Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1984 Land Rover Defender, 2015 Range Rover
Occupation
Photographer / Designer / Builder
Vehicle Showcase
If worried about that... keep a bicycle in the back of your bed. Could make the long walk back home into a nice bike ride.
Sponsored

Gladiator Girl

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Florist
Vehicle Showcase
Loosing sleep is just an expression.
But really. What are the failure items that one should be concerned with?
What has anyone personally experience that we could learn from.
If there's a sensor in every fluid I would think we might want to consider carting some especially if you don't regularly inspect them as I do.
Just hear about a lot of new rigs not working due to a simple item like fluid level or proper hand shake of sensors.

Love my Jeep. Hope it's just as reliable as all my others.
I’m like you in a way. I bought my Overland with lots of extras adding 9000.00 to it and put 6,000 down to keep my payment at 700. So I didn’t get an extended warranty. I have had mine since April nothing has gone wrong knock on wood but I started fretting because seeing issues many minor. So I just paid cash for an extended warranty through Mopar for 1800.00/8 year 75,000 miles. I don’t drive a lot working from home. So rest assured I am now more at ease doing that. Am an enjoying it a lot more peace of mind.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
- One morning my mom went to start her 1976 LTD station wagon and the battery exploded. It literally exploded as in "KA-BOOM!". Luckily, that car was 4-wheeled tank. I think the front end would have blown out on most other cars.
I had that happen with our old '88 YJ - went out to the garage one morning to go to work, twisted the key to start the engine and "BOOOM!" - lifted the hood to see liquid everywhere, and a hole in the side of the battery. Cleaned everything up to try and prevent corrosion and took the other car to work...fortunately there was no sheet metal damage, and a new battery, and copious amounts of baking soda and water to clean stuff up, and we were good to go...

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
Amen on the carb issues, and I could never get the hang of setting points properly.
Want to have fun setting points? The first car I bought was a 1964 Dodge 330 with the 383 Highway Patrol engine under the hood - it had a dual point distributor! Getting those dual points set close enough together could be a challenge at times...sure wish I still had that car!

Sponsored

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a Base model to try and get the least electronics, sensors, bells and whistles possible. Not the sole reason but you don't need that.
I'm scared these new rigs need too many signals and hand shakes to operate and if one is for some reason not seeing/ connecting like in the backwoods what the hell does one do?

So my brother just called. Reason for this post. He has a 2018 Ford F250 and it was completely dead. He had to take another vehicle to work luckily for him he was at home. He finally figured out the powered steering fluid need 3 oz! It was on the minimum line but apparently still needed it. The sensor didn't recognize the fluid at that level.

What are the items that we need to know about our Jeeps? I'm paranoid I will one day jump in and the damn thing won't operate. And I'm 30 miles from any living human.

Any insight on the things that can creap up and catch us or am I just too paranoid with the new technology.

Loosing sleep on this.
I am truly not trying to be an A$$hole here, but maybe you should just get a vintage schwinn bicycle, or walk where you need to go.

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S upgraded
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a Base model to try and get the least electronics, sensors, bells and whistles possible. Not the sole reason but you don't need that.
I'm scared these new rigs need too many signals and hand shakes to operate and if one is for some reason not seeing/ connecting like in the backwoods what the hell does one do?

So my brother just called. Reason for this post. He has a 2018 Ford F250 and it was completely dead. He had to take another vehicle to work luckily for him he was at home. He finally figured out the powered steering fluid need 3 oz! It was on the minimum line but apparently still needed it. The sensor didn't recognize the fluid at that level.

What are the items that we need to know about our Jeeps? I'm paranoid I will one day jump in and the damn thing won't operate. And I'm 30 miles from any living human.

Any insight on the things that can creap up and catch us or am I just too paranoid with the new technology.

Loosing sleep on this.
Wow...
I owned a 68 Pontiac Firebird..a 79 TA, and a 67 Chevy Chevelle. No electronics (nay the HEI distributor), but no computer...no sensors.

I've been stranded untold times by these rides. S happens. Electronics or not. Don't worry about it...and perhaps purchase AAA membership?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I'm the only person here who has NEVER been stranded by a vehicle, old or new - and I drive very vintage stuff at times.

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
I guess I'm the only person here who has NEVER been stranded by a vehicle, old or new - and I drive very vintage stuff at times.
You haven’t owned enough air cooled VWs then!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You haven’t owned enough air cooled VWs then!
LOL - you got me there. Yeah, I've worked on a couple, and wasn't a happy camper having to do so. Give me a big Midwest Energy boom truck, a big tractor, trencher, or let me tune a Citation or change timing belt on a 1980 Honda, but please, no VW air cooled engines!
I know - they dropped valves (heads came off the valves in some cases, messed things up good) and did other fun stuff.
Yes, I've never owned one
And - I worked on my share of Ford products with their electronic ignition -the boxes would get hot and kill the engine. Let them cool and they'd work. The boss pulled several in over the years off I80 where a family was on vacation driving across the country and the car just died. We'd freeze that control unit and the thing would start. Warm it up and it would die. We kept several of those in stock.
And the HEI systems first spec'd a plug gap of .080 - that would generate enough voltage to burn through the rotor, killing the engine. GM eventually back off the spec to .060 and it helped. Better rotors also helped. Still, you could see carbon tracks in the caps at times from stray sparks. And the fine wires on the pickup coil would break when the vacuum advance triggered and flexed those wires - killing the engine. Ford had some similar issues. It would start and run- until vacuum advance worked and flexed the wires - boom, it's dead again.
I have a whole list of things that stranded OTHER people over and over........ none ever happened to me. Still, I don't buy lottery tickets as although I have good luck with cars, it sucks in every other thing.

Sponsored

lvgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
You can go back to a 70's vehicle before electronic ignition and you won't have to worry about computer/ecm/ecu/etc. failure. But your battery could go dead while you are in the middle of nowhere and you're still stranded.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Did none of you guys ever break down on Friday night? I mean, that's about as American as apple pies.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did none of you guys ever break down on Friday night? I mean, that's about as American as apple pies.
Nope. Not on Friday.

I did have one unplanned breakdown when out with who was to become my first wife - driving out to the country in my 68 Javelin, hit a bump and dropped the right side pipe. I found some wire along the rode and she drove it home while I held the pipe up holding the wire with my arm out the window. We had a big laugh over it.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
No, just the opposite: I seem to find myself helping others broke down while on my date. Well, a looong time ago.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Of course the record-breaking derecho I drove home through was tossing tree parts, highway signs and barricades across the highways so anything is possible.
Many years ago I was driving through N. Nevada, came to a patch of highway that they were in process of chip-sealing. The impatient asshole driving a Semi passed me, and the windshield of my car had well over 50 stone chips, the paint on the front end was blasted to oblivion, and there were dents all over like a hailstorm. I was lucky I had my camera in the front seat and got photos of the semi, the owner/company info, and the plates of both the tractor and trailer. I called the company when I got to my destination, and they paid off the car and repaired it to be drive-able, under threat of media and or lawsuit.
Sponsored