Sponsored

Rubicon Express 2" Economy Lift Advice

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Hi Guys,

I placed a factory order for a Stingray Rubicon Gladiator last Sat, super pumped and can't wait to get the truck. Hopefully with the whole COVID thing it won't take too long. Anyway, the point of my post is this: I want to install a 2" lift but there is no way I want to drop $1500 and rip out the Rubicon Fox shocks that are already installed. So, I am looking at doing a 2" spacer lift (front and rear) such as this one on Quadratec's site: https://www.quadratec.com/p/rubicon...it-jeep-gladiator-jt/shock-extensions-JT7134E . I would like to keep some rake to the truck.

The description states that I can re-sue the existing rear shocks using the supplied shock extensions. At the front end it includes 'swap bar drop brackets to correct any geometry changes'. Have any of you tried this kit? Quadratec claims that I would retain the factory ride quality while still gaining the 2" in height. Is this too good to be true?

If I owned an Overland I could see spending the money on the Mopar kit to get the improved Fox shocks. However, having already paid for the Rubicon trim I think something like this Quadratec spacer lift seems like a no brainer. Am I missing something? Also, for what it is worth I will use the truck for 4 wheeling but nothing too hardcore, and 90% of the miles will be commuting on the highway for work.

If anyone can shed some light on this topic I would greatly appreciate it. I've been creeping on this forum for weeks now and there seems to be a world of information. That said, it seems like everything I find lift related is almost always the Mopar 2" kit. Thanks in advance for your time.
Sponsored

CarajoCoño

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Occupation
Military
You basically took the thoughts out of my brain. I was trying to search to find an answer but the internet kicks my butt. hopefully someone will chime in and give some answers. I just want some spacers to clear bigger tires while still being able to do moderate wheeling while not paying for a bunch. I basically want someone to tell me what I need to do this cheaply and still retain at least factory ride quality/geometry and not lose offroadability.

OP
OP
DunnMan

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
You basically took the thoughts out of my brain. I was trying to search to find an answer but the internet kicks my butt. hopefully someone will chime in and give some answers. I just want some spacers to clear bigger tires while still being able to do moderate wheeling while not paying for a bunch. I basically want someone to tell me what I need to do this cheaply and still retain at least factory ride quality/geometry and not lose offroadability.
Yeah, not sure why no one has responded yet. When I got the notification that someone had replied to this thread I was jacked....then I saw it was you looking for the same answer lol.

Moriarty

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gobi gas, 2022 JT Willys Gobi gas
Hi Guys,

I placed a factory order for a Stingray Rubicon Gladiator last Sat, super pumped and can't wait to get the truck. Hopefully with the whole COVID thing it won't take too long. Anyway, the point of my post is this: I want to install a 2" lift but there is no way I want to drop $1500 and rip out the Rubicon Fox shocks that are already installed. So, I am looking at doing a 2" spacer lift (front and rear) such as this one on Quadratec's site: https://www.quadratec.com/p/rubicon...it-jeep-gladiator-jt/shock-extensions-JT7134E . I would like to keep some rake to the truck.

The description states that I can re-sue the existing rear shocks using the supplied shock extensions. At the front end it includes 'swap bar drop brackets to correct any geometry changes'. Have any of you tried this kit? Quadratec claims that I would retain the factory ride quality while still gaining the 2" in height. Is this too good to be true?

If I owned an Overland I could see spending the money on the Mopar kit to get the improved Fox shocks. However, having already paid for the Rubicon trim I think something like this Quadratec spacer lift seems like a no brainer. Am I missing something? Also, for what it is worth I will use the truck for 4 wheeling but nothing too hardcore, and 90% of the miles will be commuting on the highway for work.

If anyone can shed some light on this topic I would greatly appreciate it. I've been creeping on this forum for weeks now and there seems to be a world of information. That said, it seems like everything I find lift related is almost always the Mopar 2" kit. Thanks in advance for your time.
I recommend this one, https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/2-spacer-lift-gladiator/

I am using a Daystar 3/4" front & rear spacer kit and have no rubbing off Road with AEV Borah rims & Nitto 37" muds. We are waiting for "Overland HV" spring set lift to be available.

