Should I trade my Tundra to Gladiator?

john#21

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM Hydro Blue
BOTH ha, the 5.7 is a fun to drive engine, particularly with a pedal commander..... loved it in my two Tundras, biggest thing I miss in the Gladiator.

It just guzzles gas like crazy ha.

Ram 1500. Same size, Hemi 5.7, 21+ MPGS

I work at the Tundra plant........the Hemi got our money.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow

Crazy the ram gets the same mileage as the JT

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Iā€™m a newbie to this forum and first time post in here,
I am thinking to trade my 2014 Toyota Tundra Platinum fully load (135K miles ) to the new Jeep Gladiator Rubi/ Mojave , but it is tough choice and hesitation for me.
1- what do u guys think?
2- how is ur experience with gladiator on highway if compare to Tundra?
3- is it the bad idea to trade tundra to Gladiator plus about $30K on top to get Rubi/Mojave?
Interesting question, and I'd definitely wait to see what the new Tundra turns out to be.

I had two modern Tundra's, LOVED them and assumed I'd drive them forever. Dead nuts reliable and I just really liked the 5.7 and the cabin space is like an apartment ha.

But, I traded my 2019 Tundra I purchased new for my current '21 Gladiator. The ONLY reason that even got me looking was used truck prices, so then it was simply what else would I like to try or be happy in? I've owned Jeeps as well, and needed a truck bed, so Gladiator it was after being disappointed with the current Tacoma's (owned one a year and was done).

Tundra tows significantly more AND quite a bit better, hauls more, has I'd say twice the useable cabin space after daily driving both, is faster on all counts, and just is really smooth and quiet. Definitely behind on the technology/interface side compared to other modern fullsize trucks, but everything just works. I loved them.

But it's a full size, so not really fair on a lot of points.

I'm really enjoying the Gladiator though. It's smaller clearly, which has many upsides. It does get a little better mileage, but it's still a brick at the end of the day ha.

But, I'd do it again. The Gladiator is just fun, my family loves it, it's a convertible, the doors come off... so much it offers too.

So, not really a legit comparison, but I made it too. I miss things about the Tundra, but I also smile driving my Gladiator too.

The swing vote for me was simply, I missed driving a stick shift, the Gladiator came with a manual transmission and I liked it better than the other few comparable options.....

Good luck! But wait and see what the new Tundra looks like first too!

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I mean yeah and ???? The 5.7 is old school and sucks gas, isn't comparable to the newest...... But I was replying to a question about the Tundra 5.7 compared to a Gladiator.....

My answer stands....... :LOL: ;) :handsinair:

The 5.7 Tundra stomps the Gladiator lol

Now if only they had a V8 engine they could possibly put in a Gladiator????!!!!??? šŸ™ˆ

john#21

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM Hydro Blue
I mean yeah and ???? The 5.7 is old school and sucks gas, isn't comparable to the newest...... But I was replying to a question about the Tundra 5.7 compared to a Gladiator.....

My answer stands....... :LOL: ;) :handsinair:

The 5.7 Tundra stomps the Gladiator lol

Now if only they had a V8 engine they could possibly put in a Gladiator????!!!!??? šŸ™ˆ

i was just pointing out the hemi 5.7 gets better gas mileage than a Tundra 5.7.

12 vs 20+
no brainer really if you are concerned about gas mileage

Sponsored

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i was just pointing out the hemi 5.7 gets better gas mileage than a Tundra 5.7.

12 vs 20+
no brainer really if you are concerned about gas mileage
Yep, I just wish they'd put one in the Gladiator....

My dad has a nice Ram with one, great engine.

rmneal

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'47 CJ2a
Wish this thread was around when I bought my Mojave back in May. Would have lessened my apprehension a bit before I took the plunge. All the info posted here is "spot on"! Loved every aspect of my '08 Crewmax TRD...except the gas mileage. 12 mpg was what I got. Pulling a trailer was closer to 8. My biggest concern on going from the Tundra to the Gladiator was interior space. We had a family trip from Dallas to Telluride, Co in July and hauled myself, my wife, our 17 yr old daughter and 13 yr old son (who is a big as I am) without issue. My daughter has no problem letting us know if she is uncomfortable, and she never complained about the space in the back seat. Front seats were fantastic. Towing wise, it's perfectly adequate. We rented a Jayco Jayflight 21 foot, single axle earlier in the summer. It handled it well enough. Probably only weighed 3500 lbs, loaded. The sweet spot was towing at 60 mph. The wind resistance at 70 really made the Jeep have to work. I also tow my '47 Willys CJ2a on a 5x10 dual axle trailer with brakes. No issues with that at any reasonable speed. 70-75 mph is great with that setup. Really can't add much else that has not already been mentioned above.

HardCase

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Lawyer
I had a Tundra for six years. Lots of good characteristics and several bad ones. I much prefer the size, drive and overall feel of my Mojave. But Iā€™m thinking that how you plan to use it will answer the question better because itā€™s an apples/oranges comparison.

kokomo

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon LE, '00 TJ Sport, '10 Tundra, 94 Miata
I am thinking to trade my 2014 Toyota Tundra Platinum fully load (135K miles ) to the new Jeep Gladiator Rubi/ Mojave , but it is tough choice and hesitation for me.
1- what do u guys think?
3- is it the bad idea to trade tundra to Gladiator plus about $30K on top to get Rubi/Mojave?
It's not a fair comparison and it depends on what's important to you.

