Roof leak in back

sector4208

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Mine has been at the dealer 28 days as of today for the rear window leak. Dealer/Glass shop damaged the 1st attempt to fix. Replaced header seal since they found a leak up there as well. They messed that up and created another leak. Replaced the top with one off the lot and that one leaked. Ordered a new top/glass and the shop has had it a week and is unsure how to install it now. I was quiet about it but now since they said they need a couple more weeks to complete the repairs I figured oh well.
Sponsored

bokonon

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2020 JT
Mine has been at the dealer 28 days as of today for the rear window leak. Dealer/Glass shop damaged the 1st attempt to fix. Replaced header seal since they found a leak up there as well. They messed that up and created another leak. Replaced the top with one off the lot and that one leaked. Ordered a new top/glass and the shop has had it a week and is unsure how to install it now. I was quiet about it but now since they said they need a couple more weeks to complete the repairs I figured oh well.
You are much more patient than me! :) Hope they get you taken care of soon.

The part where you said they replaced the top and that one leaked, too, is a bit worrisome to me. I've wondered for awhile if the problem is not just the glass but the seam on the hardtop where the vertical part of the top meets the horizontal part. I recently bought five feet of 5/8" drip rail molding that I installed to cover the gap between the hardtop and the window along the entire horizontal portion and partially down the sides. Pic:

Jeep Gladiator Roof leak in back IMG_3416

Theoretically this should have at least slowed down the leak. Even if it was only 50% sealed the water would have come in much slower. But the first time it rained I went into the back seat and, sure enough, the water was coming in just as fast as it was without the molding. I won't know for sure if the top is a problem until my glass gets replaced (latest ETA is 9/17), but I will update the first time it rains after the new glass is installed. Best of luck to everyone dealing with this issue!

sector4208

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
You are much more patient than me! :) Hope they get you taken care of soon.

The part where you said they replaced the top and that one leaked, too, is a bit worrisome to me. I've wondered for awhile if the problem is not just the glass but the seam on the hardtop where the vertical part of the top meets the horizontal part. I recently bought five feet of 5/8" drip rail molding that I installed to cover the gap between the hardtop and the window along the entire horizontal portion and partially down the sides. Pic:

IMG_3416.jpg

Theoretically this should have at least slowed down the leak. Even if it was only 50% sealed the water would have come in much slower. But the first time it rained I went into the back seat and, sure enough, the water was coming in just as fast as it was without the molding. I won't know for sure if the top is a problem until my glass gets replaced (latest ETA is 9/17), but I will update the first time it rains after the new glass is installed. Best of luck to everyone dealing with this issue!

I am not sure about the top seam. The dealer said on the second top they removed the glass and found cracks that were not repairable in the "framing" of the window. I am curious if there is a relation to build date for these issues. I found out mine was built 8/2019 but I did not get it until 6/15/20. So here I am 4 payments in and have not had it very long in my possession, only 1271 miles.

DHP

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland JT
I am not sure about the top seam. The dealer said on the second top they removed the glass and found cracks that were not repairable in the "framing" of the window. I am curious if there is a relation to build date for these issues. I found out mine was built 8/2019 but I did not get it until 6/15/20. So here I am 4 payments in and have not had it very long in my possession, only 1271 miles.
Mine had this issue and is a 6/19 build date. Purchased in 8/19

bokonon

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2020 JT
Mine had this issue and is a 6/19 build date. Purchased in 8/19
5/19 build date on mine. Interested to see if we all fall in a certain short/limited range.

