Sponsored

Rubicon to Sport S suspension swap

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Scrolling through this thread I get that there are different shocks/springs based on the corner of the truck... do we have a definitive note on which goes where? I appear to have 449/450... those are front springs right? Larger number goes on the passenger side. Shocks don't appear to really be different front v back... how are you guys determining which part goes where?
I seem to remember the shocks being different front to rear, but not side to side
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, and there's a forward and backward to 'em too.

Length difference as seen here - these are from my Overland but the Fox Rubicon take-offs were also different lengths.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon to Sport S suspension swap 20200728_115640

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Thanks for confirming... so the front shocks (w/ the blue wrap on them) don't need that spacer? I'm sticking w/ my Max Tow rear, want to be sure I know wtf I'm putting where before I lift and start unbolding things.

I presumed every shock was different because the Falcon shocks say they're unique for every corner.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Thanks for confirming... so the front shocks (w/ the blue wrap on them) don't need that spacer? I'm sticking w/ my Max Tow rear, want to be sure I know wtf I'm putting where before I lift and start unbolding things.

I presumed every shock was different because the Falcon shocks say they're unique for every corner.
I did the install this morning for the front... I presumed the bigger springs were for the front, they weren't. I've got the front installed and torqued... started to do the rear but learned that my 18mm sockets weren't the right size for the rear shocks and had to get somewhere so just put the wheels back on and will deal with it later. I presume the torque spec will be the same... I think they're either 19mm or 20mm for the rear shocks.

Rear shocks have 21mm bolt/nuts top and bottom.

Last edited:

gerky18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I just completed the Rubicon to Sport S suspension swap. Took me about 6 hours but that was by myself and a few hiccups I will call them. Below are some pictures with the measurements. I gained about 1 inch in the front and 3/4 inch in the rear. The setup I got had all the pieces from the Rubicon. I checked part numbers and replaced those that were different. In the rear that was only the springs and shocks. The front was the springs, shocks, upper control arm, and lower control arm.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon to Sport S suspension swap Front Before

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon to Sport S suspension swap Front After

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon to Sport S suspension swap Rear Before

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon to Sport S suspension swap Rear After

Last edited:

Sponsored

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I just completed the Rubicon to Sport S suspension swap. Took me about 6 hours but that was by myself and a few hiccups I will call them. Below are some pictures with the measurements. I gained about 1 inch in the front and 3/4 inch in the rear. The setup I got had all the pieces from the Rubicon. I checked part numbers and replaced those that were different. In the rear that was only the springs and shocks. The front was the springs, shocks, upper control arm, and lower control arm.
My Rubicon springs and shocks just arrived and hope to have them installed in a few weeks. Two questions on your setup...
- Did you really need to swap the control arm? I thought you could do springs and shocks only and want to to make sure I have all the parts prior to taking it to the shops.
- For your front, did you have a spacer already? Your rake (roughly ~.5 to ~.75 inch) is my goal.

STL Gladiator

First Name
Horace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow - traded, 2021 JT Rubicon

View attachment 104922

View attachment 104923

Nice...This is good information for those that chose to go this direction and want to know the expected results ahead of time. What tires and size are you running?

gerky18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Rubicon springs and shocks just arrived and hope to have them installed in a few weeks. Two questions on your setup...
- Did you really need to swap the control arm? I thought you could do springs and shocks only and want to to make sure I have all the parts prior to taking it to the shops.
- For your front, did you have a spacer already? Your rake (roughly ~.5 to ~.75 inch) is my goal.
I swapped the control arms because the part numbers were different. Honestly, looking at them there is no difference in size or anything I can tell. However, since I had the complete set I switched them.

I have no spacers or anything above what came from the factory.

I am running Yokohama Geolander M/T 285/75R17 on stock JKU wheels. Rounghly 34 inches.

Jack'D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Interesting you got less in the back than the front..
When I did the swap I got 1&1/8th in the front and 1&1/4 in the back. Rubicon to SportS swap (non-maxtow)

gerky18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I did the swap I got 1&1/8th in the front and 1&1/4 in the back. Rubicon to SportS swap (non-maxtow)

I'm not sure if it would make a difference but the takeoff set i got was from a launch edition and it is the falcon shocks not fox.

Sponsored

Jack'D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if it would make a difference but the takeoff set i got was from a launch edition and it is the falcon shocks not fox.
Not sure either, I thought the lift was provided by the springs not the shocks, but maybe the Launch is slightly different than a 2020 rubi?

Jack'D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine kept the "rake" being just a tad higher in the back..

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon to Sport S suspension swap FB_IMG_1595889063743

gerky18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I added the bumper (about 110lbs) after the suspension so it might be closer to even now. I have not measured again since the bumper.

20200922_181545.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll cover it again because people seem to think ALL RUBICONS have the SAME spring stiffness or number. They do not.
Same for Sport S - Joe's Sport S non-max tow may have a totally different set of springs than your Sport S non-max tow.
Sport S may have any of at least 2 or 3 possible spring combinations.
Rubicon will have at least 2 or 3 different spring combinations.
Rubicon springs covers a variety of SPRING STIFFNESS.
Sport S covers a variety.
So if you have the strongest Sport S springs and you get Rubicon springs that came from a lighter Rubicon without the steel bumper and other options, you won't get much lift, but if you have the softest of all Sport S springs and get springs from a Rubicon that was fully loaded with all steel bumpers, and every possible option, you'll get more lift.

In short, there are dozens of springs used under JTs, even in the Rubicon, there's several possible combinations.

There is no being able to say "you WILL get xx lift" with "Rubicon springs".

Anyone with a Sport S WITH max tow should not swap REAR springs unless they wish to give up those nice progressive springs.......... use spacers if you need a lift.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure either, I thought the lift was provided by the springs not the shocks, but maybe the Launch is slightly different than a 2020 rubi?
Shocks do not provide any lift.

Every JT you run across could have different springs - that "LE" may have a totally different set of springs because of the OPTIONS, NOT BECAUSE IT'S A LE.
Sponsored