Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I only skimmed this thread, but just a reminder the Comanche could be had as an actual one ton. A metric tonne, at that.

Jeep Gladiator Since the JT is NOT considered a true 1/2 Ton c20
Sponsored

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I like your mud avatar. Was there anywhere on that truck that wasn't covered in mud? I live in the desert, but up in the mountains we get mud during the monsoon, but I've never had that much. Must have been fun.
Thank you man:),yeah the truck was just completely covered it was just the middle that really wasn't covered,but yeah the truck was dirty,

took about 10 hours to get the undercarriage completely spotless and making it look better than new by sparying wd40 everywere,went mudding again and it really just sprayed off effortlessly,not sure how well it could treat you since you reside in the dessert so that wd40 would be a sand magnet i suppose

But yeah it was super fun but boy am I never doing that again 🤣
Fun part was awesome........cleaning not so much

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Thank you man:),yeah the truck was just completely covered it was just the middle that really wasn't covered,but yeah the truck was dirty,

took about 10 hours to get the undercarriage completely spotless and making it look better than new by sparying wd40 everywere,went mudding again and it really just sprayed off effortlessly,not sure how well it could treat you since you reside in the dessert so that wd40 would be a sand magnet i suppose

But yeah it was super fun but boy am I never doing that again 🤣
Fun part was awesome........cleaning not so much
Yeah, I did something like that, but mostly just underneath, after a big monsoon storm. It took me two spray washes and there are still places that have mud. I think I'll wait until it drys out up there before I try that again.

COASTAL CAJUN

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Gladiator 1981 Scrambler
Occupation
Marine Construction
We get it. Not all people can keep a Jeep! No problem. Just glad you enjoyed the experience. Be safe, you will buy another Jeep down the road,.

Sponsored

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I just couldn't resist. And don't get me wrong, I love my truck, and the JT concept, but no where does Stellantis, FCA or Jeep state that the JT is a true half ton or even a 1/2 ton truck. Capacity minus 5 passengers (lets just say at 160 lbs) doesn't leave a lot of cargo weight available for the bed.
I have seen some Overlanding rigs that are way to heavy, and for no good reason.

Jeep Gladiator Since the JT is NOT considered a true 1/2 Ton 111111111FcI7eK2WQAAo9GK_jpg-2525566.JPG
1/5 Ton

OP
OP
Trippin01

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
FCA doesn't state the gladiator as a half ton because it's not... a RAM 1500 is a half ton.

A Gladiator is a small truck, it doesn't compete with F150s, ram 1500s or silverado 1500s on anything but price.
Exactly, so don't pretend and load it up like its a 3/4 ton. ha ha!
Get out, turn on and wheel!

Gmac03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys D
Love my Gladiator, I do wish Jeep made a 1/2 ton pickup though, with all the Jeep quirkiness that an owner comes to expect.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
I don't think any of the manufacturers refer to their full sized trucks as 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton anymore. It's a hold over from decades ago. Typically the 150/1500 series are referred to as light duty and the 250-350/2500-3500 series are referred to as heavy duty. In both capacity and size I'd say a JT is much closer to a true 1/2 ton truck from back when they actually were that.

Sponsored

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
i hauled a pallet of vinyl flooring with mine once. Stopping was fun

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I don't think any of the manufacturers refer to their full sized trucks as 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton anymore. It's a hold over from decades ago. Typically the 150/1500 series are referred to as light duty and the 250-350/2500-3500 series are referred to as heavy duty. In both capacity and size I'd say a JT is much closer to a true 1/2 ton truck from back when they actually were that.
If you look at payload ratings, JT would be considered a true 1/2 ton truck. I agree that all the full size trucks have gone way past the ratings that made them true 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton. That is like 1970's and back thinking.

I remember when Toyota came out in the 1980's offering and advertising their small compact pickup as a "1 TON". It twisted the panties of full size truck owners back then.

Sponsored