Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Occupation
Manager
I’m a newbie to this forum and first time post in here,
I am thinking to trade my 2014 Toyota Tundra Platinum fully load (135K miles ) to the new Jeep Gladiator Rubi/ Mojave , but it is tough choice and hesitation for me.
1- what do u guys think?
2- how is ur experience with gladiator on highway if compare to Tundra?
3- is it the bad idea to trade tundra to Gladiator plus about $30K on top to get Rubi/Mojave?
Sponsored

Angry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
I did and I’m happy with my decision. Here’s how it breaks down:

Pros:: Better mpg, more fun to drive, easier to park,

Cons: Smaller bed, less cabin storage, more road noise.

As for the package upgrade, I bought a lightly optioned California Edition and am having fun doing my own upgrades as I see the need. That part is on you..

UTRZRDOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Self Employed
I sold my fully loaded 2016 Platinum Tundra and purchased a fully loaded Rubicon Diesel. The Tundra was defiantly quieter and had a bunch more room but in 5 years I put 38K miles on the Tundra and in 10 months I have 12K on the Rubicon so that alone tells you how much I enjoy driving it over the Tundra. 25 MPG for the Diesel vs 16 mpg for the Tundra. When it comes to parking and getting around town the Gladiator is so much better. Off road no comparison!!

I would do it again in a second!!

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I did and I’m happy with my decision. Here’s how it breaks down:

Pros:: Better mpg, more fun to drive, easier to park,

Cons: Smaller bed, less cabin storage, more road noise.

As for the package upgrade, I bought a lightly optioned California Edition and am having fun doing my own upgrades as I see the need. That part is on you..
I think Angry stated it perfectly. You're talking about 2 VERY different trucks. My Rubicon Gladiator checks all of the boxes on my list. I don't need/want a full size truck, but I wanted more hauling capability than what I had in my previous 2 Wranglers. I love this thing.

Sponsored

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I sold my 2008 Tundra to buy a new Gladiator Mojave this year and am very happy so far. The Tundra will probably be the most reliable truck I've ever owned but after driving it for 13 years it was still a problem to park in a crowded parking lot. The hood is very high and with the rounded hood corners its just hard to judge what your about to run over or into.

Along with the Tundra's extreme reliability comes extreme boredom, the truck was not exciting to drive. It drove perfect down the highway and straight as can be plus it could haul my 16ft Casita fiberglass trailer effortlessly up the "Cajon Pass" and "The Grapevine", both major freeways up mountain passes in So Cal that will slow some vehicles to a crawl. I routinely did 85mph up both those steep hills without the Tundra even knowing it had a trailer behind it. I have not towed the trailer up any hills yet with the Mojave but I know its going to be a completely different experience and much slower speed.

Now I really look forward to driving the Mojave and its a blast with the top off cruising the local beach towns around here. The Mojave gets a lot of looks and smiles, something the Tundra never gets because its so boring.

Angry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
This ^^^post hits a nerve. My Tundra was a beast for hauling and towing, but at 15mpg downhill with a tailwind. The JT is so much more fun to drive 90% of the time, I don't miss the extra oomph the Tundra had.

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
I think you really need to ask yourself " do I need or want a full size truck". To me, they are very different vehicles not even in the same class. Toyota is going to be bigger, faster, quieter it will hall more tow more. It won't off road as well, while the rear window slides down its still not a complete convertible with removable doors.
Tundra is a great truck so was my Tacoma (which is a better head to head comparison ) but it was boring and uninspiring. The Gladiator is not near as common, its adult lego's you can keep adding and taking stuff off.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I sold my 2008 Tundra to buy a new Gladiator Mojave this year and am very happy so far. The Tundra will probably be the most reliable truck I've ever owned but after driving it for 13 years it was still a problem to park in a crowded parking lot. The hood is very high and with the rounded hood corners its just hard to judge what your about to run over or into.

Along with the Tundra's extreme reliability comes extreme boredom, the truck was not exciting to drive. It drove perfect down the highway and straight as can be plus it could haul my 16ft Casita fiberglass trailer effortlessly up the "Cajon Pass" and "The Grapevine", both major freeways up mountain passes in So Cal that will slow some vehicles to a crawl. I routinely did 85mph up both those steep hills without the Tundra even knowing it had a trailer behind it. I have not towed the trailer up any hills yet with the Mojave but I know its going to be a completely different experience and much slower speed.

Now I really look forward to driving the Mojave and its a blast with the top off cruising the local beach towns around here. The Mojave gets a lot of looks and smiles, something the Tundra never gets because its so boring.
My 2008 Tundra was exactly the way you described yours. But my 2020 Rubicon JT is the most fun vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2018 Limited Tundra. Sold it and bought an Overland with everything except adaptive cruise. I hated that in the tundra. It is easier to park, mileage is a little better, and the top and doors come off. What I miss is the sound and power of a V-8 and sometimes the ride on long trips. I am happy with my decision

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I had a 2013 Tundra. More room, quieter, smoother, less MPG. I bought a Sport S Max Tow and think for most drivers that aren’t using it on a construction site it will haul and tow what you need, has been plenty comfortable for a daily commute, is way easier to park, gets better fuel economy and love the open air. I’ve only been on about a 6 hour day trip with it-not as comfy as the Tundra but it’s fine.