TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Over the past month, there have been several concerns brought up on this forum. We are posting today to provide insight into each of these issues. It is important to note (but it should also go without saying), while we are trying to deliver as close to perfect a product and service offering as we can, we are human at the end of the day, and we don't always get it right straight out of the gate. We listen closely to our customers, their concerns, and their experience with the product, and we are reacting to improve.

Let us start with the things that are somewhat in our control—the shipping damage some of you have experienced. As this issue reared its ugly head, we immediately looked at how the panels were packaged in South Africa and began reinforcing the box edges. We are now wrapping the entire perimeter of the packaging with a wooded edge for the new products coming off the South Africa manufacturing line. For products that exist in the Keystone warehouses, we are in the process of reinforcing the outer corners of the box. These steps should result in a reduction of shipping damage. Should someone end up with a damaged roof panel, please contact us at [email protected], and we will work to take care of the problem.

Regarding the rear door clearance issues, we did not become aware of this until installation began of the production models on your trucks. We tried to react as fast as we could to bring about a solution (I think it took us around five days to respond). We tested this on beds in South Africa, came up with a solution, then tried it on our Gladiator in the states before providing feedback to solve the problem. We are currently shipping pads from South Africa to our support department. We felt it was in your best interest to encourage you to get materials from a local hardware store so that you could get your caps installed right away on your trucks. We know that this has been an inconvenience and are both sorry you had to endure this and appreciate your time to implement the solution.

Finally, regarding the shipping delay issues, in every instance, we have communicated updates on the forum, or when Keystone has communicated with the dealers you have purchased your caps from, we have provided the information we had available at that time. People get frustrated when companies declare that COVID is wreaking havoc on their supply chain and shipping schedules as though it were a made-up excuse. Still, it is the culprit, affecting most manufacturers on the planet—not just SmartCap.

Some have been harshly critical of Keystone and our decision to go with them as our distributor. We chose them for excellent reasons, and while no company is perfect, we couldn't be happier with our decision. They are the largest and one of the most respected automotive distributors in North America, and for very good reason. They are reliable, flexible, and adept at global supply chain logistics. Yes, we have encountered issues such as the initial "first in, first out" fulfillment of orders. Their systems were not originally setup to work with a manufacturer’s product line that required backorders to go for more than 60 days. This caused an issue with First In First Out orders falling out of order. However, as soon as we became aware of it, they immediately implemented changes to fix the problem. We have been faced with unprecedented demand for a new product during unprecedented times and with Keystone are doing everything we can to meet consumer expectations as quickly as possible.

With all of this said, we completely understand your frustration and your concerns, and they are in no way falling on deaf ears. We appreciate the feedback you provide on this forum and would only ask that you hang in there. Please know, we are doing everything we can to improve and deliver a premium product and service.
I just want to reiterate by saying that I personally was very happy with the entire process. I know not everyone was. Perhaps I was lucky. Either way, I think that you put out an incredibly high-quality product.

For those reading through this thread: Take note of the fact that RSI is even bothering to respond to customers (many of whom they already have money in the bank from, I may add) on this forum. I've been on a variety of forums for quite a long time, and I can honestly say that I've never seen a new-ish company, providing a new product, particularly during a time like this, that has been as communicative as RSI. They may not have all of the answers at the time of request (they did for me personally, but I have seen that they haven't for others) but it can't be denied that they have continuously worked towards improving the process as a whole.

I'm not trying to fanboy, or whatever you want to call it--I just know a great product and solid customer service when I see it. I consider myself pretty objective when it comes to reviewing products and processes. Despite some hiccups (in the grand scheme) early on, I think that RSI will continue refining the process moving forward, and that they'll continue to provide a stellar product for the community.

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
Over the past month, there have been several concerns brought up on this forum. We are posting today to provide insight into each of these issues. It is important to note (but it should also go without saying), while we are trying to deliver as close to perfect a product and service offering as we can, we are human at the end of the day, and we don't always get it right straight out of the gate. We listen closely to our customers, their concerns, and their experience with the product, and we are reacting to improve.

Let us start with the things that are somewhat in our control—the shipping damage some of you have experienced. As this issue reared its ugly head, we immediately looked at how the panels were packaged in South Africa and began reinforcing the box edges. We are now wrapping the entire perimeter of the packaging with a wooded edge for the new products coming off the South Africa manufacturing line. For products that exist in the Keystone warehouses, we are in the process of reinforcing the outer corners of the box. These steps should result in a reduction of shipping damage. Should someone end up with a damaged roof panel, please contact us at [email protected], and we will work to take care of the problem.

