Sponsored

Soft paint. Hand wash only.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
I already have a trail rig. I'll take care of my Gladiator. Paint included.
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I remember a few years ago Harley Davidson sales people referring the motorcycles they were selling as an investment. :LOL:
I had the misfortune of driving a buddy to pick up his new/used heritage classic at the local HD superstore.

Those guys called it an investment too as they tried to up sell him BS extras.

Yep. Investment.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
I had the misfortune of driving a buddy to pick up his new/used heritage classic at the local HD superstore.

Those guys called it an investment too as they tried to up sell him BS extras.

Yep. Investment.
You can't own a HD without also owning HD boots, jacket, shirts, belts, jeans, socks, sunglasses, toothbrush, christmas ornament, wall signs (neon, wood and metal), mailbox, door placard and dick tattoo.

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I love a clean and shiny Jeep and work to keep it that way. That said I have not lost any sleep over the multitude of pinstripes and off road scars my Gladiator has endured. I bought it to use it to its potential. In the end at times she will be clean, shiny, challenged, mud covered and flawed.....A perfect Jeep :)

Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I'm not saying to trash it but to baby it with ceramic and PPF and hand detailing like it's a Ferrari is too much for a mass produced American truck that's meant to be used hard.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
White is pretty durable and stays looking clean even when dirty.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
White also is the least rust prone color, irrelevant where I live but a topic of great concern for friends of mine on the East Coast.

Why I always get white. Beat the hell out of it and it still looks great coming out of the automatic car wash.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
When I get my JT (this March, custom order) I will be wheeling it hard, however it will mostly be hand washed, two bucket clayed when necessary ect. For me it’s relaxing to do that work kinda like a hobby. I turn on my tunes fire up the grill and crack a cold one. Did the same for my taco. Had mud from roof to belly inside across the seats dash ect, four days later show room ready and beat up again lol. Rinse and repeat. Over the years aside from having a relaxing hobby of washing, it kept the salt ect off prolonging the paint and under carriage. Looked almost new when I sold it last year, it was a 2007 taco.

Sponsored

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I'm sure most of you know, but it's not the paint, it's the clear coat that you're scratching at the automatic car washes. If anyone can name a manufacture who's clear coat won't scratch from the automatic car washes, let me know. You should be able to buff those out and start hand washing moving forward. Also, just because you get dirt on your vehicle, doesn't mean you will get scratches if you clean it properly. Sure, maybe you will get some 'pitting', but that will not show up.
Just to rant a little, for someone to say they don't have the time to wash their vehicles, maybe this is true, maybe there is some time wasting going on (watching TV, browsing the internet, etc..) that could be minimized. There was a time when I worked nights, and bought some flood lights to wash my car when I got home at 3am. It was a way to make sure my weekends were free.
Anyways, do some research on properly cleaning your vehicle, lots of good stuff on YouTube. I try and get at my truck once a week and spend about 2-3 hours each time. Usually I'll do something like the following
week 1 - wash + dress tires + vacuum
week 2 - wash + wax paint
week 3 - wash + detail interior plastics and leather + vacuum
week 4 - wash + clean windows inside/out + dress tires
week 5 - wash only
and repeat. I don't have a set schedule, but once you get your vehicle in good condition, then you can do more of wash + vacuum weeks, or even skip a week every once in awhile and people think you detail it all the time (I don't, but get comments like this).
One more thing, it was mentioned that paint only last 5 years. This is not true if you take care of it.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
That's your take on it, that's cool. I got t-boned by a Mercurty Grand Marquis in my Ranger, it was worth too much to total. The owner of the body shop told my service writer how ticked he was when I brought my truck back in for a parking brake cable on order. I had Sierra Nevada Pinstripes on it already, and the paint had been perfect when the truck left his shop two weeks earlier.

My Service Writer got it in one: "That's how he uses his truck."

I'm sure most of you know, but it's not the paint, it's the clear coat that you're scratching at the automatic car washes. If anyone can name a manufacture who's clear coat won't scratch from the automatic car washes, let me know. You should be able to buff those out and start hand washing moving forward. Also, just because you get dirt on your vehicle, doesn't mean you will get scratches if you clean it properly. Sure, maybe you will get some 'pitting', but that will not show up.
Just to rant a little, for someone to say they don't have the time to wash their vehicles, maybe this is true, maybe there is some time wasting going on (watching TV, browsing the internet, etc..) that could be minimized. There was a time when I worked nights, and bought some flood lights to wash my car when I got home at 3am. It was a way to make sure my weekends were free.
Anyways, do some research on properly cleaning your vehicle, lots of good stuff on YouTube. I try and get at my truck once a week and spend about 2-3 hours each time. Usually I'll do something like the following
week 1 - wash + dress tires + vacuum
week 2 - wash + wax paint
week 3 - wash + detail interior plastics and leather + vacuum
week 4 - wash + clean windows inside/out + dress tires
week 5 - wash only
and repeat. I don't have a set schedule, but once you get your vehicle in good condition, then you can do more of wash + vacuum weeks, or even skip a week every once in awhile and people think you detail it all the time (I don't, but get comments like this).
One more thing, it was mentioned that paint only last 5 years. This is not true if you take care of it.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
All of my vehicles are hand washed excluding my wife’s 320i that we just turned in. Primary reason though is I just enjoy washing cars. Relaxing I guess. Also being in AZ it’s just not that much work unless you have a dark vehicle.

that said the gladiator and new wrangler have PPF on every panel now so no concerns going forward.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'm not saying to trash it but to baby it with ceramic and PPF and hand detailing like it's a Ferrari is too much for a mass produced American truck that's meant to be used hard.
For people that wheel in forests, and those in the southwest — this is exactly why we use PPF. It really does help long term. But I do know many don’t care about pin striping etc. It’s personal preference tho.

Last edited: