Sponsored

Rock Crawling Lights/ Fender/ Underbelly lights

TheDude317

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator rubicon 22, wrangler sahara 4xe 23
Jello - friends of the netterwebs.

I'm looking to utilize the aux panel i've installed and am open to suggestions. I would like eventually to have a fridge and compressor for overlanding attached to it but am also loking to install a light bar and some lights as described in the subject above. However, a local shop I went to recently told me that 8 lights (2 per tire) would be 400$ for the lights and 700$ for them to install.

I'm also looking for a sanity check. This seems outright retarded.

What I want:

1. waterproof
2. color configurable via my phone once power is applied
3. compatible with my aux panel
4. the ability to have each wheelwell and the breakover point in my truck available
5. multi color
6. mounted/wired in such a way that i can have SOME peace of mind that when I do occasionally crawl rocks that I will not likely cut a cable.

suggestions, conversations and thoughts will all be entertained.

Thank you in advance

PS - I know that some states disallow this if in conflict with red or blue lights because police. And, sometimes the angle and height of your vehicle can be problematic and unsafe for other vehicles using these lights. I would like to mitigate those risks with respect to Indiana. Please advise
Sponsored

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I’m eventually going to install these:

https://a.co/d/aEikQpV

I purchased their 3 led strip lights for the bed of the JT and it’s pretty decent quality.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I just put these on my golf cart. They seem worthy of some abuse.

RGBW Rock Lights, SUNPIE 8 Pods High Power App RF Remote Control Multicolor Underglow Neon Light Kit Wheel Well Lights Voice Mode Music Mode Automatic Control for Off Road Truck SUV ATV UTV Boat https://a.co/d/3MM9j2m

EricStanley

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Check out QuakeLED. Their website is utter garbage. But their 8-pc rock lights and QuadLock controller do exactly what you're describing. The controller senses things like courtesy lights, blinkers, 4-ways, etc, and the rock lights respond to those exactly how you'd want them to. Terrible website wit zero real description, but honestly it's a pretty cool product. I'd never heard of them before I bought a Gladiator that had them installed already. Will try to get semi-useful pic's vid at night and post here.

Sponsored

MMMojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired LEO - Current College Professor
I bought the (8) pack white LUX rock lights AND the Pro Installer.

Question:

Is there a way to have the master turn on/off switch AND wire them to come on when the remote unlocks or doors open?

Any help would be great!

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, 2012 JK
Occupation
IT Analyst, Volunteer Firefighter
I bought the (8) pack white LUX rock lights AND the Pro Installer.

Question:

Is there a way to have the master turn on/off switch AND wire them to come on when the remote unlocks or doors open?

Any help would be great!
You want to be able to turn them on by themselves with a switch and wish for them to activate when the lights turn on for that period where the lights turn on when you open the doors or remote unlock them is what I'm reading here.

One issue I see is adding to the power consumption of the headlights/running lights. The other issue is keeping them off during normal night operation. That is where this requires a lot of thought. A simple diode would work for everything except normal night operation. You tap a feed for the switch in after the diode for switched operation, The diode ties into the parking light circuit. This, however, does not stop them from lighting up when the parking lights are on. So this does not work passively. You could add a switch to disable the parking lights from activating the rock lights but that requires you turning the switch off everytime you get in the Jeep.

At the moment, I don't have a full automatic solution. I'll think about this some more though.

Reactions: Dee

MMMojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Just a thought…

Could I use the the bed lights to tap into..as they come on when truck is unlocked…there is also a on/off switch for the bed lights on the dash…

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thought…

Could I use the the bed lights to tap into..as they come on when truck is unlocked…there is also a on/off switch for the bed lights on the dash…
The switch on the dash for the bed lights only functions when the truck is on. The bed lights come on with the interior lights when it is unlocked or the doors are opened. You have to be careful trying to wire into this stuff. The computer toggles the lights on and off and monitors the draw. It's no longer just a circuit off the fuse box controlled by a switch.

MMMojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
I know of ypu guys will get this figired out :)

Just let me know.

Sponsored

MMMojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Soo. A little follow up and research.

It appears you CAN run from the bed lights using a diode.. go to the pro-insraller box and then out to the bed light switch (left side of dash) and will have:

Rock-Lights as courtesy with remote or door opening

Rock-Lights woth on/off dash switch

Will show all once mine are done

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
The switch on the dash for the bed lights only functions when the truck is on. The bed lights come on with the interior lights when it is unlocked or the doors are opened. You have to be careful trying to wire into this stuff. The computer toggles the lights on and off and monitors the draw. It's no longer just a circuit off the fuse box controlled by a switch.
Like he said^
You gotta figure out how/when you want them to work and how much work you want to do. Simply wiring to the aux panel is pretty easy but won’t come on when the doors unlock, for example.

I wired in two light strips to the bed lights. With a Tazer you also can triple click the remote to keep the lights on 30mins.
I left a couple pigtails to add two door step lights but haven’t put any in, for me I’d be happy with that to light up the doors when I unlock.
Not sure how much amperage you can add to the circuit before it gets angry.
LINK
For my purposes I would be happy with that setup. Not worth it to me to figure out how to wire in a diode or something. I’ve heard people tapping into the footwell lights but mess up wire selection or doesn’t work for some reason.

As far as rock lights, I WOULDN’T RECOMMEND ORACLE.
I wired a set to my aux panel.
Wanted to have option of color change though probably run amber. The three lenses blend colors, just not well, so here is the “amber” setting:headbang:
Jeep Gladiator Rock Crawling Lights/ Fender/ Underbelly lights 1693504069210

wtf is that?
so these altogether cost me ~$320. For lights that can’t do amber..
As a comparison, I could order any generic $100 kit from Amazon and still piece together a similar DIY kit for not much less effort..
Or, order a quality KC C-series RGB 6pc kit for $229, which is similar to this but better quality for sure.
A baller KC cyclone 6pc kit $319 has 16, 11, 8ft cords. Pretty much nailed it for the gladiator. Magnets and colored lenses add $53, $372 total. Would definitely do this if I started over.
(Also Lux 8pc lights are $449. Nice but I think I’d do KC. FYI an 8pc magnetic KC cyclone kit is $486 priced out. 6pc probably fine?).

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Soo. A little follow up and research.

It appears you CAN run from the bed lights using a diode.. go to the pro-insraller box and then out to the bed light switch (left side of dash) and will have:

Rock-Lights as courtesy with remote or door opening

Rock-Lights woth on/off dash switch

Will show all once mine are done
In theory, this will work. Again I caution you on not putting too much of a load on that circuit.

What is the amp draw of the 8 rock lights? Then what is the current capacity of the bed light circuit?

You might need to trigger a Bosch relay with the bed light circuit. Tie the bed light to pin 85, ground pin 86 and run 12V to pin 87 and connect the lights to pin 30. Now, also on pin 30, you can install your dash switch to manually power on the lights.

When the bed light comes on, the relay coil activates, connects pin 87 to pin 30 and lights come on. From the separate dash switch to pin 30, turn switch on, lights come on and they are on a new circuit that you ran.

MMMojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Question:

Where does the doide get wired in?

If i am using the bed lights as my splice in where does the diode get installed?

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Question:

Where does the doide get wired in?

If i am using the bed lights as my splice in where does the diode get installed?
You would use a diode of appropriate size for the current draw of the lights you are powering. Install the diode in the wire that you are tapping into the bed light with the band on the diode pointing at the rock lights. Hook up your full time switch after the diode.

Here is a link to a 10A diode that will work. If your lights draw more than 10A, search for one that meets that rating.
https://www.amazon.com/BlueStars-Sc...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Sponsored