Regarding the rear door clearance issues, we did not become aware of this until installation began of the production models on your trucks. We tried to react as fast as we could to bring about a solution (I think it took us around five days to respond). We tested this on beds in South Africa, came up with a solution, then tried it on our Gladiator in the states before providing feedback to solve the problem. We are currently shipping pads from South Africa to our support department. We felt it was in your best interest to encourage you to get materials from a local hardware store so that you could get your caps installed right away on your trucks. We know that this has been an inconvenience and are both sorry you had to endure this and appreciate your time to implement the solution.

Finally, regarding the shipping delay issues, in every instance, we have communicated updates on the forum, or when Keystone has communicated with the dealers you have purchased your caps from, we have provided the information we had available at that time. People get frustrated when companies declare that COVID is wreaking havoc on their supply chain and shipping schedules as though it were a made-up excuse. Still, it is the culprit, affecting most manufacturers on the planet—not just SmartCap.

Some have been harshly critical of Keystone and our decision to go with them as our distributor. We chose them for excellent reasons, and while no company is perfect, we couldn't be happier with our decision. They are the largest and one of the most respected automotive distributors in North America, and for very good reason. They are reliable, flexible, and adept at global supply chain logistics. Yes, we have encountered issues such as the initial "first in, first out" fulfillment of orders. Their systems were not originally setup to work with a manufacturer’s product line that required backorders to go for more than 60 days. This caused an issue with First In First Out orders falling out of order. However, as soon as we became aware of it, they immediately implemented changes to fix the problem. We have been faced with unprecedented demand for a new product during unprecedented times and with Keystone are doing everything we can to meet consumer expectations as quickly as possible.

With all of this said, we completely understand your frustration and your concerns, and they are in no way falling on deaf ears. We appreciate the feedback you provide on this forum and would only ask that you hang in there. Please know, we are doing everything we can to improve and deliver a premium product and service.
I have been very satisfied. My cap came a little roughed up and there is a small ding, but I guarantee, I will likely do worse. My only complaint, I really wish my RSI roof rack and bin had shown up with the cap. I now have to go camping next week and sleep in the bed. Which isn't a huge deal but will likely be not overly comfortable.

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
I just want to reiterate by saying that I personally was very happy with the entire process. I know not everyone was. Perhaps I was lucky. Either way, I think that you put out an incredibly high-quality product.

For those reading through this thread: Take note of the fact that RSI is even bothering to respond to customers (many of whom they already have money in the bank from, I may add) on this forum. I've been on a variety of forums for quite a long time, and I can honestly say that I've never seen a new-ish company, providing a new product, particularly during a time like this, that has been as communicative as RSI. They may not have all of the answers at the time of request (they did for me personally, but I have seen that they haven't for others) but it can't be denied that they have continuously worked towards improving the process as a whole.

I'm not trying to fanboy, or whatever you want to call it--I just know a great product and solid customer service when I see it. I consider myself pretty objective when it comes to reviewing products and processes. Despite some hiccups (in the grand scheme) early on, I think that RSI will continue refining the process moving forward, and that they'll continue to provide a stellar product for the community.
Thank you for those kind words and your support! It truly means the world to us. Hope you, yours, and the rest of those participating in this forum have an incredible holiday.

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
@RSI North America Inc my cap is coming next week, I’m guessing it was not from the initial container. Does this mean that it will have the proper weatherstripping to make it fit and close correctly or will I need to figure out how to make it work on my own like dozens of others? If so are you shipping the proper parts to people yet in order to remedy this? What if the door weatherstrip is damaged before this is remedied? Will you be replacing them at no cost?

I’m not terribly excited about having to figure out how to make my premium cap ($$$) fit correctly by hunting down parts that few have been successful with and throwing more money at it to do so.

I was hours from cancelling my order when I got the email that it had shipped, now I’d like to be fully informed of what to expect before I accept delivery. Are these “modular” panels being shipped to reps yet in order to replace damaged ones in shipping? I will be refusing it if there is any obvious damage at all as I will not be dealing with a body shop, only a new panel is acceptable in my opinion.

Sponsored

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Stingray Gray
Occupation
Sales
People really need to chill on the HATE!

The rubber pad issue IS NOT HARD TO FIX!!! I assume RSI probably shipped a few extra pads in every shipment, I got (1) extra 1/8" and (2) extra 3/8" and it seems I got mine from the first shipment. Take the extra 1/8" pad, cut in half and glue it to each of the rear 3/8" pads for the rear locations and BOOM, all done. Heaven Forbid if you did not get any extra pads or want to add more because you would like a different fitment (I ended up adding (2) 1/8" to each rear location for a total of 5/8"), go to your local hardware store and ask where they keep the rubber gasket material, probably the plumbing section... and buy some cut to fit material for less than five bucks... https://www.acehardware.com/departm...aucet-repair/faucet-and-valve-packing/4784153

I would be very surprised if every new top that has ever been developed didn't have the same fitment issues and troubleshooting upon launch.