Reactions: DHP

Sponsored

brookie0907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ UR 2020 JT Rubicon
5/19 build date on mine. Interested to see if we all fall in a certain short/limited range.
I believe mine was built 8/19 and I purchased 11/19. I dropped it off at the dealer Wednesday. The window vendor is supposed to look at it today. The dealer said it was leaking near the top transition, which is what I told them before. I should know something next week.

aixguru

First Name
aixguru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor Rubicon LE (Billet Silver)
6/19 build date. 8/19 purchase date. No leaks during the first 6 months (raining the day I took delivery) but earlier this year started small slowly increasing over time. Dealer is working to replace the hardtop after my reaction to the glass shop's plan to replace the glass (cut glass with power tools). My understanding there is a hardtop supply issue at this time.

brookie0907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6/19 build date. 8/19 purchase date. No leaks during the first 6 months (raining the day I took delivery) but earlier this year started small slowly increasing over time. Dealer is working to replace the hardtop after my reaction to the glass shop's plan to replace the glass (cut glass with power tools). My understanding is there is a hardtop supply issue at this time.
Dealer mentioned a glass and seal replacement, that the window vender had replaced several for other local dealers. I'm the first for my local dealer. Nothing was said about how the replacement would be handled. I did take detailed photos of the top before dropping off. This is not the dealer where my JT was purchased.

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer called. Glass is in stock. Replacement scheduled for next week. Will post if issue is resolved by new glass. FYI - rear glass being installed is a new design. The original design is susceptible to cracking. This is the same problem Ram truck owners have been experiencing.

Last edited:

brookie0907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer called. Glass is in stock. Replacement scheduled for next week. Will post if issue is resolved by new glass. FYI - rear glass being installed is a new design. The original design is susceptible to cracking. This is the same problem Ram truck owners have been experiencing.
Dealer said replacement glass is ordered and is supposed to come directly from the manufacturer. They estimate 4-5 days. We'll see. They also said the top was scratched during removal, but will have it fixed too. I believe the tech said the leak was between the gasket and glass, not the body and gasket.

Sponsored

DHP

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland JT
Dealer said replacement glass is ordered and is supposed to come directly from the manufacturer. They estimate 4-5 days. We'll see. They also said the top was scratched during removal, but will have it fixed too. I believe the tech said the leak was between the gasket and glass, not the body and gasket.
I had the same issue with the scratched top. Whoever painted it did a crappy job and the clear coat has drips in it on the top. The dealership stopped responding.

Which reminds me, @JeepCares could you help with both that and the TSB for the steering?

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
Does anybody know if there's been a TSB issued on this? I'm having the same problem, bought mine in November and it started leaking last week. Did a preliminary search for a TSB and was skunked.

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody know if there's been a TSB issued on this? I'm having the same problem, bought mine in November and it started leaking last week. Did a preliminary search for a TSB and was skunked.
I have not seen a TSB on the issue. Larger volume dealerships are fully aware of the issue though. My dealership told me the problem is related to the window frame cracking. This cracking allows water to leak at the top of the window and behind the black inside plastic trim covers. They said the new replacement is designed differently. Mine has been at the shop for two days waiting for replacement.

Edit: Dealer told me today it's actually the rubber seal where the crack or split is occurring. Seal is affixed to the frame and therefore they just replace the whole back window.

Last edited:

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
I have not seen a TSB on the issue. Larger volume dealerships are fully aware of the issue though. My dealership told me the problem is related to the window frame cracking. This cracking allows water to leak at the top of the window and behind the black inside plastic trim covers. They said the new replacement is designed differently. Mine has been at the shop for two days waiting for replacement.
Good info, thanks. I'm going in for shoulder surgery Friday so I'm dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow for a few other things, they can keep it for three weeks for all I care!

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
2 days at the dealership and rear window has been replaced. Dealer changed the story on the issue slightly. The issue is supposedly a rubber seal where the crack or split is occurring. It's affixed to the frame and therefore FCA just replace the whole back window. Dealership said they have done half a dozen recently. It's been raining all evening here and no leaks so far with the new window.

I have to say, FCA/dealership has really been stepping up addressing the few issues I've had. As someone who has owned Jeeps from AMC, through Chrysler, through Daimler/Chrysler, through FCA, the responsiveness and service has been better than ever before. Keep up the good work Jeep!
Sponsored