Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So I just traded mine in. Dealers around here (Richmond VA area) are using KBB instant cash offer, which is very misleading if you go to KBB and plug in your info to get a trade value range. Don't assume the values you get from KBB/NADA/CARMAX etc will hold at a dealer.

I had to fight to get more money. Fortunately I was dealing with them on the 29th and 30th of the month and they were desperate for a sale, so I got 3K more for the trade by waiting a week. Asshats. They gave me zero for the handful of after market upgrades so I removed them all and returned it to stock. But I never buy a vehicle expecting great resale. Market has changed again.
When I traded my 2020 for my 22 back in summer of 2022 - the dealer beat KBB by a crazy amount, Carvana was a big joke, Carmax right along with 'em, Driveway was the only reasonable offer and the dealer almost met that one. He was thousands over KBB and the others - 3 to 5 K over what the online places were offering to buy my JT for and KBB trade value was well under what the dealer gave me.

Dealers around here won't give you squat for your "upgrades" - they don't sell well.
I know personally I want a clean slate and wouldn't ever buy a Jeep with mods already installed. Multiple reasons.
Your mods are for you - you like them, you wanted them, but don't expect others to agree and love your tastes. For me it's also - I want to do it myself, my way with the parts I want, and ensure it's done right. Not take my chances on anything who knows did it or their cousin bubba.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It’s depressing. If I sell I probably will never buy another Jeep. Low mileage Broncos in my area are selling for near original msrp. I definitely bought the wrong brand.
Anyone buying with a future sale or trade in mind and speculating has a financial advisor as a fool. Sorry, but anyone who is basing whether or not their purchase was good based on future resale ideas - bad idea, big mistake.

I know people who have bought used Wranglers, driven them for 4 or 5 years, then sold them for almost their original purchase price. One friend actually got more after 5 years.

You are in a WEIRD market time - and again, sorry, but being a tad foolish if you are basing anything on resale. That's just a totally bad reason to buy a vehicle, new or used.

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
I bought my '22 JTR and just under MSRP 2 years ago and now have thousands in mods and 16k miles on it. To even think of selling now would be a real bath for me. I built it for me and plan to keep it a Long while. I don't really care about MPG. I have installed all the mods in my garage myself. I'll keep it for another 4 years then change to ??? For better or worse the world will be a different place next year.

Dakarra

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Three consistent items to consider:
1) It doesn't matter what you paid for it, and it ESPECIALLY doesn't matter what you spent building it afterward. Those upgrades mean nothing to the dealer.

2) Your mods are only worth anything to someone who wants a Jeep that is already built and exactly like yours - they're out there but hard to find. The dealers know this, and a fully built used Jeep will be hard(er) for them to sell.

3) If you bought your Jeep in 2020, 2021 (like I did), or 2022 you paid top dollar for it. Unfortunately, the dealers are pushing 2023 and 2024 models out for less than KBB says yours is worth - so there is no way you're going to get a "fair" number for it.

If you absolutely must sell it you're better served to run an Autotrader ad or something and try and sell it privately - but then you're competing with brand new Jeeps that cost about the same.

To be honest, I have always been "that guy" that trades his vehicle in at a loss to get the latest,newest,shiniest.... It was a hard pill to swallow when I realized that my '21 Willys with less than 18,000 miles and close to $35K in upgrades was worth about $27K to a dealer. Remember, it is only a loss if you sell. If you keep it and use it, you haven't lost anything.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
The thing to remember is that any number you get is just a guess. I know how it sounds but the truth is it's worth what someone will pay for it. So if you want a general answer, the $40k range is probably a good starting point. Past that, you are going to need to actually try to sell it and see what the offers are.

So if you really aren't looking to sell, then just plug it into KBB to satisfy the curiosity.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Dealers around here won't give you squat for your "upgrades" - they don't sell well.
I know personally I want a clean slate and wouldn't ever buy a Jeep with mods already installed. Multiple reasons.
Your mods are for you - you like them, you wanted them, but don't expect others to agree and love your tastes. For me it's also - I want to do it myself, my way with the parts I want, and ensure it's done right. Not take my chances on anything who knows did it or their cousin bubba.
If dumping my JT told me anything, it's save your stock parts and go back before selling. If you are getting rid of something modded, it's getting wholesaled and you're both getting little for the mods and taking the trade hit. Dealers wouldn't even talk trades - they were all third parties buying off pics and negotiating was minimal if at all.

I honestly just didn't feel like dealing with it but probably lost $3-4k in the process.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If dumping my JT told me anything, it's save your stock parts and go back before selling. If you are getting rid of something modded, it's getting wholesaled and you're both getting little for the mods and taking the trade hit. Dealers wouldn't even talk trades - they were all third parties buying off pics and negotiating was minimal if at all.

I honestly just didn't feel like dealing with it but probably lost $3-4k in the process.
In 2022 I was told to put my 2020 back to stock, exactly as it came from the factory.
When I asked about trading my 2022 for a 24 this year, I heard the same thing - put it all back.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Anyone buying with a future sale or trade in mind and speculating has a financial advisor as a fool. Sorry, but anyone who is basing whether or not their purchase was good based on future resale ideas - bad idea, big mistake.

I know people who have bought used Wranglers, driven them for 4 or 5 years, then sold them for almost their original purchase price. One friend actually got more after 5 years.

You are in a WEIRD market time - and again, sorry, but being a tad foolish if you are basing anything on resale. That's just a totally bad reason to buy a vehicle, new or used.
In 2022 I was told to put my 2020 back to stock, exactly as it came from the factory.
When I asked about trading my 2022 for a 24 this year, I heard the same thing - put it all back.
But there was that weird time where you could buy a Bronco or Gladiator, put some nice wheels and tires on it, own it for 6 months and pocket money when you sold it.

TheDerb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
If you are very patient, the private m
It’s depressing. If I sell I probably will never buy another Jeep. Low mileage Broncos in my area are selling for near original msrp. I definitely bought the wrong brand.
This is a ridiculous take.

Broncos aren't trucks. Broncos don't compete with the Gladiator. Wranglers are also far better on resale than Gladiators.

Comparison is the thief of joy, dude. If you base your relationship with a brand on its resale value, and not your enjoyment of what the brand produces, you aren't ever going to be happy.

Sponsored

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just sold my 2020 Rubi with mucho modifications and 18K miles. Got $38K for it and I was happy as hell.

NotSo Bright White

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR DIESEL
Occupation
Retire Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 21 JTRD and LOVE it! When the prices took a dump, it was incentive to by a 23 Mojave and I LOVE it! So it makes sense to buy the 25 JT Hybrid. I am hoping by then, the wife doesn’t notice the two in the driveway. I am sure she will be pissed when I ask her to park her Benz in the street!
:{)

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If you base your relationship with a brand on its resale value, and not your enjoyment of what the brand produces, you aren't ever going to be happy.
Yup! Never understood the paralysis some have over resale value. It is what it is.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase