Sponsored

Rubicon to Sport S suspension swap

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Never did measure the difference when I swapped but definitely noticed it on stance and getting in and out.
I noticed it as well.. I have fairly short legs so the difference in how far I had to stretch was immediately noticeable. As was the angle the seat sat at. As soon as I put on tires I had to order steps too as it was beyond what I wanted to stretch every time. And 2 of the 3 girls in my house were also having problems getting in & out.
Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
The MaxTow rear springs are a different part from a stock Sport S rear spring, and adifferent part number. Plus, they are a Progressive style spring, that gets stiffer when loaded, to keep the truck level when the trailer tongue weight starts to exceed 300-400 lbs.
On up year Stock Sport S, a 400 lbs tongue drops the rear of my JT by 1.5-2 inches, a 1-inch drop, levels the truck, so the MaxTow spring should hold the 400-lbs trailer tongue weight, without the added 1-inch drop, keeping the truck level.
cheers

Ace310

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hey guys,
New to the forum but been reading different topics and posts for a while. Decided to join because I’m picking up my new Sport S this week. I know it’s been posted somewhere but just to clarify if I get shocks and springs from a rubicon I can put those on my sport S with the Daystar 1.5 level kit in the front and be good to go right? I don’t need anything extra? Do I still need the strut extension that comes with the kit with the fox shocks from the rubicon? Thanks guys and excited to join!

Sponsored

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
@Moparbrett how much would you guess it raises the front? Do you have a pic?
I've been told that Rubi springs in front, and a 3/4" spacer, will level out a max-tow....which is what I was trying to do. I'm a bit nervous about going with an 1 1/2" spacer since I've seen some on here have issues with the front coils "bowing" when they use that size spacer

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been told that Rubi springs in front, and a 3/4" spacer, will level out a max-tow....which is what I was trying to do. I'm a bit nervous about going with an 1 1/2" spacer since I've seen some on here have issues with the front coils "bowing" when they use that size spacer
I have a Max tow with Rubi Springs (front only) & 3/4" daystar front spacers... There was only about 1/2" of rake back to front. So yeah its basically leveled. 1.5" in the front & I think you would have some reverse rake & that would be no bueno.

Pghpp77

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport 2 door
I have a Max tow with Rubi Springs (front only) & 3/4" daystar front spacers... There was only about 1/2" of rake back to front. So yeah its basically leveled. 1.5" in the front & I think you would have some reverse rake & that would be no bueno.
Did you guys do the Rubicon springs and shocks swap to the Sport on your own or have someone do it for you? I’m looking for a video on how to do the swap but can’t find anything. How hard is it to swap the Rubicon and Sport springs? I know the shocks are easy but I’ve never changed springs.

Last edited:

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you guys do the Rubicon springs and shocks swap to the Sport on your own or have someone do it for you? I’m looking for a video on how to do the swap but can’t find anything. How hard is it to the Rubicon and Sport springs? I know the shocks are easy but I’ve never changed springs.
Me & my neighbor did it in my driveway. Took about 2 hours total. I never did an alignment after since it was a pretty minimal change, but you should probably have one done since its about 1.5" of overall height at the front if you use the spacers.

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase

Reverse rake = Carolina squat……...either way, a definite no Bueno ! LOL

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Reverse rake = Carolina squat……...either way, a definite no Bueno ! LOL
I've always called it the "Cali-Sag". And I agree. No bueno. It looks retarded.

Ace310

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Did you have to anything else like longer sway bar or control arms or is the .75 not enough to need that?

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have to anything else like longer sway bar or control arms or is the .75 not enough to need that?
Nope I didn’t do anything else.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I purchased a Rubicon take off suspension yesterday for my Overland (automatic with tow package). I put the Rubicon Fox shocks on stock overland springs on it yesterday. It's a pretty nice set up. It still rides great, but it controls the ride a lot better and eliminates the bounciness from the rear when you go over bumps. Overall, it feels a lot more solid and less floaty. I have the full rubicon take off suspension, and eventually, I'll probably put the Rubicon springs on it, but its a huge improvement for now. I don't need any lift on mine, I only have 33.5" A/Ts on mine. I'll probably just do it because I can and have the parts and 3/4-1" higher wouldn't be a bad thing.

Those shocks are super stiff and very hard to compress by hand, I'd highly recommend jacking your Jeep up and putting jack stands under the frame so the suspension will droop. I should have done that from the beginning. The back two kicked my butt doing it with the Jeep on the ground. The front was way easier to do when I did it the correct way. I couldn't get a jack under it to compress the shocks by hand and I had to manually compress them and needed a second set of hands to slide the bolt through while it was compressed. I was able to do the first one myself. My arms were too tired to do it on my own for the second rear shock. They are substantially stiffer than my stock Overland shocks, which is why the ride is way more controlled.

edit: I've thought about just doing the front Rubicon springs to take some of the rake out of it, but I'm not sure if it would upset the ride balance F/R if I only did the front springs. I don't want it to be stiffer up front than the rear. They don't offer max tow on the Overland, so its the regular tow package with the 6k lb tow rating.

Jack'D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It's a pretty nice set up. It still rides great, but it controls the ride a lot better and eliminates the bounciness from the rear when you go over bumps. Overall, it feels a lot more solid and less floaty. I have the full rubicon take off suspension, and eventually, I'll probably put the Rubicon springs on it, but its a huge improvement for now. I don't need any lift on mine, I only have 33.5" A/Ts on mine. I'll probably just do it because I can and have the parts and 3/4-1" higher wouldn't be a bad thing.
Couldn't agree more!
The stock Sport S suspension was soo bouncy it was killing my back. Those fox shocks are a huge upgrade!
Sponsored