Brojave22

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
Something's gotta be wrong physically assuming your fan is functioning normal. Bad thermostat, air in the system, bad temp gauge (unless it's boiling over)
Thought it was the thermostat but the oil temp climbs too, fan comes on, goes up to like 250-260f, when i first picked it up the coolant reservoir had a hole in it, wonder if that burned out the pump and it just took a shit this week, but its at the dealer so waiting game now
Sponsored

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I brought mine in the other day and they told me the same thing here in southern NM. No appointment. You just have to drop it off and hope they can get to it when they get to it.

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
That's pretty much it. I just read articles where they are saying there are record numbers of working age men, especially YOUNGER men, in their 20s, etc., who are not working and not looking for work so they don't show up in the unemployment numbers. They are saying it's the worst since the 1930s.

Mike Rowe and others are alarmed. No one wants to go into "trades". It's college, office or tech job, or nothing.
Money for nothing and .....................

Not really. A few years ago, before I retired, I was disgusted with the politics and BS where I was working and started looking around. My experience in automotive and networking could have landed me a 6 figure job at a Mercedes shop.
I don't know about Jeep shops - but it's good money if you like hands-on work as opposed to manning a phone or shuffling papers or using a keyboard all day.

Around here, it takes at least 3 weeks to get into a Jeep shop.

So, what do you consider "entry level"?? Or are you one who won't work hard for less than 80K a year?

And yet - there they are, sitting at home. Like I said - articles show a huge number of working age people, especially younger, sitting at home not even LOOKING for work. Every business here, every one of them, has a help wanted sign. And a Pella Corp exec told me that multi-thousand dollar hiring bonuses won't break them out of their chairs. No one wants to work in trades or a factory.
The proof, the articles are out there......

And then there's another reason - many retired early. A LOT of people retired early, more than ever in the last 2 years. Record early retirements.

1677388140901.png

1677388224226.png

And finally - how many have been watching TV in recent months and seen all of the new dot com products being advertised? From deodorants for your ass to fancy clothing to an endless assortment of internet products. People quit jobs to start a business so they could sit at home and make money online. Look at the ads - stuff you never saw 2 years ago. All new "companies" and almost all connected to a web site - it's all being sold online now -

1677388389703.png
Dude, I don't understand why you assume that I'm lumped into the I won't work for more than $80k year pretty big assumption there. Why shouldn't people want better pay and work environments commensurate with their experience and education? (Wages have been in decline for the past 50 years.)

While I find your experience and posts on this forum super helpful, you do like to be provocative just to be contrary. You try to foment an argument by painting anyone with a different opinion with a broad brush.

I prepared a longer response to this but it's not germane to the discussion and not helpful to the OP.

It's not an argument. Just a different viewpoint.

Chunky White

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
My local dealership will take your jeep and tear it apart the same day even if the part which isn't stopping you from driving the vehicle safely is two months out. They did that when the infotainment center in my 2019 Grand Cherokee started acting up. I did get a horrible loaner to drive though

schnelly

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler with a 2021 Gladiator on order
Occupation
Parts manager
Finally got around to calling the local dealers to make an appointment for the JT, the dealer I got mine from is kinda far so I called 5 local dealers to make appointments for a misfire and some other things, they all turned me away by saying we are not taking any new customers or they have no appointments available until late April, finally called the dealer i got it from and they said the same thing, but they said I can drop it off and they can try to fit me in this week no guarantee.

Is this happening by you? I'm in NY

Are they so busy they don't want new customers or do they lose money on outside customer warranty work?

and this also can't be a good sign that they have so many service issues, I know they are jeeps and people abuse them but this is far from my first jeep new from a dealer and never had that response before...
Back

Sponsored

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
i hate hearing 'no one wants to work'. im in the industry, i make good money but the schedule sucks. Im lucky the dealer i work at is amazing. Our techs just got an inflation raise last week. I was told "as sales increase, your pay increases" thats not a raise, thats a skirt IMO. I wont go into logistics bc its not the place.

Good dealers, with good managers, keep good people. Ive been at the same dealer for 16 years. Im 39 btw, thats unheard of for my generation. I only want a better schedule. id take a 10k dollar pay cut for five days a week, no weekends.

Its not a working problem at my dealer, its the industry as a whole that is garbage.

The jeep dealer next door to me got me in within three days of calling and had my JT repaired in three days after that.

Steering dampner, lof, tire rotation. The dampner came overnight, ive read thats not everyones experience.

Im sure my little city is not as big as some other areas. IDK if atlanta is as backed up, but my city is not.

The chevy dealers on the other hand.....4-6 weeks out is the rumor i hear. Chevy trucks are also EVERYWHERE in my area, so thats probably why.

OP
OP
Brojave22

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
i hate hearing 'no one wants to work'. im in the industry, i make good money but the schedule sucks. Im lucky the dealer i work at is amazing. Our techs just got an inflation raise last week. I was told "as sales increase, your pay increases" thats not a raise, thats a skirt IMO. I wont go into logistics bc its not the place.

Good dealers, with good managers, keep good people. Ive been at the same dealer for 16 years. Im 39 btw, thats unheard of for my generation. I only want a better schedule. id take a 10k dollar pay cut for five days a week, no weekends.

