Sponsored

RSI SmartCap with CVT Mt Hood RTT

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
I haven’t seen this combo on a Gladiator. Today the Mt Hood (double channel) was delivered, I didn’t waste anytime getting it mounted to the RSI. I used some 1”x2” aluminum extrusion to mount it as low as possible, I’m trying to stay under 7’. There is some flex to the extrusion that may let the RTT tap the hardtop, so I’ve order a couple more to distribute the weight. But for my planned use I don’t think I’ll have any problems. Overall I’m very happy with it.

C61098AD-DB19-4E54-8E0C-3F93D27A079A.jpeg

8B95908D-D06A-4373-99F1-0A4F8D3F479F.jpeg
Sponsored

HjStrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
This is my end goal is an RSI Smartcap with a low profile wedge RTT like that. Such a sleek look and so much room for storage under that cap. Awesome set up.

If I didn’t also need to daily my Gladiator and need the bed the Alucab topper/tent is the same look but more dedicated camper shell.

OP
OP
LaRock

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Alu-Cab Canopy Camper is sweet, but a little much for my puproses. I have a deposit with Go Fast Campers, after reading of and thinking if I can live with the hit to MPGs (this is my daily) I decided to keep it more modular. On paper (pros/cons) I should have gone with the iKamper Skycamp Mini, I just don’t like the look. When CVT dropped a 20% off promo last week I pulled the trigger. Next month we Will put it through its paces on a trip up to Idaho/Wyoming.

AverageDad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
VP of Operations
The Alu-Cab Canopy Camper is sweet, but a little much for my puproses. I have a deposit with Go Fast Campers, after reading of and thinking if I can live with the hit to MPGs (this is my daily) I decided to keep it more modular. On paper (pros/cons) I should have gone with the iKamper Skycamp Mini, I just don’t like the look. When CVT dropped a 20% off promo last week I pulled the trigger. Next month we Will put it through its paces on a trip up to Idaho/Wyoming.
Where did you find this 20% off CVT coupon?
and how is the wedge design for space?
I was considering the CVT Pioneer, but I do prefer the hard shell, low profile design.

OP
OP
LaRock

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did you find this 20% off CVT coupon?
and how is the wedge design for space?
I was considering the CVT Pioneer, but I do prefer the hard shell, low profile design.
They tossed the promo code up on instagram last Friday (I think I read it was good through the end of July). I had issues with the promo code not being recognized on their website so I called and ordered over the phone (which gave me a better deal on shipping too vs the website). The Mt Hood double channel is 2” taller, the ladder and some thin bedding fits inside when closed. I’ve had a Tepui in the past and got sick of unfolding/folding, and I’ve been spoiled with how quick the Ursa Minor J30 Camper I have on my Wrangler deploys/packs. The clam shell design of the Mt Hood works almost as well, I’m happy with my choice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LaRock

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CVT just dropped another 20% off promo code starting August 29th on Instagram.

OP
OP
LaRock

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator RSI SmartCap with CVT Mt Hood RTT IMG_5267

She did great on the nearly 3000 mile trip, visiting family in Idaho, camping in Grand Tetons and day trip to Yellowstone in Wyoming, and camping at Bryce Canyon in Utah. She was comfortable both on the road and in camp. No complaints, but may add some airbags to the rear.

We saw and parked next to my gladiator's doppelganger in Grand Tetons.
Jeep Gladiator RSI SmartCap with CVT Mt Hood RTT IMG_5482.JPEG

Today I sold the Go Fast Camper spot I placed a deposit on back in May, no regrets.

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
That setup looks great. You mention you still use the rig as a daily driver. Do you take off the RTT and cap when not on a journey?

OP
OP
LaRock

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That setup looks great. You mention you still use the rig as a daily driver. Do you take off the RTT and cap when not on a journey?
I remove the RTT when not traveling, mostly so I can fit in the parking garage at work.

MikeInMo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 05 LJ Rubi

She did great on the nearly 3000 mile trip, visiting family in Idaho, camping in Grand Tetons and day trip to Yellowstone in Wyoming, and camping at Bryce Canyon in Utah. She was comfortable both on the road and in camp. No complaints, but may add some airbags to the rear.

We saw and parked next to my gladiator's doppelganger in Grand Tetons.

Today I sold the Go Fast Camper spot I placed a deposit on back in May, no regrets.
This is the type of low profile set up I want to go with and have a couple questions for you.

I have an RSI cap. Can you show or tell more about the extrusion you used to mount the RTT and how you did it?

What width tent did you go with, and which awning is this?

Sponsored

OP
OP
LaRock

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the type of low profile set up I want to go with and have a couple questions for you.

I have an RSI cap. Can you show or tell more about the extrusion you used to mount the RTT and how you did it?

What width tent did you go with, and which awning is this?
I don't currently have the tent mounted but let's see what I can piece together for you.