FB_IMG_1587948090994.jpg

Moriarty

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What tire size are you planning to run?

Sponsored

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
I would recommend a hybrid lift.

For the front end, I prefer a 2" coil spring lift.

For the rear, since it's already higher then the front, you can use a 3/4" spacer.

I can confirm the ride is very close to stock, although a bit more "wobble" in steering and a bit more "correction" over bumps, mostly because the tire are so much bigger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DunnMan

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
What tire size are you planning to run?
35", possibly 37". I know that both those would be fine with a 2" spacer lift on a Rubicon. Was more curious about why so many here are spending $1500 on the Mopar setup.

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Was more curious about why so many here are spending $1500 on the Mopar setup.
#1 It's a 4 wheel spring lift with caster correcting front control arms. Superior to spacers.
#2 Because it doesn't interfere with the warranty and because it's covered by warranty.
#3 It can be financed into the purchase of the vehicle.

Moriarty

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#1 It's a 4 wheel spring lift with caster correcting front control arms. Superior to spacers.
#2 Because it doesn't interfere with the warranty and because it's covered by warranty.
#3 It can be financed into the purchase of the vehicle.
Yes, all three are true. But #2 is a gray area, only if dealer installed and the lift for one year (Mopar parts warranty, one year).

Mopar lifts are great for flex but not for carrying weight (overloading/camping gear).

Moriarty

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
35", possibly 37". I know that both those would be fine with a 2" spacer lift on a Rubicon. Was more curious about why so many here are spending $1500 on the Mopar setup.
35" - you need no lift.
37" - don't have to lift, 2" recommended.

Do you intend to load it up for Overloading?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DunnMan

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
35" - you need no lift.
37" - don't have to lift, 2" recommended.

Do you intend to load it up for Overloading?
I know I don't need the lift for 35's, just think it looks better. I don't plan on carrying a camper or anything but definitely want to retain as much GVWR capability as possible.

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I love the cost of spacer lifts but when it comes to a full suspension lift I think I would rather pay more for the correct parts. I feel the Mopar lift is expensive for what you get but again, genuine Mopar parts. It would be nice if the controls arms were adjustable though.

CarajoCoño

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Occupation
Military
Yeah, not sure why no one has responded yet. When I got the notification that someone had replied to this thread I was jacked....then I saw it was you looking for the same answer lol.
I felt the same when I saw a reply and it was you

davetha

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeep.host
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Jeep JT
Build Thread
Link
Let me start with this. Its way better to get a decent spacer lift than a cheap full blown lift. The Rubicon factory suspension is pretty decent out of the box.

Most of those sub $1000 range full kits would probably be a downgrade..... (oh, those crappy bushings that fall apart!)

Make sure whatever you get has the spacers, bump stop extensions, new sway bar links, extended shock mounts.
One optional item are two front lower control arms. The castor is already not great on a Rubicon. Lifting will make the castor worst. Your jeep will want to wander a bit more on the road etc..

Find a good adjustable lower control arm like one of the new TeraFlex Alpine or Metal Cloak ones.

I'd totally recommend AEV too, but I hear they're only running on a few folks and something about their procal needing updates or something.

Moriarty

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me start with this. Its way better to get a decent spacer lift than a cheap full blown lift. The Rubicon factory suspension is pretty decent out of the box.

Most of those sub $1000 range full kits would probably be a downgrade..... (oh, those crappy bushings that fall apart!)

Make sure whatever you get has the spacers, bump stop extensions, new sway bar links, extended shock mounts.
One optional item are two front lower control arms. The castor is already not great on a Rubicon. Lifting will make the castor worst. Your jeep will want to wander a bit more on the road etc..

Find a good adjustable lower control arm like one of the new TeraFlex Alpine or Metal Cloak ones.

I'd totally recommend AEV too, but I hear they're only running on a few folks and something about their procal needing updates or something.
We have been using the AEV Procal from the day we picked it up in Idaho. We change from factory 33" to 37" Nitto muds for trail/overland runs all the time, no problems. Just to let y'all know. (Use the Procal twice a month minimum)

That said - if we ever get to the point when we need to disable FAD or electric PS, then we will purchase a Tazer programmer.
Sponsored