Sponsored

Running wires from the engine compartment to interior

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I'm definitely just going to use the drivers side one myself after reading all this
Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I went through the passenger side grommet has in my manual JT for Zautomotive. Didn’t need to remove anything. Just laid on the ground, pulled the fender liner back a bit and reached up to the firewall grommet

Strider62

First Name
C.B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5; Gladiator Overland
Realizing I'm WAAAAAAY late to this discussion, but just thought my own experience might be helpful for other noobs like me.

I wrestled with that plug for about 15 minutes, couldn't get good purchase on it from either side, especially since I thought I needed to twist it to unlock it... (You don't.)

So I sprayed just a little bit of WD40 on the edges (interior and exterior) and it popped right out when I pushed it with one finger (from the foot well side).

You can see in the image below the two tabs that actually hold the plug in place (marked with yellow arrows). You should be able to see these tabs when you stick your head into the footwell and look up there. You can see in the second photo that the tabs are cutouts in the circular wall of the plug.

Presumably, you could just pinch the tabs and push the plug out, but it's probably easier to just spray a little shot of WD40 onto those tabs and you ought to get the same result I did - an easy one-finger push and the plug was lying on my driveway.

If you can't see the tabs, look for the numeral "3" stamped into the plastic of the plug (in the yellow circle in the image below). It should be at the six o'clock position. The tabs are at 90 degrees around, right and left, from the "3" (in other words, they should be at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions).

The flanges on the plug that look like screw threads (and made me think I needed to rotate the plug to get it out) don't serve much purpose other than to align the plug with the flange cutouts in the firewall through-hole.

I guess the moral of the story is "don't overthink it!"

From here, I plan to drill out a small hole in the plastic plug and use a rubber firewall grommet to protect the wire I pass though it, and to help seal up the hole.

Jeep Gladiator Running wires from the engine compartment to interior Firewall Plug - Driver Side.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Running wires from the engine compartment to interior Firewall plug - driver side - side view.JPG

Found a YouTube video showing the firewall plug on a JL Wrangler (maybe a 2018) - confirms it's the upper plug - this screen capture shows the plug removed:

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 9.32.50 AM.png

And here's the plug - it has 2 tabs on it...
Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 9.34.29 AM.png

Obviously it's on the Driver's side adjacent to the brake booster...
Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 9.35.42 AM.png

Here's a link with more information on this pass through and plug:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/wiring-through-the-firewall.8424/

View from inside the Jeep:
img_5291-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
Realizing I'm WAAAAAAY late to this discussion, but just thought my own experience might be helpful for other noobs like me.

I wrestled with that plug for about 15 minutes, couldn't get good purchase on it from either side, especially since I thought I needed to twist it to unlock it... (You don't.)

So I sprayed just a little bit of WD40 on the edges (interior and exterior) and it popped right out when I pushed it with one finger (from the foot well side).

You can see in the image below the two tabs that actually hold the plug in place (marked with yellow arrows). You should be able to see these tabs when you stick your head into the footwell and look up there. You can see in the second photo that the tabs are cutouts in the circular wall of the plug.

Presumably, you could just pinch the tabs and push the plug out, but it's probably easier to just spray a little shot of WD40 onto those tabs and you ought to get the same result I did - an easy one-finger push and the plug was lying on my driveway.

If you can't see the tabs, look for the numeral "3" stamped into the plastic of the plug (in the yellow circle in the image below). It should be at the six o'clock position. The tabs are at 90 degrees around, right and left, from the "3" (in other words, they should be at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions).

The flanges on the plug that look like screw threads (and made me think I needed to rotate the plug to get it out) don't serve much purpose other than to align the plug with the flange cutouts in the firewall through-hole.

From here, I plan to drill out a small hole in the plastic plug and use a rubber firewall grommet to protect the wire I pass though it, and to help seal up the hole.

Jeep Gladiator Running wires from the engine compartment to interior Firewall plug - driver side - side view.JPG

I may do this when I get around to the onboard AIR :)

Sponsored

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer

This is what I need to do, but there is more packed in there with the diesel layout, making this plug a PITA to get to. They put the windshield washer fluid reservoir in front of it.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I'm definitely just going to use the drivers side one myself after reading all this
When I was putting in my switch panel I ended up using the driver's side hole rather than the passenger side because of what a PITA that grommet is. I'm glad S-Tech provided long enough wires to do this since I mounted the relay/fuse box on the passenger side

I'm pretty sure rooting around and trying to cut that passenger side grommet caused my airbag light to come on

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Nevermind. I found a video with a different route. Much easier.