Sarge Green Sport S HIGHLY UNNECESSARY Build Thread

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 sport s - 2018 Gx460 - 1992 SC400
Occupation
Construction
I did the same thing with the rubi rails. Got them in FB. They do make a huge difference. That and my leveling kit made my JT look much much better.
Sponsored

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
I'm pretty much driving the same truck as you but no mods yet. I'm loving the progress and consideration with your mods and how you hunt the marketplace for deals. So many builds are underaken with giant amounts of money spent and I just don't think it's necessary in many of the cases. The back to back with the Mopar rock rails has convinced me to snag a pair. They're like $100 on FB.

OP
OP
22_Sarge_Sport

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
I did the same thing with the rubi rails. Got them in FB. They do make a huge difference. That and my leveling kit made my JT look much much better.
Your truck looks fantastic.

OP
OP
22_Sarge_Sport

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
I'm pretty much driving the same truck as you but no mods yet. I'm loving the progress and consideration with your mods and how you hunt the marketplace for deals. So many builds are underaken with giant amounts of money spent and I just don't think it's necessary in many of the cases. The back to back with the Mopar rock rails has convinced me to snag a pair. They're like $100 on FB.
Yeah, the $80 tires were a freak deal, but the rest is mostly just being patient. Rubi take-off parts are often available - it would be very easy to grab Rubi shocks and springs in new condition from craigslist or facebook, plus the rails, and be a long ways for very little outlay.

NCSteve83

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Manufacturing Technician
OK, I'll get a pic next time I have the doors off. The mirrors screw directly into the cowl; you can remove a bolt using the Jeep toolkit and then screw the mirror right in. Then there is a nut on the mirror's threaded stud to secure it. So far mine hasn't slipped down even once, and the vibration is fine up to 50mph or so. It's not super useful on the freeway other than keeping me in accordance with Michigan law, but, yeah.
They work great for me. Just want to be legal.

20220630_112523.jpg

20220601_105040.jpg

20220601_121150.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
22_Sarge_Sport

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Your truck looks fantastic.
@River2016 - did you remove the entire air dam / "closure panel" in front yourself? Because of rubbing or aesthetics or both? Do you figure it impacted mileage at all?

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
Did you happen to measure your before and after F/R elevation change from the Mopar lift? I've been debating whether or not to install a small (1/2") spacer in the front at the time of install.

OP
OP
22_Sarge_Sport

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Did you happen to measure your before and after F/R elevation change from the Mopar lift? I've been debating whether or not to install a small (1/2") spacer in the front at the time of install.
I didn't, even though I meant to. (Sigh). By looking at it, I figure that the front and black were lifted the ~exact same amount on my Sport S (stock bumpers, no winch), so the entire factory rake was preserved. It certainly doesn't need more lift for clearance on metric 35s, but if you're looking to level, I'd say you need more than just the Mopar lift.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
I didn't, even though I meant to. (Sigh). By looking at it, I figure that the front and black were lifted the ~exact same amount on my Sport S (stock bumpers, no winch), so the entire factory rake was preserved. It certainly doesn't need more lift for clearance on metric 35s, but if you're looking to level, I'd say you need more than just the Mopar lift.
Thanks for the input. I've found varying results here with the lift height delta which is interesting. Think I'll just buy the spacers in case.

On a previous question above, what I did was use the fixed-blade utility knife method to cut the closure panels off of the front bumper. I left the plastic air dam intact. I don't keep track of mpg well but I didn't notice a difference on my stock setup, YMMV.

OP
OP
22_Sarge_Sport

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Thanks for the input. I've found varying results here with the lift height delta which is interesting. Think I'll just buy the spacers in case.

On a previous question above, what I did was use the fixed-blade utility knife method to cut the closure panels off of the front bumper. I left the plastic air dam intact. I don't keep track of mpg well but I didn't notice a difference on my stock setup, YMMV.
YMM literally V, I guess. You cut off everything below the bumper, and left the bit between the bumper and fender?

Sponsored

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
YMM literally V, I guess. You cut off everything below the bumper, and left the bit between the bumper and fender?
The opposite. See below. You can't tell it ever had them. You score the closure panel with a utility knife, then slowly cut through the plastic (it's actually pretty easy to cut). Some folks use a Dremel with a plastic cutting wheel, some use the knife method. Lots of info on here and the JL forum about doing it. I've read removing the air dam below the bumper will cause some MPG loss, like ~1.

Jeep Gladiator Sarge Green Sport S HIGHLY UNNECESSARY Build Thread Screenshot_20220719-074301_Photos

OP
OP
22_Sarge_Sport

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
The opposite. See below. You can't tell it ever had them. You score the closure panel with a utility knife, then slowly cut through the plastic (it's actually pretty easy to cut). Some folks use a Dremel with a plastic cutting wheel, some use the knife method. Lots of info on here and the JL forum about doing it. I've read removing the air dam below the bumper will cause some MPG loss, like ~1.
That looks like it's supposed to be that way. I will read up on it some more. Thank you.

OP
OP
22_Sarge_Sport

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Nice look JT. I’m a fan of the green. Mines a Gator. I’m curious how those scooter mirrors mount and look.
OK the scooter mirrors are these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOV2LUE

...and they kind of just work:

Jeep Gladiator Sarge Green Sport S HIGHLY UNNECESSARY Build Thread 20220725_093251

Jeep Gladiator Sarge Green Sport S HIGHLY UNNECESSARY Build Thread 20220725_093246

The nut is a tiny bit hard to finger tighten, so I might put some kind of washer or spacer on it (Narrator: he is too lazy to do this), but for the money, it's a no-brainer.

CJXJJT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
51 CJ3A, 71 CJ5, 72 CJ6, 93 XJ, 21 JT
Occupation
Machinist
Really like the build. I have a sarge 6 speed and love it. How are you liking your tires? I picked up a set on that deal as well, but haven't mounted them up yet.
Jeep Gladiator Sarge Green Sport S HIGHLY UNNECESSARY Build Thread 20220723_091022
Sponsored