• Total voters

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I’m looking at ways to expand storage for a road trip later this year and exploring roof racks and cargo carriers. I feel like I’ve identified the pros and cons of each, but I’d be curious to hear what y’all are doing and why.

Here’s what I think are the pros and cons of each. Seems like most of the pros of each are the cons of the other and vice versa. It may just be a matter of opinion and they aren’t mutually exclusive.

Roof rack:
Pros
can be left on permanently​
easy to wheel with it on​
doesn’t impede tailgate or back up camera​
some models offer mounts for lights​
Cons
relatively expensive​
difficult to access if bed is full​
may impede freedom panel removal​
raises center of gravity​
potential fuel economy hit​
relatively low weight capacity​
Hitch cargo carrier:
Pros
relatively inexpensive​
easy to reach stuff​
freedom panels can still be easily removed​
doesnt impact center of gravity​
minimal impact to fuel economy​
can be used easily on multiple vehicles​
high weight capacity​
Cons
impedes tailgate and back up camera​
kills departure angle while wheeling​
must have a place to store it when not in use​
makes vehicle longer​
Bed rack:
Pros
doesn’t impede roof or freedom panel removal​
Can be stored on vehicle​
higher potential weight capacity over roof rack​
minimal fuel economy if impact if mid height rack​
Cons
impedes rearview mirror​
expensive​
may be inconvenient to access​

FWIW, I do plan to do some wheeling, but I could remove a hitch cargo carrier if I go that route. Right now I’m leaning towards the hitch cargo carrier since it’s cheaper and won’t get used that often. Plus we will be loading and unloading a lot so having it all near the ground would be convenient.

The second option would be a DIY bed rack to keep costs low. But I’m still open to any option if someone can think of something I haven’t.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I've wheeled with my leitner rack and have had no issues whatsoever with COG. It has been super convenient and does not impede rear view mirror at all. The only time bed racks will is if you do a short or mid height. With a full height you dont have that issue.

However I am getting rid of my leitner rack as I am getting a GFC so i will not need it anymore. But leitner is the way I would go without fail.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Another con to hitch cargo carrying that occurred to me when I was researching a bike rack for two. It would add a $4000 carbon fiber bumper extension.

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I'll confuse things further and add the Softopper to the list. It doubled my dry storage vs a flat tonneau and it's in the middle of the options price-wise. Before I had the softopper I bought a cargo hitch carrier with a waterproof bag. We were traveling to the in-laws for Christmas so we had all of our stuff, plus kid, dogs, and all of the crap that goes with them. In most cases (even camping) I unload most of the items when I arrive so a folding hitch carrier works really well. It's also nice for coolers and beach stuff that you don't necessarily want in the vehicle. I don't think there's a 'right' answer and my solution seems to be constantly evolving. I love the softopper, and my long term plan is to build a rack over it so I'll have additional storage up there. In the meantime I still have the cargo rack. I'm coming from a full size so I'm used to being able to pack heavy and bring whatever I want with me.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Another couple of cons to a roof rack is potential wind noise and reduced headroom (if you need to access any underground parkades).

What are you carrying with you that you need the extra storage space? If it is really just for this one road trip, what about a cargo net?

If you are looking for a more permanent solution, have you considered a bed cap? They are more secure, weather and dust-resistant than an open bed/rack. @Longleaf's suggestion of a Softopper is a good one as well.

Sponsored

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I like a hard cover with mounts for bikes and cargo, drawer system and bed rack. The bed is a lot more useful than an open 5x5foot box. I made mine and was given the Chinese bed rack. I took off fender flares and rail caps on the bed and uses existing holes in bed rail to mount the rack. I also cut the rack down so that it didn’t stick up so high and matched the height of my hard top mounted single Yakima bar and faring. I have about $200 in this set up $180 was for The textured deck paint and plywood for the hard bed cover.

I already owned the Yakima racks from 20+ years of road and mountain biking.

I hate hitch racks, I have an expensive Yakima one, as my expensive bikes sit back there ready for any idiot on the phone to bump into at a stop.

1st pick is bed side mount for bikes. I liked second set up better as bikes are protected better.

Jeep Gladiator Roof rack vs bed rack vs hitch cargo carrier 0FB14E95-A0C3-4DBC-B9C2-D67F15D7A714

Jeep Gladiator Roof rack vs bed rack vs hitch cargo carrier C0153F9A-B29B-4FCC-A64F-11084F88ED46

Jeep Gladiator Roof rack vs bed rack vs hitch cargo carrier FEA188DE-2418-4FA0-AF94-7E9A6A920E11

Jeep Gladiator Roof rack vs bed rack vs hitch cargo carrier D2734A8C-F9A0-4BE0-B8CA-9281671ABFBC

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I like the soft open concept since I could have a raised cover and yet still easily remove the top. Plus it’s mostly a one~and-done solution. It’s pretty pricey, but then so are many of these other options.

Adventure Rack Systems

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
ARS
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.adventureracksystems.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Manufacturer
I’m looking at ways to expand storage for a road trip later this year and exploring roof racks and cargo carriers. I feel like I’ve identified the pros and cons of each, but I’d be curious to hear what y’all are doing and why.

Here’s what I think are the pros and cons of each. Seems like most of the pros of each are the cons of the other and vice versa. It may just be a matter of opinion and they aren’t mutually exclusive.

Roof rack:
Pros
can be left on permanently​
easy to wheel with it on​
doesn’t impede tailgate or back up camera​
some models offer mounts for lights​
Cons
relatively expensive​
difficult to access if bed is full​
may impede freedom panel removal​
potential fuel economy hit​
relatively low weight capacity​
Hitch cargo carrier:
Pros
relatively inexpensive​
easy to reach stuff​
freedom panels can still be easily removed​
doesnt impact center of gravity​
minimal impact to fuel economy​
can be used easily on multiple vehicles​
high weight capacity​
Cons
impedes tailgate and back up camera​
kills departure angle while wheeling​
must have a place to store it when not in use​
makes vehicle longer​
Bed rack:
Pros
doesn’t impede roof or freedom panel removal​
Can be stored on vehicle​
higher potential weight capacity over roof rack​
minimal fuel economy if impact if mid height rack​
Cons
impedes rearview mirror​
expensive​
may be inconvenient to access​

FWIW, I do plan to do some wheeling, but I could remove a hitch cargo carrier if I go that route. Right now I’m leaning towards the hitch cargo carrier since it’s cheaper and won’t get used that often. Plus we will be loading and unloading a lot so having it all near the ground would be convenient.

The second option would be a DIY bed rack to keep costs low. But I’m still open to any option if someone can think of something I haven’t.

Thoughts?
One other consideration would be systems that utilize the space over the cab. We just rolled ours out last month (the ARS "OverCab" system). It allows you to mount a RTT up top and still keep the bed free... or just use it for construction, kayaks and longer items (since the Gladiator beds aren't very long).

JT the shop.jpg

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I ended my with the TuwaPro rack. It's height adjustable. Below, at or above cab. Holds I believe 600lbs static. No impediment on the rearview mirrow. No noticable extra wind noise. Can be taken off and on. Love it so far.
They are also a sponsor oh here. May be offering a forum discount.
Jeep Gladiator Roof rack vs bed rack vs hitch cargo carrier IMG_20211121_144552395_HDR
Sponsored