Sponsored

REVIEW: Carolina Metal Masters holster bracket.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, not in holster
Yes, round in chamber.
I remove it from Fobus holster when I enter vehicle.
Please tell me this in't correct.

You have a loaded Glock, with a round in the chamber, not in a holster, sitting in the space between the e-brake and the console. With nothing covering the trigger and nothing retaining the gun other than gravity.

Please tell me I'm wrong. Otherwise this is INCREDIBLY stupid.

**edit - I need to emphasize again how ridiculously terribly incredibly amazingly bad this is. **

So bad, I really hope that I read this wrong.
Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
To clarify
Yes round in chamber, Glock.
Resting in space between brake and console.
Rests on my thigh in bad parts of town. Goes back in my holster when I exit the vehicle.
Carry how you wish sir, I will do the same.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To clarify
Yes round in chamber, Glock.
Resting in space between brake and console.
Rests on my thigh in bad parts of town. Goes back in my holster when I exit the vehicle.
Carry how you wish sir, I will do the same.

I certainly wouldn't try to stop you. But that doesn't change the fact that what you are doing is incredibly stupid.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Grabbing my popcorn..............

I could say a lot after 20 years in the Army and 3 combat tours........... but I will stay in my lane; the RSO defined my left and right limits.......I'll stay there LOL

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
MikešŸ–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I certainly wouldn't try to stop you. But that doesn't change the fact that what you are doing is incredibly stupid.
Some people don't want to listen, and won't change their ways even with great advice and insight presented to them. You can put it out there, and its up to them to take it. It'll likely take a negative situation to change the wrong mindset, or the negative situation will never happen, and it will all be perceived as "okay" or "correct" and be taught to younger generations, unfortunately. It's just the way of the world.

All of that being said, I keep mine without a round in the chamber, for the safety of others (and the occasional personal mistake) who may come in contact with it, or an accidental situation. This eliminates potential for mistakes to cause a threatening situation.

I prefer to train on racking speed/ability to get the round in there faster, rather than already keeping a round in there.

Sponsored

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired
This looks like a well executed design of a terrible idea.

Why?? And why would you want to make it so that someone casually looking into the truck while you are driving or stopped at a light, or pulled over by a cop, can see it?

Keep the gun on you or if you MUST take it off , then remove the entire holster and put the whole package in the glove box.

If its an OWB holster, you should be able to drive comfortably with it. If not, get a better holster. I've been carrying for 30+ years. It takes a while to get comfortable carrying. It sucks until then. Especially driving.

If its an IWB, you will get used to it. Clint smith once famously said that carrying a firearm should be comforting not comfortable.

I don't necessarily agree with that. But there are many ways to make it so you don't have to do these ridiculous gymnastics to drive comfortably.

I mentioned earlier removing the whole "package". I'm talking about an IwB with belt clips like the Alien gear or CrossBreed holsters.

Either way. Stupid product well executed.
Given the number of times Iā€™ve gotten out of the car or truck and left my keys, or phone in plain sight is proof to me that this would be a bad thing for me. That said I have taken enough simulation training at Sig to learn that having an easy to draw concealed handgun when you are standing can become not so easy when youā€™re behind the wheel.

I get your security point, however putting a handgun in your console, or glovebox, or otherwise relinquishing control in Massachusetts is illegal unless the gun is unloaded and locked in a container. And that of course defeats the whole purpose. So iā€™ve learned to get the holster where itā€™s comfortable and accessible when Iā€™m in the car.

And a ps on your comment regarding accidents. You are absolutely right. I spent a number of years in the transportation industry investigating and analyzing large vehicle accidents. My conclusion is that there are certainly dumbasses who get themselves or other killed or maimed, but there are far more professional people who ā€œknowā€ the safety rules, but donā€™t follow them and get into trouble either through intentionally ignoring them, or just forgetting.

Last edited:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just noticed this.

I remove it from Fobus holster when I enter vehicle.
;-)

In a previous post I said "There are 2 kinds of shooters. Those that have had negligent discharges and those that have not.".

I messed up. It should have said, "There are 2 kinds of shooters. Those that have had negligent discharges and those that WILL".

All of that being said, I keep mine without a round in the chamber, for the safety of others (and the occasional personal mistake) who may come in contact with it, or an accidental situation. This eliminates potential for mistakes to cause a threatening situation.

I prefer to train on racking speed/ability to get the round in there faster, rather than already keeping a round in there.
I disagree with this practice, but can respect it because you are not putting yourself or others at risk by doing this.

If you want to talk some time about it, PM me. I'd be happy to discuss. In short, with the right holster, the right protocols (minimizing administrative handling) and some practice, you can carry and manage a firearm with one in the chamber with a high degree of safety.

Key accessory to managing risk of a firearm with a loaded chamber and no manual safety is a good stiff holster that completely encloses the trigger guard. Which is why putting a "Condition 0" handgun between the e-brake and console is so exceedingly stupid.

You also want that holster to be easy to take on and off. So that at the end of the day you leave the gun in the holster and just remove the whole package.

Last edited:

MajorUrsus

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Professional
I have mine mounted to a JCR Off-road molle panel.

Jeep Gladiator REVIEW: Carolina Metal Masters holster bracket. holster

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Years ago. My one brother in law worked for an auto wrecker/scrapyard. Everytime a wreck would come in. They would search under the dash for guns and other items. Anything that was under the seat will fly to under the dash in a head on crash. Plus anything in the trunk would end up behind the rear seat cushion. They would find guns, drugs, and cash all the time. A lot of it was never claimed.

So be careful where you place your guns in your vehicles.

