Sponsored

Spare of a different size? Big deal or nah?

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator Mojave, 17 Sienna, 92 VW Cabriolet
Sort of an off-shoot of the "Do we really need a spare?" topic... Thinking of upgrading from 33" to 35" on my Mojave, and some new wheels (keeping @ 17"). I was originally considering buying 5 new wheels and matching tires. Then I realized I could save a lot of $ if I just mounted a cheapo/used 35" to the stock spare wheel. Plus, I'm too lazy to keep doing a 5-tire rotation.
Then the other thread made me think if I should even do that. (The most "off-roading" I'd do is probably just unpaved dirt roads.). In the remote chance I do get a flat, can I just use the 33" temporarily? I couldn't imagine driving more than 20 miles on the spare.
Thoughts?
Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
I wouldn't run a 35/33 , I think it would trigger the posi and maybe traction control? At least run the same size or get a patch kit

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
Don't be a cheap ass. That other thread about not having a spare is asinine. Get a used cheapo 35 for 100 bucks and keep it aired up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KidBobot

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ehhh, you guys are right.... Spoke to my friend that drives a wrecker and he said, it would be fine for short while. But why not just pick up a used/cheap one, vs. always second guessing. He said he'd get me one from his job.

I just bought a new Sunrider for hardtop last week. Then got a new Colt Python (yeah, baby!) on an impulse purchase yesterday. So just trying to justify saving some bucks where I can before the veto committee discovers my... ahem... investments.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
I put 315/70/17 BFGs on my stock Mojave wheels then I bought a used 315/70/17 BFG mounted for $75. Date code puts it at 5 years old and it only has about 5/32s but it'll work in a pinch. I sold my stock tires with the brand new 33 inch spare that came on the truck so it's hard to say but I bet in the end I came out ahead on the deal $ wise by going with the correct size spare.

OP
OP
KidBobot

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Put a Kenda 35x10.50 under there, keep your ground clearance vs. a 12.50, and sell the stock spare to offset the cost. The Kenda is very reasonably priced.
Smart!!!

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had done some research and found that I could get a decent used 35 on Craigslist for less than I could sell my new 33 spare for.

Then I lucked into that Walmart tire deal for some off brand 35s for like $70 each. So I bought 5.
Then I sold 4 of them locally for a $100/tire profit and kept the 5th as my spare.

But either way, a used 35 is under $150.

I had a situation with my wife's Volvo. Our winter tire/wheel is about 2" taller than the standard tires. I hit a rock in the middle of the road (yes) at night and destroyed a tire. I put the spare on and it triggered the traction control because the spare was smaller than the other tires.

I pulled over and let the air out of the winter tires until I got to 25 psi and when I started driving again it was fine. At the next exit I aired up the spare to its maximum, which is crazy high, like 60 psi, and then put 30 in the tires and was able to finish the ski weekend that way.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ehhh, you guys are right.... Spoke to my friend that drives a wrecker and he said, it would be fine for short while. But why not just pick up a used/cheap one, vs. always second guessing. He said he'd get me one from his job.

I just bought a new Sunrider for hardtop last week. Then got a new Colt Python (yeah, baby!) on an impulse purchase yesterday. So just trying to justify saving some bucks where I can before the veto committee discovers my... ahem... investments.
How far are you from Brewster. I'll sell you one new 315/70 for 50$ ( newish. Has 1000 miles)

OP
OP
KidBobot

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m like an hour away. But I actually go up near there every few weeks!
if itā€™s still available the week after next, Iā€™ll take you up on that dealio!!

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if itā€™s still available the week after next, Iā€™ll take you up on that dealio!!
Yea I got 4 of them in my garage, local shop wanted to put beads in them because they couldn't get them under 16 ounces. They would be fine for a spares or trail beater. Lmk. I switched to the generals I have now because I am mostly highway 80mph and the balance on Kenda annoyed me.

Screenshot_20230423-123734.png

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still interested?
Sponsored