Its not a working problem at my dealer, its the industry as a whole that is garbage.

The jeep dealer next door to me got me in within three days of calling and had my JT repaired in three days after that.

Steering dampner, lof, tire rotation. The dampner came overnight, ive read thats not everyones experience.

Im sure my little city is not as big as some other areas. IDK if atlanta is as backed up, but my city is not.

The chevy dealers on the other hand.....4-6 weeks out is the rumor i hear. Chevy trucks are also EVERYWHERE in my area, so thats probably why.
I feel ya, where I'm from everyone has a jeep or had a jeep, they are very popular here. I dont think its an issue with people wanting to work, I was more concerned about the quality of the jeeps but I could be wrong

alyn

First Name
Alyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator,2019 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Retired
Finally got around to calling the local dealers to make an appointment for the JT, the dealer I got mine from is kinda far so I called 5 local dealers to make appointments for a misfire and some other things, they all turned me away by saying we are not taking any new customers or they have no appointments available until late April, finally called the dealer i got it from and they said the same thing, but they said I can drop it off and they can try to fit me in this week no guarantee.

Is this happening by you? I'm in NY

Are they so busy they don't want new customers or do they lose money on outside customer warranty work?

and this also can't be a good sign that they have so many service issues, I know they are jeeps and people abuse them but this is far from my first jeep new from a dealer and never had that response before...
Dealers don't like Free Service (Warranty Work). the amount of Free Service has to be offset by Customer Pay work. Service pays the bills. Sales Profit is pure Profit. If they can keep the Riff-Raff Free Service customers out,the better the bottom line. So they say they're too busy to take a strange customer.

OP
OP
Brojave22

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
Dealers don't like Free Service (Warranty Work). the amount of Free Service has to be offset by Customer Pay work. Service pays the bills. Sales Profit is pure Profit. If they can keep the Riff-Raff Free Service customers out,the better the bottom line. So they say they're too busy to take a strange customer.
Stellantis doesn’t pay them for warranty work?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Stellantis doesn’t pay them for warranty work?
They pay, but on a fixed schedule with specific requirements that have to be followed. The dealer has a higher profit margin on non-warranty work.

Sponsored

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
I'm in contact with IRFs (Independent Repair Facilities) daily; collision & mechanical in the Mid Atlantic area. Every shop is looking to hire at least 1 &.or 2 Techs. Collision shops are 2-3 months out consistently (taking appointments for estimates are about 2-3 weeks out) and mechanical at least 2 weeks..(my advise Befriend the shop mgt.) Looking farther how many technical schools are in your areas? I know instructors at the Private training institutes for automotive and trucking; guess what these guys say about the students that are paying tuition to learn? yep about 10-15% will after completion "make it" into the industry. That's an issue = not many today. Why is that? Love of the automobile has waned.. What are high school guidance counselors promoting.. not trades / how about college and this gets supported by politicians touting free college. All the trades are experiencing the same issue "lack of young new labor". If you know an HVAC owner, a Plumber, a Electrician ask them about the Labor force for their businesses AND how long for an appointment.

OP
OP
Brojave22

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
Almost 3 weeks and got the JT back today, leaking water pump gasket and a PCM update fixed the issue, don't like the idea of a 2nd software update fixing it but it hasn't misfired once today, any idea what the second software update did?

Last edited:

Waffen6

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
They pay, but on a fixed schedule with specific requirements that have to be followed. The dealer has a higher profit margin on non-warranty work.
This is not true. Im a parts Manager over a 5 franchise dealership (not Chrysler) and have been there 7 years. At least here in Ohio we are able to submit to the franchises how much we make for "Customer Pay" jobs and warranty now matches it. So we make the same amount on warranty parts/labor as we do on someone bringing in a 10 year old car. Our biggest problem is finding good technicians, we have a good group of ones that all have over 15 years experience each but finding and keeping quick lube techs that want to learn and move up. Well only about 1 in 10 work out, we pay for all their training if they want to learn but they dont. Depending on the franchise we are scheduled out 2-5 weeks on diagnostic jobs, less then a week for quick lube stuff. Been this way for the past year. Our dealer Principal put into effect anyone who bought from us has top priority, anyone else has to wait. We always tell people if you can drop it off we can try to work it in. Parts are still a problem as well, just got in two rear radar sensors yesterday a Customer ordered from me last September, with some things its really bad

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Mack's Toe Nacho
Occupation
Powersports Technical Support
My JT has been at the dealer for 45 continuous days as of today after almost one year of going around in circles with them after they f***ed up an oil change leading to an engine knock. The service department has been absolutely terrible in communication or caring about me, the customer, who is now looking into lemoning out. I will never, ever under any circumstances recommend them, nor will I ever bring mine back to them if I ever get it back. They have lied to me on multiple occasions and I have had to get the entire management team involved to get anything done.
Customer service no longer exists. I used to be a service advisor and parts manager and know how to take care of people. Is it more difficult now, absolutely. With shortages and people not wanting to work, or unable to do things correctly, service writers are getting hammered from all sides.
Having been a technician in the field, warranty time is... interesting for piecemeal pay. Diagnostic time is a joke.

Tldr: Jeep broken, dealer sucks, completely disappointed 😞
Sponsored