Punisher1-1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator North Edition
Occupation
Firearm Auditor
That is the dumbest thing Iā€™ve ever heard. Safe firearm handling will mean never having a negligent discharge. Working with firearms for over 20 years in the military with 4 combat tours in Iraq, law enforcement and currently working in federal firearm compliance (where I have found numerous loaded firearms during inspections, when they should be unloaded) I have never come close to a negligent discharge. Having your firearm accessible when you need it is paramount. What good is your paper weight when you need to draw and fire in fractions of a second? Have you trained firing from a vehicle? I have, and was a requirement in the Army PSD school when I attended. I could go into things like the 21 foot rule and more, but donā€™t assume because your level of training is inferior to others, you can make a legitimate argument. I spoke to the guys at CMM during the lone-star Jeep invasion and itā€™s a great setup. As said above you want your firearm secured during an accident. Removing your firearm wile in the holster is good practice, which using their Mount is entirely possible. When every fraction of a second counts, trying to draw while working around a seatbelt requires tremendous training time. Instead of trying to be a subject matter expert you are not, defer that some have training and this is their best solution.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is the dumbest thing Iā€™ve ever heard. Safe firearm handling will mean never having a negligent discharge. Working with firearms for over 20 years in the military with 4 combat tours in Iraq, law enforcement and currently working in federal firearm compliance (where I have found numerous loaded firearms during inspections, when they should be unloaded) I have never come close to a negligent discharge. Having your firearm accessible when you need it is paramount. What good is your paper weight when you need to draw and fire in fractions of a second? Have you trained firing from a vehicle? I have, and was a requirement in the Army PSD school when I attended. I could go into things like the 21 foot rule and more, but donā€™t assume because your level of training is inferior to others, you can make a legitimate argument. I spoke to the guys at CMM during the lone-star Jeep invasion and itā€™s a great setup. As said above you want your firearm secured during an accident. Removing your firearm wile in the holster is good practice, which using their Mount is entirely possible. When every fraction of a second counts, trying to draw while working around a seatbelt requires tremendous training time. Instead of trying to be a subject matter expert you are not, defer that some have training and this is their best solution.
Sorry but your experience as LE and Mil does not present anything even remotely like what most of us have to manage.

I'm sure you are highly experienced and safe, with impeccable credentials and training. But most of us have to balance many factors. I am not LE or Mil but have been shooting in practical shooting disciplines since 1996 as well as taking advanced training when most cops were still standing with their toes on the line.

People steal from cars. Issuing authorities pull carry licenses if a gun goes missing or you frighten the "sheeple". You balance the risks and make your choices.

If you are making the run between Baghdad airport and the green zone, then this would be a great idea. Which is why I said its a well executed poor idea. I know I'm about to stir up shit with someone who has exponentially more experience then me, but what the hell, I'm a massochist.

This oozes "Hey Look at Me. I have a gun" as described in the OP.

For what its worth, I've done many classes where we had to draw from a car and it does suck. But it can be managed with training and equipment selection. (I've never been a fan of AIWB so I guess there's one ding against it). I've also competed where we had to draw from inside a car and engage targets out both drivers and passengers side windows. So I get your point. But on balance, frankly the hassles and risks of forgetting and leaving an unsecured firearm behind outweigh the slight benefit in access.

This balance probably weighs in favor of something like this for LE or Mil in certain situations. But for most of us in most situations, its not worth it.

Its not fashionable these days, but I've seen first hand how fast an ankle holster can be when seated in a car. Its a far more practical and safer option, possibly in combination with a normal belt mounted firearm, than an open topped, non-retention holster mounted for all the world to see.

And when you get out, the gun naturally comes with you.

Yossarian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
One comment on the "Well executed, terrible idea". Speaking from 30+ years as a LEO. (Retired) On a routine car stop, the officer approaches, asks for your DL. Maybe the lighting isn't great, officer doesn't have a great sight line into the vehicle, and you drop something getting your DL out. You reach down to get it, and then the officer sees your gun in the holster attached to the CMM mount. This is where things start to occur.

Not looking for an argument or anything of the sort. Having performed countless car stops in a variety of circumstances, I just see this mount/setup coupled with the countless things that can go wrong on a "routine" car stop, as a bad idea. I have pulled people over because their car kinda fit the description of robbery vehicle and all they ever knew was, they were pulled over for a minor traffic violation. You will never know for sure what the officer is thinking when they pull you over.

The chances of anything bad occurring with this setup are probably a million to one, but never zero.

My 2 cents.

As mentioned, to each his own.

Last edited:

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
One comment on the "Well executed, terrible idea". Speaking from 30+ years as a LEO. (Retired) On a routine car stop, the officer approaches, asks for your DL. Maybe the lighting isn't great, officer doesn't have a great sight line into the vehicle, and you drop something getting your DL out. You reach down to get it, and then the officer sees your gun in the holster attached to the CMM mount. This is where things start to occur.

Not looking for an argument or anything of the sort. Having performed countless car stops in a variety of circumstances, I just see this mount/setup coupled with the countless things that can go wrong on a "routine" car stop, as a bad idea. I have pulled people over because their car kinda fit the description of robbery vehicle and all they ever knew was, they were pulled over for a minor traffic violation. You will never know for sure what the officer is thinking when they pull you over.

The chances of anything bad occurring with this setup are probably a million to one, but never zero.

My 2 cents.

As mentioned, to each his own.

Ditto..

Retired LEO here as well. Your points are straight on the mark.

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
Thatā€™s pretty nifty but I like keeping my firearm on my person. I typically carry OWB strong side and usually donā€™t have ā€œcomfortā€œ problems while driving. Iā€˜ve occasionally used an OWB cross draw holster if Iā€™m going to be driving all day. Much better access than ā€œFBIā€.

If I didnā€™t care about concealing the firearm at all Iā€™d use one of my tanker holsters.
Sponsored