First Name
El Gis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Sales
I hope you don't feel like I was being negative towards you as your reply seemed a bit defensive. I was only trying to say that if you want to go new and can afford it, then why not do it...

It might be helpful if you gave us a real "list of mods" that you want to do. I think you've given mostly generalities making it a challenge for anyone to help you make comparisons, i.e. "several overlanding gear" or "tow capabilities".

What you have called out is (I may have missed some but I think I got the lion's share):
- 5-6" lift
- 37" or 40" tires
- several overlanding gear
- tow capabilities
- ability to run more energy to external sources like a computer etc
- additional aux system
- bedliner
- new rims
- tires
- lift
- potentially a different rack
- overlanding kit
- maybe even a shell
- a wrap
- bumpers
- side rails

#1 - 5-6" lift - Why? That is more of a mall crawling or rock crawling height. Since you've called out overlanding gear a couple of times, I will tell you that is too high for overlanding. The picture I shared is 2-1/2" lift with 37" tires; I'm 5'10" and I have to have two folding stools in the back that I to use to access things in the bed because it's that tall. The reason to lift a vehicle is so that you can put bigger tires under it so that you can get more ground clearance (or for looks). With a 2-1/2" lift you can easily get 35's under any Gladiator and if you put the highline fenders (like the Rubi has) or an aftermarket flat fender on, you should be able to do 37's. Another issue with 5-6"lift/40" tires is that your gas mileage, which already $ucks, is going to really drop. I averaged 14 mpg on my last 2 trips to Moab & Colorado with my lift & tires. So figure you will be less than that for sure.

Honestly, if I had just gotten different rear springs for my JTR (I wound up having customs springs made to handle the weight) then the stock JTR suspension with 35's would have been the way I should have gone. Hindsight is 20/20.

#2 - 37" or 40" tires - Why? Are you going to be rock crawling? I have 37s because I actually do crawl with my JTR about as much as I overland. The 37's help to improve my breakover angle even with the mpg penalty, BUT 35's would give me plenty of clearance on the ground. If you plan on doing light trail/forest service roads/etc. then go to 35's. Your gas mileage will be better, your drive train won't be as hard pressed and your overall weight won't suffer.

**BRIEF WEIGHT DISCUSSION** depending on what model you pick, your usable payload is only going to be around 1100#. Subtract from that your weight, passenger weight, full tank of gas, food, cooler, rack, ad infinitum and there really isn't a lot to play with there. If you go to 37's or 40's, then you have to leave one of those passengers at home or put them in another vehicle. I recently scaled my rig and am 200# over GVWR with a full loadout other than me and my wife (they wouldn't let us be in the vehicle while it was on the scale). Be mindful of all the add-ons eating into your payload capacity.

So, if you only go to 35's, you reserve payload, don't hurt your mpg as much, can be accommodated by any model using a moderate lift, etc.

#3 - several overlanding gear - Not sure what all you would include in this but one thing I would recommend getting is the Mopar Trail Rail System. A lot of cap/canopies/shells actually attach to this. My JTR did not come with this but I ordered and installed myself. Definitely add this option if you plan to use the bed for anything. Another nice option from an overlanding perspective is the power outlet option for the bed. Mine didn't come with this and it would have been nice. I've had to run my own wiring for my canopy and scene lighting but I could have tapped into this. If you'll give more insight to overlanding related gear, there are a lot of us on this forum that could get down to the nitty gritty on it more.

#4 - tow capabilities - what are you planning to tow? Remember, if you start adding a lot of weight with tires, overlanding gear, etc. you are now biting into your ability to tow effectively. As someone already said, you probably don't want to be towing with a 5-6" lift either. However, get the towing package on whatever model you get. Both the Rubicon and the Max Tow come with the heavier and wider axles that will give you a little more advantage on this. But the Rubicon has less payload and towing capacity as it has heavier components spread throughout the truck.

#5 - ability to run more energy to external sources like a computer etc - it really depends on what you are trying to actually accomplish here. I believe any model can get the option group that has a 110V outlet in the console, multiple USB chargers and the bed outlet option mentioned above extends some of that to the bed. If you are thinking more about powering a fridge and using solar, etc., then no model really comes with any options to support that. That is all aftermarket.

