Sponsored

So This Just Happened in my Parking Lot

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
I was in my office overlooking the parking lot when I heard a loud bang. I was on a work call so I couldn't look out the window. My girlfriend comes running in about 30 seconds later to tell me somebody hit my car.
Jeep Gladiator So This Just Happened in my Parking Lot 2021-05-26 13.25.06
Jeep Gladiator So This Just Happened in my Parking Lot 2021-05-26 13.33.04

I don't normally park with my back wheel on the sidewalk or in 2 spaces. So the lady hit me hard enough to push me up and onto the curb (about 2 ft) and about 3 ft into the other spot. Thankfully my car protected my girlfriend's car, otherwise we'd be down 2 rides.

Her car did not do nearly as well. She was missing the tire before she hit me, there are scrape marks through the whole parking lot. I tracked them out onto the main road but didn't find the source, the cops said they'd hunt them down.
Jeep Gladiator So This Just Happened in my Parking Lot 2021-05-26 13.37.32
Jeep Gladiator So This Just Happened in my Parking Lot 2021-05-26 13.37.42

The driver was taken away after apparently failing a field sobriety test. I've since seen her running around the parking lot looking for her cat, which escaped shortly after the accident.

I don't know how fast she was going, but apparently she was going at a good clip, especially given that she made a right turn at the end of the parking lot about 20 ft from my car. So clearly held the turn too long and plowed into me.

I'm impressed with how well my Gladiator took the hit, with the bumper and the skid plate taking the brunt of it. Radiator looks fine, as do all the steering and suspension components under there. My only question is, should I be concerned about the transmission and parking pawl? I had the handbrake set pretty tight, so I'm hoping there's no damage in the drive line, I just don't know how to check. Insurance company is currently having "computer problems" so they can't do much for me right now, had to take a paper claim. Thoughts?
Sponsored

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Wow, that really sucks man. Thankfully you and your girl weren’t in it when she hit it. Damn drunk drivers.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
uffda. I would not be surprised if the frame horns are bent. I bet your JT just did more off roading by itself than 75% of all other Jeeps. ;)

Don't start perusing aftermarket bumpers yet... wait until you get the check.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
uffda. I would not be surprised if the frame horns are bent. I bet your JT just did more off roading by itself than 75% of all other Jeeps. ;)

I would not be surprised if the frame horns are bent
Yeah, I'll definitely have them check the frame. I only just got to spend my first weekend driving on the beach fishing last weekend! Now I'm gonna have to wait again.
Pretty good for a mostly plastic bumper, eh?
The bumper and the skip plate definitely did their job here.
I haven't even started shopping yet. I'm waiting to see how the chips fall on this one.

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
That sucks, luckily the beautiful hydro peal paint seems unscathed.

Iam a proponent of shortening the frame horns about 3 inches front and rear because the jeep bumpers are ridiculously erect in my opinion. In this case though it was a clear advantage having the front bumper stick out a foot.

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
I would also suggest a thorough mechanical check. your vehicle was in park. For it to move that far and up a curb, I wonder about the transmission, gears, axles, etc... I'm not a mechanic, but if stuff begins to fail and it wasn't checked, the insurance company could easily say it happened after... Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would also suggest a thorough mechanical check. your vehicle was in park. For it to move that far and up a curb, I wonder about the transmission, gears, axles, etc... I'm not a mechanic, but if stuff begins to fail and it wasn't checked, the insurance company could easily say it happened after... Just my 2 cents.
Totally agree with you

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
That's a nasty hit. If I read that correctly she was tooling around on the rim before contacting you? Clearly a winner.

You'll know right away if the transmission took a pounding. The axles and park brake should be fine otherwise, the hit in the front probably bounced the suspension fairly well as I don't see any drag marks through the leaf litter etc which says to me you rolled back on the front and plopped down on the curb. Beats the alternative of a parking block and bent up bits.

Sorry it had to happen to you but no one is dead or enjoying apple sauce through a tube from here out so it can't be that bad, right?

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Jesus. I am so sorry. Assholes, man...assholes. No respect for people and their hard earned money. They catch em on tape? I know where every camera is in my building and outside of it. I park my JT in clear view of one and have it up on one of my monitors in the office at all times. I know it's Orwellian....but I got a hit and run in my lot a few years ago.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
Good luck with your repair. With luck it's just cosmetics and the bumper did as designed. That was quite the hit, to move your truck like that. Good thing for all it wasn't an innocent person or some kids selling lemonade.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I also guess there's frame damage - at least the left frame horn. Look at that left hook. It's looking to be no longer parallel to the other. Those bolt right to the front of the frame.
Sponsored