likely. However wanting to get a quote Monday from the dealer just for giggles.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I’ve thought about getting a quote from the dealer in case I decide to not install a locker.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I lived in CO for four years, the altitude effect on n/a engines is no joke. My stock JKU struggled hard in the mountains. It was a 6 speed Rubicon on the stock 32s. On 37s, 5.13s all day long.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
When I installed 4:56 gears in my XJ everyone recommended 4:10 /4:11 I went straight to 4:56 no regret. That put it in power band and even got better MPG with the 33 than I was getting with 31s. I pulled a steel 24ft car trailer with a second XJ on it the lacking was braking (I don't recommend but that area is flat just above sea level). That jump was from 3:54/3:55 gearing and 33 in tires put odometer reading just over actual speed 35 right on in a 90 XJ with over 100k then. So go deep but not to the point of weak gear set. I was able to drag quite a few full size trucks and HUMVEE out. Re-Gearing is something you only want to do one time. Back then 5:13 was a D60-80, 14 bolt or Rockwell's arena. Then you can keep drive shafts/ joints as the safety fuse. But at that time I had another XJ, MJ and MTN. Bike to get to work. My commute was 5-7 miles round-trip and faster on bicycle I could cut a few miles off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow - got a quote from my dealer (yeah, I know, I know) just to see what they'd charge for gear install. Took them like 3 days to "put the quote together"--clearly they don't do it very often at all. While they said it would be done by certified installer with genuine parts (except aftermarket gears but didn't know brand) it would be $4600! Pass on that. 1 year parts warranty and 2 years labor.

Local shop is charging $1400 labor and I got the gears coming in from Offroad Elements for $850. Yeah, I could probably get the labor lower somewhere else but this is probably one of the most experienced shops in the area so I want to make sure it is right (plus the lift install they'll be doing was much less than expected for labor costs).

Dropping it off on Saturday and when I get back from my biz trip I'll have new gears on Thursday next week ;) Glad I revisited the ratio here - I'm 100% sure the 5.13 is the right fit for me now. Cheers!

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Wow - got a quote from my dealer (yeah, I know, I know) just to see what they'd charge for gear install. Took them like 3 days to "put the quote together"--clearly they don't do it very often at all. While they said it would be done by certified installer with genuine parts (except aftermarket gears but didn't know brand) it would be $4600! Pass on that. 1 year parts warranty and 2 years labor.

Local shop is charging $1400 labor and I got the gears coming in from Offroad Elements for $850. Yeah, I could probably get the labor lower somewhere else but this is probably one of the most experienced shops in the area so I want to make sure it is right (plus the lift install they'll be doing was much less than expected for labor costs).

Dropping it off on Saturday and when I get back from my biz trip I'll have new gears on Thursday next week ;) Glad I revisited the ratio here - I'm 100% sure the 5.13 is the right fit for me now. Cheers!
Glad I stumbled upon this CO thread. I have a JTR with Clayton lift and 37's. Don't see anything over 6th gear thru the MTNs and live in 3rd and 4th on the passes right now. I will re-gear next year and I think 5.13's are the way to go. Everyone says how much smaller the teeth are with the 5.13's over 4.88 but honestly I heard the same thing when I had my FJ Cruiser with 4.56's vs 4.88's. I regretted going with 4.56's in CO with my loaded FJ and don't want to wish that I'd have gone lower with the JTR. Also, I'm weighted down with roughly 600-700lb constant load at all times.

Toytec recommended CO Axle and Gear to me but I'd be curious to see how yours turns out and I will spend more if the job is done correct.

IMG_20200831_110910.jpg

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad I stumbled upon this CO thread. I have a JTR with Clayton lift and 37's. Don't see anything over 6th gear thru the MTNs and live in 3rd and 4th on the passes right now. I will re-gear next year and I think 5.13's are the way to go. Everyone says how much smaller the teeth are with the 5.13's over 4.88 but honestly I heard the same thing when I had my FJ Cruiser with 4.56's vs 4.88's. I regretted going with 4.56's in CO with my loaded FJ and don't want to wish that I'd have gone lower with the JTR. Also, I'm weighted down with roughly 600-700lb constant load at all times.

Toytec recommended CO Axle and Gear to me but I'd be curious to see how yours turns out and I will spend more if the job is done correct.

IMG_20200831_110910.jpg
Nice JT setup! I'm actually typing you a question about your rear springs in your other thread but I'll do that over there in a moment ;)

I'm taking mine to Tanner 4x4 here in the Springs for the lift and regear so I'll let you all know how it goes!

Last edited:
OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice JT setup! I'm actually typing you a question about your rear springs in your other thread but I'll do that over there in a moment ;)

I'm taking mine to Tanner 4x4 here in the Springs for the lift and regear so I'll let you all know how it goes!
Sorry for the delayed response! Still waiting for my lift to arrive but I did get my regear done. Overall very pleased with the 5.13 gears. It has surprised me in that on a flat it is holding 8th gear at 45MPG, lol! I haven't taken it on any long trips yet but the throttle response is much better now and from what I can tell much less hunting for the right torque/gear combo. Going to take a longer trip to Durango in 2 weeks. Won't be able to tow with it until we get out camper next spring. Overall tho, I think 5.13 gears is a no-brainer for this truck anywhere in the US but particularly here in CO.

I'll report more in a few weeks when I get some more mileage under my belt...

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I am happy with 4.88s on mine with 37s but I live in a more flat area on the east coast. If I were in Colorado I would go 5.13 all day long.
Sponsored