#6 - additional aux system - Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean the AUX switches on the main console then YES! YES! YES! But I believe that can be had on any model.

#7 - Bedliner - I think this is a preference thing. Initially, I was glad it came with my rig but now I wish it wasn't. Since I have a canopy and other things mounted in my bed, the bedliner makes it really hard to clean the bed. If I could hit it with the power washer it would be okay, but the way my build is it would be easier for me to clean the bed if it wasn't bedlined. What are you going to be doing with the bed?

#8 - potentially a different rack - I live in Arizona. It's nothing but dust here. All Day. Every Day. I decided to go with an Alu-Cab Canopy for security, environmental control and load carrying capacity for my Roof Top Tent. To each his own here and I don't mean to open up a debate about what is the best rack/shell/etc. Simply stated, I didn't want everything in my bed covered with dirt all the time so that I have to clean it when I want to use it. But this is not dependent on which model you get. I would recommend making sure that whatever you do get has the plastic bed rail caps.

#9 - a wrap - I have no perspective on this. Never used one. Thought about it for protecting the paint but here in AZ, the trails would destroy a wrap. Do you know what is soft in the desert? Not a darn thing!!!

#10 - Bumpers - I have Poison Spider bumpers, front and rear, on both of my JKUR's. I LOVE aftermarket bumpers!!! Gotta say though that the Mopar steel bumpers that come on the Rubicon are pretty darn nice. I took the wings off the front, added a winch plate, and I'd put it up against most bumpers in the aftermarket for both look and functionality. One thing to note here, going back to the weight discussion, IF you do go aftermarket for bumpers, give aluminum bumpers a serious look because you might recover some payload.

#11 - Side Rails - Are you looking for steps too? A lot on the market but I bought and installed TNT Customs Gladiator Adventure Series sliders for my JTR. I have them on one of my JKUR's and they are pure beef, have a good styling and MOST IMPORTANTLY are frame mounted. I have ACE Sliders on the other JKUR and they are not frame mounted; I actually bent my tub because of them. Only go FRAME MOUNTED!

With my diatribe compete (for now) LOL, I would summarize like this: since it sounds like you want overlanding and towing capabilities, you should consider the Max Tow with about all the options you can get, like bed outlet, aux switches, bedliner, bed cargo management. Put a reasonable lift/wheel/tire combo on it and get wheeling. Close second might be the Rubicon or Mojave because of their beefier drivetrains (over the Sport S). I went with the Rubicon because the lockers and T-case were important to me and my use case.
this is exactly the type of feedback i am looking for. thank you much. And i didn't take any offense to what you were saying before, i was actually agreeing with it. I don't want anyone to think i am just looking for someone to come out and confirm something i was already going to do.

i just got back from the overland expo on the east coast and saw quite a few modifications.

i kick myself now for not adding the aux, the trail rail system for cab, etc
i didn't get a bedliner and now the cab gets scratched easily and such.

and i'm not glued to the 40inch tire/5-6 inch lift part. But, since that's the most, i just wouldn't want to go down the route of getting something that wouldn't accomodate it if i wanted to.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
i kick myself now for not adding the aux, the trail rail system for cab, etc
i didn't get a bedliner and now the cab gets scratched easily and such.

and i'm not glued to the 40inch tire/5-6 inch lift part. But, since that's the most, i just wouldn't want to go down the route of getting something that wouldn't accomodate it if i wanted to.
The bed will be scratched when applying the bedliner anyway.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Keep and mod your current rig.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
Aside from seeing some modifications at an overland expo that you want but don't have, what is your Gladiator not delivering for you at the moment?

What are you currently trying to do that your Jeep isn't capable of?

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
These threads are so silly.

Trade in current rig for the same one, to lift it a ludicrous 6" and run 40s on stock axles, for overlanding?