Originally I wanted to go with a Front Runner rack, just for the ease of buy it, mount it, be done. Unfortunately at the time I needed it I couldn't find it in stock. So I borrowed ideas from the thread "Lowest Profile Rack for RSI Evo Cap" and followed what user 18PSI did to mounted his tent.

I first ordered extrusion and hardware for two "cross bars" laying flat (1" tall), but found the bars flexed enough to allow the tent to make contact with the hard top. I thought maybe adding two more bars would help so I ordered/installed two more, but it still flexed too much. I then mounted all the bars on end (2" tall), which made for a very stable platform to mount the tent too. Two on end might have worked fine.

The components I bought from tnutz.com;

4 - 1" x 2" BLACK Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion 49" Length
8 - 10 SERIES - BLACK PLASTIC END CAP W/PUSH-IN(S) – BLANK - 1'' x 2"
16 - 10 Series 2 Hole Inside Corner Brackets
16 - M6 x 12mm Button Head Screw & Standard T-Nut
16 - Metric Button Head Socket Cap Screw Thread Size: M8 x 1.25 Length: 16mm

and I already had 16 A2 Stainless Steel Square Weld Nuts DIN 928 M8 I bought from Amazon, I have since found these at my local Ace Hardware.

I had to drill out one side of the corner bracket to fit the M8 button head bolt
(yes, I wish I bought hardware that didn't rust to quickly and may change that in the future)
Jeep Gladiator RSI SmartCap with CVT Mt Hood RTT IMG_5624.JPEG

M8 Square Weld Nuts, I already had these for mounting a Yakima Rack previous.
Jeep Gladiator RSI SmartCap with CVT Mt Hood RTT IMG_5625.JPEG

The bars are mounted approximately 13.5" apart and provide a platform of approximately 43" x 49"
Jeep Gladiator RSI SmartCap with CVT Mt Hood RTT IMG_5626.JPEG

I used the CVT Hardware to mount to the front-most and rear-most bars. I have the tent positioned with about 13" overhang from the rear of the tent to the rear-most bar. Oh and the tent is the 50" CVT Mt Hood.
Jeep Gladiator RSI SmartCap with CVT Mt Hood RTT IMG_5230

I hope that's clear enough, I am still happy with the set up.

Last edited:

MikeInMo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 05 LJ Rubi
I don't currently have the tent mounted but let's see what I can piece together for you.

Originally I wanted to go with a Front Runner rack, just for the ease of buy it, mount it, be done. Unfortunately at the time I needed it I couldn't find it in stock. So I borrowed ideas from the thread "Lowest Profile Rack for RSI Evo Cap" and followed what user 18PSI did to mounted his tent.

I first ordered extrusion and hardware for two "cross bars" laying flat (1" tall), but found the bars flexed enough to allow the tent to make contact with the hard top. I thought maybe adding two more bars would help so I ordered/installed two more, but it still flexed too much. I then mounted all the bars on end (2" tall), which made for a very stable platform to mount the tent too. Two on end might have worked fine.

The components I bought from tnutz.com;

4 - 1" x 2" BLACK Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion 49" Length
8 - 10 SERIES - BLACK PLASTIC END CAP W/PUSH-IN(S) – BLANK - 1'' x 2"
16 - 10 Series 2 Hole Inside Corner Brackets
16 - M6 x 12mm Button Head Screw & Standard T-Nut
16 - Metric Button Head Socket Cap Screw Thread Size: M8 x 1.25 Length: 16mm

and I already had 16 A2 Stainless Steel Square Weld Nuts DIN 928 M8 I bought from Amazon, I have since found these at my local Ace Hardware.

I had to drill out one side of the corner bracket to fit the M8 button head bolt
(yes, I wish I bought hardware that didn't rust to quickly and may change that in the future)

M8 Square Weld Nuts, I already had these for mounting a Yakima Rack previous.

The bars are mounted approximately 13.5" apart and provide a platform of approximately 43" x 49"

I used the CVT Hardware to mount to the front-most and rear-most bars. I have the tent positioned with about 13" overhang from the rear of the tent to the rear-most bar. Oh and the tent is the 50" CVT Mt Hood.

I hope that's clear enough, I am still happy with the set up.
That is exactly what I was wanting to know. I'm guessing a similar set up would work with other tents as well. Thank you! :like:

Nigelcorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willy's Ecodiesel
I had a similar setup with my Tacoma that I just traded for the JT. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do for a tent on this rig.

What did you notice for mpg with the addition of the shell and tent?

OP
OP
LaRock

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did you notice for mpg with the addition of the shell and tent?
The SmartCap didn’t make any change, the CVT caused about 1 mpg drop.

I track my fuel economy with every fill up. Stock she averaged 21 MPG, tossed 33” tires on and it dropped to mid 19 MPG, SmartCap made no difference, load up the CVT and MPG drops to mid 18.

Last edited: