Sponsored

Roof Top Tent. Should I or Shouldn't I...

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks Joe! you addressed everything there I could have hoped for. Exactly the information I needed to hear and see.

All in, happy with the rack you settled on?
Very happy - its very strong and well made, and for the money I feel like you get a lot included.

The only small downside was the need for the crossbars to give that extra inch of clearance. If you kept the tent further back then they might not be necessary, but I'm very OCD with that stuff and wanted the back of the tent to line up with the end of the tailgate.

I ultimately plan to move to a topper (RSI Smart Canopy) but will be using this rack until that is available in the US.

jncomatrix

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR LE Black, 1996 XJ 4.0 5.5" long arm, 2003 Matrix XRS,
Occupation
Commercial Vehicle Director
Just got my explorer Kukenam 3 on. This is my first roof top tent and can't wait to get it out to use it. Can't figure what side is best to open up on or to. For now it's open to the rear.
Jeep Gladiator Roof Top Tent. Should I or Shouldn't I... IMG_20200527_214505

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
The Condor is fantastic. However if you go with the XL it would have to stick out a bit in the back. I am running the standar size condor and it works nice. It's as stream line as you will get it with Roofnest.
I’ve been going back and forth on the Condor vs Sparrow....love the size of condor (both open and closed)- what I keep settling on is the ultra convenience of the sparrow opening (I realize it’s almost moot between the two) and the solid roof. My part of Alaska can be almost nonstop rain in the summer at times...the non fabric roof seems the wiser choice. But love that compact look.....
Decisions, decisions

Sponsored

gsxr310

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR & JTR
Yep, those are the crossbars! Soon I'll be getting some end caps with tie down loops on them to cap the ends of the crossbars, the raw ends are a little sharp.

It was a little difficult to load for my wife and I since she's a little shorter - we ended up getting our neighbor to help. I had a Cherokee Trailhawk prior to the Gladiator, and it could fit in our garage with the tent on top so we could use our pulley system to raise and lower the tent onto the roof...needless to say, the Gladiator is too tall with the tent so we are working on some ideas to make loading and unloading it easier.

One additional comment, when driving around with the tent loaded I don't even notice its on there. The Cherokee ways felt a little weighed down and there was lots of flexing and you could really feel the wind resistance. With the Gladiator I wouldn't have even known a tent was on there if I hadn't fought with it and muscled it up there, haha.

Anyways, here are some more photos!

Jeep Gladiator Roof Top Tent. Should I or Shouldn't I... 20200307_130049
What crossbars are those and how did you mount em to the Rebel rack? I need to do the same w my ikamper

Tmorgan319

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator R
I’ve been going back and forth on the Condor vs Sparrow....love the size of condor (both open and closed)- what I keep settling on is the ultra convenience of the sparrow opening (I realize it’s almost moot between the two) and the solid roof. My part of Alaska can be almost nonstop rain in the summer at times...the non fabric roof seems the wiser choice. But love that compact look.....
Decisions, decisions
Totally. I will say that putting the condor down is easy and you can really get the hang of it the more you do it. Getting it set up is just as easy as the sparrow in my opinion.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
What crossbars are those and how did you mount em to the Rebel rack? I need to do the same w my ikamper
They were made by a company that makes roofracks (primarily for 4runners) here in Colorado called Sherpa Equipment. I saw that they used generally what I was looking for on their racks and reached out to see if they'd be willing to sell me just some crossbars at a custom length. Paid 200 for 4 of them.

They are M8 slotted I believe and are attached to the rack with bolts and washers. I also have them making feet for them so that when I switch to the RSI topper, I can use them on there too.

They're also making me end caps that can be bolted on that have tie down points on them to protect from the sharp edges of the aluminum and add some nice functionality.

narcoteca

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTJS98 2021
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Narquitecto

Sponsored

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That's an awesome set up. I agree about the price. 3-4k (for IKamper or RoofNest) is a big pill to swallow without knowing if my family will love it.

I have questions-- you being from here is also very helpful.

Have you had two adults and some kids in the tent? Comfortably?

My other worry is - are there enough places to use it around New England. We usually camp at Nickerson (which we love) but I would really love to be able to drive into some more secluded spots.

Anyway thanks for the help. I'm off to check out the ROAM.
There are a lot of full time overlanders on YouTube that offer up routes and GPS coordinates for some more remote spots...but only if you subscribe to their channel, but that is an option. There is one guy (adventure 4wd) that drives an orange JK that has good content and has gone through NE US, eastern Canada, most of NW US, etc.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Jeep Gladiator Roof Top Tent. Should I or Shouldn't I... 20200629_182339 Jeep Gladiator Roof Top Tent. Should I or Shouldn't I... 20200629_182339
The Condor is fantastic. However if you go with the XL it would have to stick out a bit in the back. I am running the standar size condor and it works nice. It's as stream line as you will get it with Roofnest.
@Tmorgan319, I like the look of your setup. The size of the Condor standard looks almost like the same size as the bed. Do you have and straight side and rear
photos open and closed? How many does it sleep?

Browning

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
State Farm Agent
CVT Mt. Shasta on a Yakima rack. I've been a hammock guy for several years but when I can use my RTT it is always welcomed!

bere.jpg

JWest

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, JLUR Bikini Pearl, JLUR Granite Crystal, JKU Golden Eagle
I went through the same conundrum and ultimately decided on a soft tent due to price. We went with the ROAM with an annex(with nowhere to go). We are a family of 6 but my oldest will be in college next year so she'll be left out. :)

I'm also in Mass(Pembroke), my plan is to do some beach camping near the cape and head out to the mountains. Planning a trip to Rausch Creek in June but may have to delay it a bit. Nice Gladiator, good to see more on the roads. Maybe ;-)

I debated on the Roofnest condor(w/annex) but can't justify the cost. The one that @Torro-Offroad offers seem perfect, but I had already purchased my tent.

Jeep Gladiator Roof Top Tent. Should I or Shouldn't I... bere

Looks great. What’s the heig of your bed rack?
Sponsored