Every point is backwards.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TheRealElGis

First Name
El Gis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Sales

Trade in current rig for the same one, to lift it a ludicrous 6" and run 40s on stock axles, for overlanding?

another value added response

do you have an OF i can tip?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know very little about off roading compared to many here. But I will tell you that the idea of daily driving a 5" lifted Gladiator with 40" tires makes me want to put a bullet in my own head.

I just couldn't drive something that handled that bad and was that slow every day.

Of course everyone's wants are different. Just my .02.

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
thats what i'm evaluating. Being that i've had this jeep for over 2 years and racked up 40k miles, i've noticed a few things that i left out on the options that i would prefer to have. I also added a rack and some miner cosmetic things.

i left out things such as tow package, additional aux system, bedliner. I know they don't cost much to add but......

my thoughts are... if i'm going to spend the $ (possibly around 20k) on new rims, tires, lift, potentially a different rack and overlanding kit, maybe even a shell, a wrap, bumpers, side rails etc

thinking i would start fresh with new model and no miles
a model with the package that includes what i missed, fresh warranty etc

if i get a new one with the same payments and just extend my financing wouldn't that make sense?
I believe that if you do more than a 2" lift then you void your warranty. You can do the MOPAR 2 inch lift with 40 inch tires and have the dealership put it on and keep your warranty in tact. Then when your warranty expires you can go up to a 5 - 6 inch lift. Also, you cannot get the max tow package with a manual transmission. It sounds like you're going to have to make a priority list and pick and choose what you Need vs Want.

Good luck with the do over!

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher

Owning a Jeep and modifying is ridiculous in and of itself, but we all love our Jeeps and enjoy modifying it to our own taste.

Spending Thousands of dollars a year on season tickets to your favorite team is ridiculous, especially, when you can buy an insane big ass TV and watch the game from the comfort of your own home, and if you want the stadium experience invite your friends over and have them bring the beer and food!

My point is we make money to pay bills and have fun. To each his own and spend your money how you want!

OP enjoy your redo, make it what you want.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TheRealElGis

First Name
El Gis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Sales
I believe that if you do more than a 2" lift then you void your warranty. You can do the MOPAR 2 inch lift with 40 inch tires and have the dealership put it on and keep your warranty in tact. Then when your warranty expires you can go up to a 5 - 6 inch lift. Also, you cannot get the max tow package with a manual transmission. It sounds like you're going to have to make a priority list and pick and choose what you Need vs Want.

Good luck with the do over!
thanks for the input! Are you positive on the warranty info? i initially thought the exact same thing, however i was told that it doesn't matter that all the same things covered in the warranty don't change

maybe someone can shed some more color on this. Would be good to confirm

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
thanks for the input! Are you positive on the warranty info? i initially thought the exact same thing, however i was told that it doesn't matter that all the same things covered in the warranty don't change

maybe someone can shed some more color on this. Would be good to confirm
A lot depends on which dealer you use for your warranty work. There are plenty of threads on this site where people have been told their Jeep was out of warranty because of a mod they did. Some people have had just their warranty voided on the parts they changed out and other people have had dealerships void their entire warranty. I would suggest going to the service department of the dealership you plan on using for service and ask their service manager.

OP
OP

TheRealElGis

First Name
El Gis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Sales
A lot depends on which dealer you use for your warranty work. There are plenty of threads on this site where people have been told their Jeep was out of warranty because of a mod they did. Some people have had just their warranty voided on the parts they changed out and other people have had dealerships void their entire warranty. I would suggest going to the service department of the dealership you plan on using for service and ask their service manager.
well now i'm a bit confused....you're suggesting that the warranty for the jeep differs based on the dealer that its bought at? i was under the impression that its a jeep warranty. All my updates are done electronically, i just go through jeep and they send me to the closest service to where i am located at the time.

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
well now i'm a bit confused....you're suggesting that the warranty for the jeep differs based on the dealer that its bought at? i was under the impression that its a jeep warranty. All my updates are done electronically, i just go through jeep and they send me to the closest service to where i am located at the time.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...t-told-me-it-would-void-my-warranty-if.43750/

here is one of the threads that talk about dealerships voiding warranties. you can use the search tool on the forum and see others

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Guess you better call the dealer and see.
Sponsored