Sponsored

Should I have gotten the engine block heater?

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
The 3.6 starts readily and warms up the most rapidly of any vehicle I've ever owned. I live in a relatively cold area of Vermont. -30F used to not be unusual a few days a year but now we only occasionally get -15 or maybe -20. Coldest I have experienced was (real temp, not windchill) -42F in around 1993/4 and at the time my 1991 4 cylinder Ford Ranger started in that with no block heater, although the engine made some dire sounds and the 5 speed shifted as if it were filled with peanut butter
Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Reactions: Mac

flipmode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland
Up here in Montana, you definitely need one! If you get anywhere near -30 or -40 like we do, it's a must. I bought my JT off the lot in Colorado and it did not come with one. I ordered it online and I'm gonna have my local dealer install it. Someone posted a how-to for the install here, but it's already too cold for me to attempt that, not having a garage.
Would you kindly assist with any instruction to install the block heater, maybe a link to the thread mentioned?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Running your motor just to warm it up wastes fuel and creates unnecessary emissions.
The truck will warm up within a few minutes of driving.

Kevin
Don't "warm it up" but don't start it and instantly take off, either.

I factory ordered my truck, and for some reason didn't think to select the cheap option of an engine block heater.

I plan to move back to my home state of Iowa after living in Oregon for a bit. While I'm looking forward to being near family, I am not looking forward to the polar vortexes. Did I make a mistake not getting an engine block heater? How do these trucks and engines start in 0 degree F temperature?
You can have it added later - but likely won't need it. I live near Des Moines, I used to live near Clear Lake. If I still lived up there I'd have the heater - it's better on the engine to have the oil and other parts warmed up. But it will start and be fine.
Just start it and let it run 1 or 2 minutes before taking off. That way you have full oil circulation to all parts, including cam phasers and so on.
Idling isn't good, but neither is starting it at 0 degrees and taking off as soon as you have any RPM.

My truck used to sit out before I sold my other Jeep and re-arranged my garage a lot. It's in a garage now but it's a detached unheated garage so it's normally almost as cold in there as it is outside - depending.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A block heater isn't necessary. But it does nothing but help.

Cold starts are tough on an engine. I kick myself for not ordering one with my Gladiator.

But I used to use the silicone heat pads on my airplane and they worked great.

This one on Amazon is so reasonably priced, its worth getting even if you only use it a couple of days per year.

I now have a heated garage in my home but the car can sit in 0 deg weather when we are in NH.
I can tell you the car is much "happier" starting when everything is at a minimum of 45 deg compared with 0 deg.

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Silic...F39H/ref=dp_prsubs_2?pd_rd_i=B098TFF39H&psc=1

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I wish I did have one but I don’t
 currently working in North Dakota and it’s cold. But my gasser JT has started no problems.

31F8E5F0-6AF1-4C6E-9E36-BF247084D79C.png

Broccoli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
-35 here in northern MN this morning and fired up no problem. I have a block heater in my ‘21 Mojave but haven’t used it.

OP
OP
Sunbeam63

Sunbeam63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
-35 here in northern MN this morning and fired up no problem. I have a block heater in my ‘21 Mojave but haven’t used it.
This is great to hear, because I’m monitoring the Iowa temps the last weeks, and it’s cold back there! Stay warm!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is great to hear, because I’m monitoring the Iowa temps the last weeks, and it’s cold back there! Stay warm!
Tell me about it.......... should be better tomorrow. We did hit about 11 today for a high. Wow, heat wave!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sunbeam63

Sunbeam63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Tell me about it.......... should be better tomorrow. We did hit about 11 today for a high. Wow, heat wave!
Yes, I’m looking forward to the diverse weather offered by the great state of Iowa when I move back!

49Truck

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 Jeep Truck
Occupation
Tool Maker
excellent, much appreciated.
Hi Guys, this is interesting information on the engine block heaters for cold engines. I see one
is not offered from the Factory on the 2022 Gladiator, on the jeep website. Has it been discontinued for a problem, or because of low ordering of the option?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Hi Guys, this is interesting information on the engine block heaters for cold engines. I see one
is not offered from the Factory on the 2022 Gladiator, on the jeep website. Has it been discontinued for a problem, or because of low ordering of the option?
I'll find out Monday when i pick my JTRD up.

Byronanddawn

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Gladiator Willys
Curious how much the block jester may be needed on this motor. Live in Northern Colorado (front range).
Sponsored