Sponsored

Should I try to haul in the bed or get a trailer?

BlueCT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I’m looking to get a pedal boat. I’m looking at a used one and the guy selling it says its about 5x8 and 125lbs. I’m trying to decide if I will be able to fit it in the back and strap it down somehow or if I should spend the time and money and rent a small trailer. I was thinking I might get away with laying it on its side perpendicular to the bed and seeing if I can put two straps across. It wouldn’t have support but I think the straps should keep it in place. I feel like have it in the bed hanging over the side might be ok but not sure how much over the side it would be? Anyone have a similar experience they might be able to share with me?
Thanks
Chris
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If not going very far, put it up on the side rails with the heavy end to the front and strap it down. If any distance, or heavy traffic, get a trailer.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
If not going very far, put it up on the side rails with the heavy end to the front and strap it down. If any distance, or heavy traffic, get a trailer.
This and two straps over the top front and back and two straps around the end overhanging. If the bed is 5’ and the tailgate is about 18” you’re pretty well supported at 8 feet long. You just need to strap it so when you push against it the truck moves instead of the boat within the truck

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Owner says it is "about 5x8"?

Even if used, you should be able to find the exact specs on line if you have the manufacture and model.

I would be more worried about damaging the JT than the boat

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There's also the issue of lifting it up there. You and the seller probably could slide it up onto a trailer. Having back issues, I would never expect anyone I didn't know to be able to help lift anything. I don't have ready access to good help, so I have to figure out how to do things alone or ask in advance what assistance is going to be available.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
If you can put it on it’s side and strap it in it should be fine. I picked up a lift for my Waverunner recently and that is how I had to put it in the bed, worked out fine.

E74CCA72-2DE1-4199-9C71-AFAE06BA3E8F.jpeg

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Do yourself a favor and borrow or rent a trailer.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
If it's 5' wide then it should overhang the edge of the bed by about ~7-8" while resting on the bedrail. That should still be within the edge of the fender flare.

That being said, I agree with the others. This should work to move it once, a relatively short distance. I would not plan on doing this every time you use it. I would for sure invest in a trailer if you are going to be carrying/towing it every time you use it.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
I own a nice flat bed trailer and if I was going to get a pedal boat I would try to put it in the back at an angle up on the bed rails first. Probably upside down

I sure as hell would try before I rented a trailer.

Maybe its just me, but they are not that big or heavy that 2 able body people could not deal with one.
Sponsored