Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
@Northridge4x4 are you able to help with this question?
They are big and heavy .... The JL ones came in two massive heavy boxes but they still came by UPS.

On the Rock Hard site, the JT ones list "NOTE: Truck Freight Shipping Required" which puts you into an entirely different shipping cost.

Even @Northridge4x4 (who is really good with shipping) shows an extra $150 on the JT sliders over the JLs.

Bummer for sure but they are massive pieces of steel.
They very likely exceed what UPS likes to do. I don't remember the exact dimensions, but it was 89" long and/or over 150 pounds may be the threshold.

Unfortunately the cost of shipping is a killer and for JT sliders it is because of the size.

@jeep1 has it right, it's the oversize packaging that hurts it and UPS really hits you on oversized packages.

It's one of the reasons that Rock Slide Engineering uses a two-piece slider on the JT. They can package the full kit into boxes that fall under the UPS max limits.

From UPS's Shipping Size page said:
Over Maximum Size
UPS has established specific weight and size limits for the packages sent through our small package delivery network. The limits below only pertain to individual packages. There are no limits to the total weight of your shipment or the total number of packages in your shipment.
  • Packages can be up to 150 pounds.
  • Packages can be up to 165 inches in length and girth combined.
  • Packages can be up to 108 inches in length.
  • Packages with a large size-to-weight ratio require special pricing and dimensional weight calculations.
These limits apply to most packages and destinations, but there are some variances because of different local restrictions in some countries. Packages that exceed UPS weight and size limits above are subject to an Over Maximum Limits charge.
For more information on international restrictions, including size and weight, view our Import/Export tool.
In order to determine whether your package meets the criteria above, view more information on how to properly measure your UPS package.

UPS has established specific weight and size limits for the packages sent through our small package delivery network. The limits below only pertain to individual packages. There are no limits to the total weight of your shipment or the total number of packages in your shipment.

For domestic shipments, a package is considered a "Large Package" when its length (longest side of the package) plus girth [(2 x width) + (2 x height)] combined exceeds 130 inches or its length exceeds 96 inches.

For international shipments, a package is considered a "Large Package" when its length (longest side of the package) plus girth [(2 x width) + (2 x height)] combined exceeds 130 inches.

With the exception of UPS Ground with Freight Pricing packages, Large Packages are subject to a minimum billable weight of 90 pounds (40 kgs).

An Additional Handling charge will not be assessed when a Large Package Surcharge is applied.

To see the charges billed with the original freight charges enter the packages dimensions at the time of shipping.
Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
That does seem steep. Last time I ordered a stack of 37s on a pallet it was something like $125 for residential lift gate service. I'm just outside of a large metro though, that probably helps a lot.
That’s not difficult to move around (I did LTL delivery for a bit). As mentioned above…it’s oversized items or VERY heavy items that get to be a PITA to haul around. I.e. JT sliders are likely having to ship on extended pallets, which take up about as much space as two standard pallets in a trailer.

Did lots of stacks of whees and tires. Those aren’t bad. Bumpers can be a pain to maneuver depending on if the guy running the lift/loading the trailer loaded according to a logical route plan.

Assuming they’re sending out fully loaded trailers every day, something is probably going to stay on the dock for that item to get delivered (they may have to give someone else a shipping credit to make up for your item going out).

Great experience doing that work. Did the loading dock for a bit too. Much respect for peeps that do that day in and day out. I.e. No escape from crap weather.

OP
OP

Cooper_D

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2020 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
From the beginning I researched the different brands and features that they offered and settled on the Rock Hard so this caught me off guard.
I also shopped several different dealers as well so with them agreeing to help a little on the shipping and offering a 10% discount I feel as if I've recovered almost half of the shipping.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Cooper_D

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Oops it’s been awhile since I looked at Quadratec so I didn’t see the sale & they had them in stock.

Thanks for posting

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Shipping for these small shops is killer. Luckily sites like Quadratec and a few other big ones carry them and offer cheap shipping for Jeeps due to the volume they sell these products at. In my Xterra days, my plate bumper was $1,200 before shipping and that was in 2019 before all of the crazy.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Shipping prices went up for everything. I just sent by UPS a 1 lb box of chocolate candy to a friend. The candy was $19.00. Shipping was $21.00.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Like Barnaby'sdad said - or at least suggested - think of a long heavy item, then all of the smaller items that could have fit that same space and gotten them more money for that amount of space. Smaller packages cost less, but if 10 smaller packages would fit that space and earn them $300, doesn't it make sense to charge $300 for the big item that takes that space?
It's less efficient to load a truck with odd sizes and shapes, you can't haul as much and you need to make each trip count.
Then today there's the cost of diesel fuel! They are paying over a buck more for each gallon of fuel that goes into freight hauling.
If a bumper or rails or whatever takes the same amount of space xx boxes each costing $yy to ship, shouldn't the shipper of that large item help cover the loss being unable to haul those easier to handle, lighter for employees packages?
Is it possible a company could actually make more money hauling a lot more smaller boxes than that one large box?
I know which I'd rather load and haul.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Shipping prices went up for everything. I just sent by UPS a 1 lb box of chocolate candy to a friend. The candy was $19.00. Shipping was $21.00.
Why? I ship starters, alternators and other heavy stuff USPS priority mail flat rate for less than that, and it gets there in 2 days and has $100 insurance included.
I rarely ship UPS. Just not cost effective and when you are shipping heavy stuff - can't beat the flat rate box.

Amazon f'd up (again) with a package I ordered for my grandson's b-day. It was supposed to arrive 2 days before we left for FL.
When we left we told our neighbor - if that "arrives while we are gone, please re-label it and mail it down to this address"
It did arrive while we were down there, so he took and wrapped it and sent it UPS for almost double what priority mail would have cost! Why the heck he went UPS I'll never know but hold cow - it could have shipped for under $20 and gotten there in 2 days instead of 5 days via UPS for a lot higher cost.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
These increase in shipping charges are related to gas prices also (freight status aside) i ship and receive items everyday and have seen an exponential increase in the shipping rates over the last year. So much so we've had to adjust our warranty because customers literally cannot afford to ship defective items back. It is pretty outrageous but its just the way the market is right now. Probably will never decrease since everyone is paying for it now already. It costs me about $20 to ship a 3lb control board via UPS Ground and that's the corporate account. its probably more like $40 for the average.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
I have the Rugged Ridge RRC Rocker Guards, free shipping. These are awesome, had a set previously on my JK too.

Jeep Gladiator Shipping is outrageous image (7)

Jeep Gladiator Shipping is outrageous 280529504_126714999975719_6281331621994431337_n

JustinLentz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Mojave RIP: 20JT 09jk, 03jgc, 97tj, 95yj, 73cj
Occupation
Operations Coordinator
Sometimes, if you can find a distributer of the product locally, they will ship it to them for free and you just go pick them up.

OP
OP

Cooper_D

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I really don’t plan on doing a lot of modifications but high shipping rates will probably slow down the pace at which i purchase especially since the same dealer had priced front and rear bumpers to another customer only to find out there was a $425 shipping fee added.

These rates hurt manufacturers, little dealers and the end consumer alike so hopefully we will see relief sometime in the future, hopefully.
Sponsored