Short Antennas

Greenterror9

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Bought and returned the Rydonair 7". Reception was horrendous. I like the suggestion of going with the aluminum one, may try that out.
Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I went with the Raydonair 7'' antenna. No issues that I've noticed.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I bought a 13" rubber job from KSaAuto on Amazon mostly due to their published VSWR plot over the FM band. I deal with a lot of antennas and range testing so this company sounded like they know a little something.

I just ran a test comparing the stock antenna to the 13" with stations in the low, mid and high end of the AM and FM band. On AM a really weak station on the stock antenna just goes away with the 13" on any part of the band. On FM the difference is much less with most weak stations on the stock antenna still there on the 13" but just weaker. In one case at the upper end of the FM band a weak station on the stock antenna was not useable on the 13"

I used to work on car stereos years ago (70s and 80s) and most radios had a tunable capacitor inside to optimize AM reception since the antenna and its interface, cables, etc, are very critical. The capacitor was accessible on the rear panel of the radio or through the cassette door. Years ago I found you could go from a large to small antenna and after peaking the capacitor there was really no difference. Every car stereo installer knew this and when installing a new radio or antenna you had to perform the adjustment.

I'm not up on modern radios and don't know if they still have a user adjustable part to optimize AM reception. Maybe someone can call a dealer and ask. Here is a link to the 13" I bought..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CZ5NC4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
Sorry to revive an old thread, I just bought the Ksa auto one from amazon. They’re offering free one day shipping and a $2 discount (so $24.99). After looking at the reviews of the rugged ridge, rydonair, and the weird off “VOFONO” brands across amazon it looks like the ksa gets better reviews in terms of signal loss. Again I’m sure real world location and applications vary but I’ll provide my thoughts when it gets here.

IRON4TH

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Problem Manager
I got this stubby. The only time I have reception issues is when something is overhead. Like occasionally with overpasses, or going into or out of my garage, but only at the section under the metal door itself.

Jeep Gladiator Short Antennas JeepJune6

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
I got this stubby. The only time I have reception issues is when something is overhead. Like occasionally with overpasses, or going into or out of my garage, but only at the section under the metal door itself.

Jeep Gladiator Short Antennas JeepJune6
What length is that one out of curiosity? I think the one I ordered is 16”

Sponsored

JTWAVE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I use the Rydonair 13” as well. I haven’t noticed any issues. I still get the HD FM stations clear as day too.

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
Sorry to revive an old thread, I just bought the Ksa auto one from amazon. They’re offering free one day shipping and a $2 discount (so $24.99). After looking at the reviews of the rugged ridge, rydonair, and the weird off “VOFONO” brands across amazon it looks like the ksa gets better reviews in terms of signal loss. Again I’m sure real world location and applications vary but I’ll provide my thoughts when it gets here.
Weird, it's listed at $19.99 for me, next day delivery (PHX).

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I've run the 13 vofono on two jeeps now. Worked great on both them.
Sponsored