Shipping damage sucks, and proper packaging can certainly prevent it. Seems like RSI is doing everything they can to prevent further damage. As we all know they are not the only ones to blame, I watched R&L push a $160K crated compressor off a 1 foot ledge on a pallet jack just this week. I certainly didn't call Sauer in Germany and bitch at them because the frame was bent and the intercoolers were wrecked!

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
The frustration on the pads is warranted. So far RSI has acknowledged a problem and not really done anything to resolve it other than telling customers how they can pay to fix it themselves. My cap was installed by a dealer, so I have no extra pads or anything. That means I either have to schedule more time with the dealer and complain about the problem to them or go out during Christmas shopping season and get the 'rona looking for the parts I need. I am THRILLED with my cap, but that doesn't mean RSI shouldn't own a mistake when they made one. Won't stop me from buying from them in the future either, but if you really want to instill confidence in a new and expensive product, you don't tell people to fix it themselves.

After playing with my tailgate a little, I do have some clearance issues, so I'm having to avoid using it until I can get to it. Nobody buys a new product expecting to be unable to use it for fear of damaging it. Complaining to a manufacturer in that situation is not hate.

gmc1000_1965

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
The frustration on the pads is warranted. So far RSI has acknowledged a problem and not really done anything to resolve it other than telling customers how they can pay to fix it themselves. My cap was installed by a dealer, so I have no extra pads or anything. That means I either have to schedule more time with the dealer and complain about the problem to them or go out during Christmas shopping season and get the 'rona looking for the parts I need. I am THRILLED with my cap, but that doesn't mean RSI shouldn't own a mistake when they made one. Won't stop me from buying from them in the future either, but if you really want to instill confidence in a new and expensive product, you don't tell people to fix it themselves.

After playing with my tailgate a little, I do have some clearance issues, so I'm having to avoid using it until I can get to it. Nobody buys a new product expecting to be unable to use it for fear of damaging it. Complaining to a manufacturer in that situation is not hate.
My thoughts exactly after paying so much. At least a small refund would suffice.

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
and buy some cut to fit material for less than five bucks...
Yep. Even in AK it cost me almost $6.75 to fix. I appreciate RSI admitting an issue, finding the fix quickly, any giving us a quick (and reasonable) solve while they correct it in the pipeline. I wish more companies could be that forthcoming. Thanks RSI and Merry Christmas.

Sponsored

sgumedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Almost perfect. 5/8” on the rear pads. Works beautifully. No damage. Unfortunately it looks like the distributor sent the wrong full bin likely for another model. So now I will be waiting to get that sorted out. I’m really hoping that’s an item in stock in the US and doesn’t have to come from South Africa!

13FA8D30-DB67-4DD8-A0AA-4D95090D981A.jpeg

4083F786-04EC-4BD3-AC87-26F9E16AFD04.jpeg

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
Almost perfect. 5/8” on the rear pads. Works beautifully. No damage. Unfortunately it looks like the distributor sent the wrong full bin likely for another model. So now I will be waiting to get that sorted out. I’m really hoping that’s an item in stock in the US and doesn’t have to come from South Africa!

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 4083F786-04EC-4BD3-AC87-26F9E16AFD04

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 4083F786-04EC-4BD3-AC87-26F9E16AFD04
My bin and RSI rack were delayed until Jan. They might be on the same boat.

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...

13FA8D30-DB67-4DD8-A0AA-4D95090D981A.jpeg

4083F786-04EC-4BD3-AC87-26F9E16AFD04.jpeg
Black on black. One of our favorite color combos!

Last edited:

EWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Question for RSI: I'm looking at options to mount a very low profile rooftop tent. Is there any reason why an aluminum base tent can't be semi-permanently mounted directly to the roof channels on the Smartcap? In other words, are load bars a necessity? It seems that if one can find a solution for the mounting (not a given), the load would be more evenly distributed if the aluminum base of the tend rested directly on the roof channels or nearly so with a small spacer for the vent. Thanks.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
When I was thinking RTT, I thought the same thing, the roof of the RSI is solid with braces and weight will be carried at more points on the roof then just the four points from the cross bars, and you can save the weight and height of load bars.
I think the problem might be the roof top tent needs bars under it in middle to support the weight. I was thinking Roofnest Falcon cause aluminum with attachment points and very low height like 6”. I think you need to talk to the RTT company you are thinking of using......Jack
Sponsored

Reactions: EWP