The Gladiator ride on the highway is fine, but my Tundra (2010 Doublecab base 2WD) is more comfortable on the highway than my Rubicon LE on 35's with factory suspension. Tundra obviously is quieter, has a higher payload, more room for passengers, and does better towing on-road than the Gladiator. I originally underestimated my need for these advantages and ended up keeping the Tundra after I bought the Gladiator.

If you need the full size truck, have you considered keeping the Tundra and adding a used Wrangled Unlimited?

Sponsored

R0dR0c

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator 16 Toyota Tundra 17 Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Mail Clerk
Two totally different vehicles in my opinion.
We have a 2016 Tundra that we love. And we just bought a 2021 Gladiator Willys edition that we love so far. We are not selling the Tundra. We wanted a fun convertible. We didn't want a stuffy snotty BMW or any sort of thing like that. And Toyota doesn't make the convertible Landcruiser anymore.
Depending on why you bought your Tundra and what you do with it will determine if you should trade it in. Only you can make that choice. It wasn't going to work for this family.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
People always want a black and white answer to a grey question. The question is what do YOU want to do with it? Or better put, what exactly do you want IT to do for you? Once you answer that youā€™ll know which will better serve your needs. . .

TreyDrier

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Zero
1- what do u guys think?
Never owned a Tundra but I did have a Ridgeline which is more or less the same size as the Gladiator. You can't beat the ride and fuel economy of the Ridgeline. It has a lot of nice features. I gave it to my son and bought a loaded up 2021 Gladiator Mojave. Man do I love it! It does not handle the road like the Ridgeline but the Ridgeline is really quite boring as I would expect the Tundra to have the same boring qualities. Take off the doors and roof of the Gladiator and man do I get the looks and smiles. People constantly asking me about it. I got the diamond stitched leather seats and they are VERY comfortable. Just remember with the Gladiator you are getting a convertible truck so luxury things you may be used to with the Tundra may not be an option on the Gladiator - for example no electric seats on any trim/model. Its because they are made to go off road in wet conditions. But otherwise its THE most fun vehicle I've ever owned and no other truck comes remotely close.

lacartus

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Never owned a Tundra but I did have a Ridgeline which is more or less the same size as the Gladiator. You can't beat the ride and fuel economy of the Ridgeline. It has a lot of nice features. I gave it to my son and bought a loaded up 2021 Gladiator Mojave. Man do I love it! It does not handle the road like the Ridgeline but the Ridgeline is really quite boring as I would expect the Tundra to have the same boring qualities. Take off the doors and roof of the Gladiator and man do I get the looks and smiles. People constantly asking me about it. I got the diamond stitched leather seats and they are VERY comfortable. Just remember with the Gladiator you are getting a convertible truck so luxury things you may be used to with the Tundra may not be an option on the Gladiator - for example no electric seats on any trim/model. Its because they are made to go off road in wet conditions. But otherwise its THE most fun vehicle I've ever owned and no other truck comes remotely close.
Thanks for posting your Ridgeline comparison. Looking to trade my 2017 RT-LE (luxury) for basically the same reasons -- more fun and keep the utility.

Dakota Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Gladiator Willys 3.0 Eco Diesel
Occupation
Pro Snipe Hunter
Let me start by saying I went from Tundra to Limited F-150 with ecoboost 3.5L to my Gladiator eco Diesel (Willyā€™s) and there are some significant differences that you need to fundamentally address in making your choice:

1. Do you need all that cabin space youā€™ve grown accustomed to? itā€™ll be like going from 3 bedroom apartment to a single.

2. Are you going to be owning anything? Gladiators have some capabilities, but nowhere near Tundra limits.

3. Plan on routinely hauling anything in truck bed? First trip to hardware store for Sheetrock, etc will be eye opening.

4. You looking to keep that relatively cushy ride youā€™re getting (for a truck)? Thatā€™s not what a Jeep is known foršŸ˜.

I will say without hesitation my Gladiator is not just my favorite truck Iā€™ve owned/driven, itā€™s my favorite vehicle, period.

Thereā€™s is simply nothing like driving it, Iā€™ve still got a very stupid self satisfied grin on my face every time I drive it. And Iā€™m literally looking for excuses to drive it months later. Itā€™s been years since I looked at my wife and out of the blue said, ā€œletā€™s take a driveā€ā€¦and have no idea where weā€™re going to end up.

To be fair, Iā€™m no longer needing to have a truck to haul kids, material for home projects, trailers for work or moving, etc. So this is my version of a mid-life sports carā€¦that I can drive over the sports carsšŸ˜.

Simply put, I canā€™t believe my wife let me even look at one, let alone let me buy one, and at this point Iā€™m going to have to go very big for her at Christmas this yearā€¦. itā€™ll be worth every penny I have leftšŸ¤£.

Does your Tundra, or the thought of another one, do that for you?
Sponsored

Last edited: