Racer5112

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1961 Ford Falcon, 1980 Dodge Colt wagon, 2018 Dodge Journey
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t believe the entire don’t need to rustproof theory. I would absolutely agree with you, don’t ever add the rubberized coating as when brine inevitably does get under it then will be trapped and accelerate rust. I also agree there is no need for por15 on a new frame or over any type of surface rust. But a spray on oil type is absolutely worth the $$.

Supposedly Woolwax is the same type and manufactur of as fluid film with no smell. You can purchase a spray gun and 4 quarts for $110 on Amazon if you already have a compressor. That should be enough for 4 years of recoats and some time out of your life every fall.

My Tacoma frame was replaced in 2013 and then covered in some sort of cosmoline. when I sold it last month there was hardly any black paint and all the welds and seams were bulging out with thick flaking rust. I wish I had sprayed it down, would have probably saved me a lot of grief. Considering the value of a gladiator and the comparative cost of spraying an oil type protective coat every year, how could you not?

Oil spray can be put on all other parts unlike other coatings. Including suspension components. Picture of 7 year old OME nitrochargers on my old truck. New England roads ate them, but they still felt great.
9ABC5FFE-8946-447D-964E-CBED24D3B061.jpeg
I
EXACTLY the way of thinking! I live in Iowa, so we see our share of brine as well. There's no way that I will let the truck be another victim of rust for as long as I can help it! I bought a spray gun and a gallon of the Fluid Film on eBay for $100 last year. Hopefully it will serve me well!

Great point on pointing out that it can be sprayed on everything, including suspension components. Just as you pointed out with shocks, it isn't just the frame or body that rusts!

-Mike
Sponsored

2004blackwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrx, 2005 xterra, 2014 durango, formerly 1998 wrangler
I have seen and used fluid film on other things then cars and can see how it would work. My question is does the film attract dirt and in the end causes more problems? I agree with the original poster I hate rust and I know it will arrive I just want to stop it as long as possible.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have seen and used fluid film on other things then cars and can see how it would work. My question is does the film attract dirt and in the end causes more problems? I agree with the original poster I hate rust and I know it will arrive I just want to stop it as long as possible.
To some degree, fluid film does attract some dirt, but it is self-limiting and anything of significance comes off with a light pressure water rinse.

Fluid Film has been around for decades and a lot of commercial, fleet and municipalities use it also on their vehicles and equipment with no issue. I have been using it for quite a few years on my personal vehicles doing a yearly application as recommended and found no appreciable build up of gunk attached to the fluid film to cause any issue. Only annoyance is if you do work under your vehicle a lot, anything your body parts touches against with the fluid film applied, will get a grimy dirt transfer onto you but it cleans up easy with normal soap cleaners.

The positives of Fluid Film out weigh the negatives in my opinion.

SoGlad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
You know that this has been debunked in pretty much every auto forum and the interwebs... There is no such thing as rust proofing you can do to new cars cuz what comes out of the factory for new cars already has enough processes like electro de-conditioning and chemical baths done to the body and frames to prevent rust for a long time - I am talking less than 20 years but after that it is anyone's guess. I wouldn't do any sort of rust proofing in the new cars... I would rather just focus on getting my truck/car washed every week and taking care of it rather than these gimmicky products.
I agree with rubber based undercoating. I think it holds moisture just as bad as sand. But I am trying a lanolin oil by Woolwax. I just applied it. It's just a really heavy grease consistency that could be washed off and reapplied.

SoGlad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
EXACTLY the way of thinking! I live in Iowa, so we see our share of brine as well. There's no way that I will let the truck be another victim of rust for as long as I can help it! I bought a spray gun and a gallon of the Fluid Film on eBay for $100 last year. Hopefully it will serve me well!

Great point on pointing out that it can be sprayed on everything, including suspension components. Just as you pointed out with shocks, it isn't just the frame or body that rusts!

-Mike
If you spray lanolin oil you should avoid all of the hot components like the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Racer5112

Racer5112

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you spray lanolin oil you should avoid all of the hot components like the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe.
As much as I figured that was obvious, I suppose not everyone thinks the same way. Good point!

-Mike

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I'm with those that agree that the right treatment, put on correctly, can make a big difference. Most of my vehicles I have either done it myself or had it done; used to do it with a friend who used used motor oil (economical but stinky and messy).

More recently have used chainsaw bar/chain oil, which has tackifiers that help it stick, or, in recent years, used the bar/chain oil but heated to dissolve a block of canning paraffin into about 2 gallons of the oil, and then thinned back out with kerosene to a sprayable consistency- the kero helps it creep into crevices but once the kero begins to evaporate, the parrafin gives the oil much more 'body' while remaining a thick clingy fluid layer that will self-heal if scratched and that won't harden and hold moisture behind it.

The one vehicle (2011 Tacoma) that I didn't get around to undercoating, never exhibited rust-through, but after about 3 years (I traded it at about 4 years) I was surprised and alarmed how much orange I saw on surfaces of the frame and other underside surfaces.

The woolwax looks very interesting, glad to learn of it.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Anyone with experience with this product?
https://nhoilundercoating.com/
It sounds like most of the products mentioned require yearly re-application to ensure protection.
I noticed on my 13 YO CRV that the untreated underbody still looks 'good' with minor rust areas, but nuts and bolts have not faired so well. Any work requiring fastener removal on the underbody requires dealing with heads rusted to undersize and can result in snapped bolts no matter how careful you are.

OP
OP
Racer5112

Racer5112

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone with experience with this product?
https://nhoilundercoating.com/
It sounds like most of the products mentioned require yearly re-application to ensure protection.
I noticed on my 13 YO CRV that the untreated underbody still looks 'good' with minor rust areas, but nuts and bolts have not faired so well. Any work requiring fastener removal on the underbody requires dealing with heads rusted to undersize and can result in snapped bolts no matter how careful you are.
I'm starting to check into this 'rustproofing' more and more. Here's a video I found that also mentions the NH Oil Undercoating. Thought it was interesting..

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I'm starting to check into this 'rustproofing' more and more. Here's a video I found that also mentions the NH Oil Undercoating. Thought it was interesting..
Nice video.

OP
OP
Racer5112

Racer5112

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know about you guys, but I am going to be contacting the dealer and Fluid Film. I'm wondering if I should undercoat the truck before driving it anywhere, and using Fluid Film annually on the rest. I just need to figure out if they're compatible with each other..

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
I don't know about you guys, but I am going to be contacting the dealer and Fluid Film. I'm wondering if I should undercoat the truck before driving it anywhere, and using Fluid Film annually on the rest. I just need to figure out if they're compatible with each other..

As stated in the video that you posted the undercoating will seal in the rust so that it forms under the coating until it peels it off and then it is too late..

I like the crc product idea I use fluid film on mine and do them annually if I could put the product on and drive it then that is the way to go...

I wash the bottom of my truck monthly so the fluid film does get washed off but I do not undercoat them and I can get that done very cheap as I work in the industry..

OP
OP
Racer5112

Racer5112

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As stated in the video that you posted the undercoating will seal in the rust so that it forms under the coating until it peels it off and then it is too late..

I like the crc product idea I use fluid film on mine and do them annually if I could put the product on and drive it then that is the way to go...

I wash the bottom of my truck monthly so the fluid film does get washed off but I do not undercoat them and I can get that done very cheap as I work in the industry..
The only reason I am considering the undercoating is if I can get it done at the dealership without putting a single road mile on it.

I too liked the CRC product and am considering it especially since I drive a work vehicle for work, so the truck will sit anyway. How do you like the Fluid Film? How long have you been using it? I have a kit at home, but haven't used it on anything yet..

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
I like it have used it for years now and 3 Toyotas with "frame problems" and I encountered none of those issues...

Just do not care for the yearly application a little messy but with my results I cannot really complain much..

as for the no road miles and undercoating I think you are wasting your money...
Sponsored